Pregnant and planning a WDW trip. Zika concerns!

MommaMinnie

Hey everyone!!! I am new here. So we have planned a trip to Orlando for November 11. We are staying off-site at a vacation rental in Orlando with my parents and our 2 kids who are 5 and 2. I just found out we are expecting! This has naturally sent me into a panic.

Does anyone have any current information on Zika? I really don't want to reschedule the trip to next year. I am DYING to see the look on my 2 years old sons face when we go in the plane, and to watch my daughter be a princess for a day!

Any suggestions and thoughts are welcome!

The Mom

Premium Member
Hey everyone!!! I am new here. So we have planned a trip to Orlando for November 11. We are staying off-site at a vacation rental in Orlando with my parents and our 2 kids who are 5 and 2. I just found out we are expecting! This has naturally sent me into a panic.

Does anyone have any current information on Zika? I really don't want to reschedule the trip to next year. I am DYING to see the look on my 2 years old sons face when we go in the plane, and to watch my daughter be a princess for a day!

Any suggestions and thoughts are welcome!

I have not heard of any reported outbreaks in Florida this summer/early Fall. November is when we start to sit outside in the evening again around here (NE Florida) This link should answer your questions.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-still-a-problem-in-florida-and-the-caribbean

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I was pregnant during this I post ponned my trip. I will tell you this I was there from September 14th to the 25th and I came home with about 10 mosquito bites and that never happens.

September traditionally has the most rain, and is still hot and humid. November is traditionally one of the least rainy months, with lower temperatures and less humidity. This September has had more rain in a short period of time than usual, thanks to Irma. It unfortunately leaves more standing water = more mosquitoes.

But things have dried out considerably, and we in NE FL haven't had any rain in over a week - which has been great for cleaning up hurricane debris and trying to dry out flooded homes. Will change tomorrow. :(

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

Do some research on some bug sprays to see what is safe and effective for you. I was pregnant last summer when the Zika scare started. It was definitely unnerving. I wore and kept bug spray with me a lot. Also, wear some loose linen pants that will keep your legs covered but won't be too hot. Since you are planning on going in November the weather may be cool enough to wear lightweight pants and/or long sleeves. I've also read that Disney does a lot to control the mosquito population around property.

I say go, wear bug spray, and have a great time with your kids.

Oh and congratulations!

Upvote 0

MommaMinnie

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies ladies! I really hate to cancel the trip, my parents are coming with us and are SO very excited. Probably as excited as the kids Are! I hate to be the one to break everyone's hearts.
I definitely plan to discuss this with my doctor asap. I don't want to risk the baby either!
If you all have any other resources or suggestions please let me know as it's so appreciated!

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Here is the official info, it’s an easy read. What it says to me:

1. There were significantly fewer cases in 2017 vs. 2016.
2. The vast majority of those were from people who traveled outside the US.
3. Take precautions (repellent, avoiding being outdoors at dawn and dusk) but don’t panic.

Extra precautions would include dumping any standing water near your room (flower pots, trash can lids, toys left out, etc.) wearing long sleeves, long pants, etc.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/zika-virus/index.html?utm_source=flhealthIndex

Upvote 0

ctcdisneymama

I know plenty of pregnant mamas that have gone to disney lately. They had zero issues and it was okay'd by their doctor. I believe southern Florida is more of a concern of Zika.

I say go! If you're worried, wear buy spray/long sleeves and cover up.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

My wife and I cancelled our WDW trip scheduled for early November last year because of Zika concerns. At the time, we were planning to start trying to get pregnant the following month. From our research, we concluded that the risk was very low, but we also knew that if we went, we would be anxious each time one of us got a mosquito bite and that would take much of the fun out of the vacation.

We were also supposed to go with my parents and my brother's family ... I felt really bad cancelling on them. And I felt even worse when my parents and brother also cancelled because they didn't want to go without me, my wife and daughter.

I think it's a very personal decision on whether to go or not so hard to advise someone else. I asked a number of people at the time and about 75% said they would go and 25% said they would cancel.

Upvote 0

John park hopper

I don't know when mosquito season is @ WDW, was there in early May and did not notice any at all day or night. My DW is the first one to attract mosquitos and she was not bit once.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

As for covering up, I really found that wearing the Columbia Omnishade long-sleeve shirt kept me covered (and protected from the sun) and I actually wasn't any hotter wearing it. I also know that ExOfficio makes bug repellant clothing as well, so there are options for you in addition to wearing bug repellant.

The decision to go/not go is definitely personal and I can totally empathize with you (I'm the Disney nut in in our family and would be very disappointed to cancel a trip). Hope you find peace with whatever decision you make (and congrats on your pregnancy)!

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

If it helps we go every November (including last year) and I have never had one mosquito bite nor has any member of my family in fact i have never even seen a mosquito at Disney in November, I have seen a few lingering love bugs but they won't hurt the baby, I think you will be fine.

Upvote 0

WDWDreamer4

I traveled to WDW last year and found out when we got home that we were expecting. I talked with my OB and there was absolutely no concern about Zika if traveling to Orlando. If you are really concerned talk to your OB, but I would not cancel the trip. WDW is very good with their mosquito control. We normally go in September and never had an issue with bites. Have fun and no worries. Your LOs will have so much fun!

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Talk with your doctor of course, but if it makes you feel better in the last 2 years we've been I think 5 times. I have had 1 mosquito bite and has my son. As stated the concern with Zika in FL over all has diminished and there were significantly less cases in FL this year than last. Only 1 local case and all the rest were travel cases.

Upvote 0

disneygeek90

They still have stands around the parks for bug spray/lotion. Here living in Orlando I haven't heard a word about it in close to a year. People live here, get pregnant, and are fine ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom