Preferred rooms at Port Orleans Riverside

wdwmomof3

Is anyone disappointed that they are now charging for Preferred rooms at POR?:confused: There used to just be a charge for water view, now in order to be close to the food court and bus stops you have to get a preferred room. Don't get me wrong, it's worth the money, I'm just sad that they changed this because requesting those buildings used to be enough. I guess they had a LOT of request for those rooms and saw an opportunity to make more money. I can't blame them.:lol:

I wonder how much a waterfront, preferred room is going to be? :rolleyes::ROFLOL:

Oh well, I sent another 200 to Disney for our 8 night stay. :lol:

captainkidd

Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No.

You'll get plenty of defenders on here saying that Disney is a business after all and they have to make money, blah blah blah. This preferred room crap is just sad. They do it at the Values too. It's done because unlike the Deluxes, there is no balcony so they can't charge you extra for the view you're getting. So, they charge you for where your room is.

I'm just waiting for the day when I have to slide a dollar bill into a machine to use a public restroom at WDW.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No.

You'll get plenty of defenders on here saying that Disney is a business after all and they have to make money, blah blah blah. This preferred room crap is just sad. They do it at the Values too. It's done because unlike the Deluxes, there is no balcony so they can't charge you extra for the view you're getting. So, they charge you for where your room is.

I'm just waiting for the day when I have to slide a dollar bill into a machine to use a public restroom at WDW.

:ROFLOL: I booked this trip in early August and I had no idea about it so it's pretty new.I think it came out a few weeks after I booked. I am just glad that we found out before we got there. I knew that the values did it, and I wondered why they didn't at POR. :lol: Oh well, it's not that big of a deal, but it will be for those who don't know about it. I would have been upset.

Here is my question, I called back today to see what buildings ARE considered preferred and the guy that I spoke to said any close to the food court or bus stop. I asked him what buildings and he said "80,85,90,&95". Then he said building 14 & 15. How can buildings 80 & 85 be considered preferred? Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

GenerationX

80 and 85 both have a bus stop and are very close to Ol' Man Island and the main building.

Before the preferred room policy started, we were lucky enough to get put in building 14. The added convenience is worth the extra $.

Upvote 0

kdshwl

We will be going to POR in three weeks. This is the 1st I heard of the preferred room charges. Is this effective now or in 2011? We had requested Building 14 when we made our reservations.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
We will be going to POR in three weeks. This is the 1st I heard of the preferred room charges. Is this effective now or in 2011? We had requested Building 14 when we made our reservations.

I am not sure when it started. This was the first that I had heard of it too. I booked in August, and apparently it changed sometime in August after I booked. I think it's for 2011 bookings though. I would call and check to see.

We were lucky last time and requested 14 or 15, but we were given a pool view in 16, which made us happy. I do think that it is worth the extra money if you can get close to the main building, but I don't think it's worth the extra money of you don't. That's why I don't understand why so many buildings are being considered preferred. I called back this after noon and they said that most rooms close to ANY bus stop, or ANY pool or the main building are now considered preferred. It's like a rip off for those buildings that are NOT by the main building. IMO:confused:

OK, this is bugging me and I would call them back tonight if they were open. If you go online to book at preferred room, they are showing that there is not a fee for it, only for water view. So why did I have to pay 200.00??? What is going on here?

Upvote 0
I would definitely pay a little extra for a preferred room especially if it was in building 14. DH and I had a King bedroom in building 14 on our stay at POR and it was wonderful. But if preferred rooms are all the rooms close to the pools or bus stops or main building, then that seems a little much. IMO the preferred rooms should be the rooms closest to the main building. Ah well, the nickel and diming continues. Still won't keep me away however, and I guess that's how they can keep upping the prices, we still keep going.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I am not sure when it started. This was the first that I had heard of it too. I booked in August, and apparently it changed sometime in August after I booked. I think it's for 2011 bookings though. I would call and check to see.

We were lucky last time and requested 14 or 15, but we were given a pool view in 16, which made us happy. I do think that it is worth the extra money if you can get close to the main building, but I don't think it's worth the extra money of you don't. That's why I don't understand why so many buildings are being considered preferred. I called back this after noon and they said that most rooms close to ANY bus stop, or ANY pool or the main building are now considered preferred. It's like a rip off for those buildings that are NOT by the main building. IMO:confused:

OK, this is bugging me and I would call them back tonight if they were open. If you go online to book at preferred room, they are showing that there is not a fee for it, only for water view. So why did I have to pay 200.00??? What is going on here?

Are they showing that there is no preferred room available? If that is the case, it is because they might not have one available during the entire length of your stay.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
Are they showing that there is no preferred room available? If that is the case, it is because they might not have one available during the entire length of your stay.

I am booked with a preferred room so I am covered.:)

I would definitely pay a little extra for a preferred room especially if it was in building 14. DH and I had a King bedroom in building 14 on our stay at POR and it was wonderful. But if preferred rooms are all the rooms close to the pools or bus stops or main building, then that seems a little much. IMO the preferred rooms should be the rooms closest to the main building. Ah well, the nickel and diming continues. Still won't keep me away however, and I guess that's how they can keep upping the prices, we still keep going.

That's exactly what I feel like it should be. I don't mind walking a little bit to the bus stop, or to the pool, but I do like being close to the main building because of the kids & DH and his morning coffee. (He will not make it in the room:rolleyes:) Believe me, I'll be the first to tell you that a preferred room fee is worth it to be close to the main building.:)

Here is the thing, they are showing online that there is not an extra fee for preferred rooms when you go in to book it. I tried and it didn't change the total. Yet I called and they charged me 200.00 more dollars. I would THINK that if they had that option, there would be a charge so I am thinking the online option is not working right. It should be adding a fee. Right? If this is the case, I wonder what will happen to all of those who booked it online? All I know is that there is a problem somewhere with it.:lookaroun:lol:

*** I just called and asked and she said that when you update it the total will change. The total changed for water view without updating so I don't know. Anyway, there is a fee for it, as it should be. So, anyone who wants a preferred room should call and make sure that the online system did add it, if the total didn't change.

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

Well, the way I look at it is: getting a "preferred room" before they implemented the charge was kind of like the lottery--maybe you get it, maybe you don't. It was a request--nothing more--and they weren't obligated to fulfill the request.
NOW, if you really want one of those rooms--enough that you are willing to pay for it--you can pay and get one.

So, yeah, it kind of stinks, but it DOES let you guarantee a certain level of convenience. I have to admit that I'd be a little disappointed to check in and find that the only room available for me was in the building furthest away from the main building, etc.. Of course, disappointed at POR is probably better than a good day at my own house. :)

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
Well, the way I look at it is: getting a "preferred room" before they implemented the charge was kind of like the lottery--maybe you get it, maybe you don't. It was a request--nothing more--and they weren't obligated to fulfill the request.
NOW, if you really want one of those rooms--enough that you are willing to pay for it--you can pay and get one.

So, yeah, it kind of stinks, but it DOES let you guarantee a certain level of convenience. I have to admit that I'd be a little disappointed to check in and find that the only room available for me was in the building furthest away from the main building, etc.. Of course, disappointed at POR is probably better than a good day at my own house. :)

I totally agree!!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

gallerie

I must be the exception but I like a quite room away from the bustle after a long day of fighting crowds. I don't mind a quiet walk back to my room or to the bus stop

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I must be the exception but I like a quite room away from the bustle after a long day of fighting crowds. I don't mind a quiet walk back to my room or to the bus stop

Depends on the resort. At the Poly, GF or WL, it's no big deal. But at a resort like Riverside or Old Key West, it can be a REAL long walk.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

This sums it up quite well. Every time I make requests for a room at PORS for either myself or a client is was always the same thing....rooms close to the food court or bus stops. It was always a crap shoot as to whether they would get or not. The same thing was true to a lesser extent of the king bed rooms before they made those a specific category. Now a good location can be guaranteed and that of course has to come at a price.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Ive always understood that you had to pay for a room close to the food court and a king size bed. But how is it fair to pay $145 for a king size bed at CBR? were staying at POLY, and a king is not even available, but they want an extra $200 a night for a water view. I dont really care, but come on, quit nickle and diming for every little thing. Isnt $450 a night enough?:shrug:

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This sums it up quite well. Every time I make requests for a room at PORS for either myself or a client is was always the same thing....rooms close to the food court or bus stops. It was always a crap shoot as to whether they would get or not. The same thing was true to a lesser extent of the king bed rooms before they made those a specific category. Now a good location can be guaranteed and that of course has to come at a price.
That happened to us. We requested joining rooms with my parents. Once we got there, I was excited that we at least got 3 rooms down from my parents. Glass half full right. They could have accommidated us once we checked in, but we would have been moved and my parents would have had to check out, and check back in. That is crazy.

We took it in stride and it didnt ruin our time.

Upvote 0

si23

i didnt book prefer room at caribbean resort i just requested it on the booking and ended up getting one and save myself a lot of money as the prices for uk people are ridiclous

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
That happened to us. We requested joining rooms with my parents. Once we got there, I was excited that we at least got 3 rooms down from my parents. Glass half full right. They could have accommidated us once we checked in, but we would have been moved and my parents would have had to check out, and check back in. That is crazy.

We took it in stride and it didnt ruin our time.

We also have two other rooms booked at POR as well, one with preferred (Sis & family)and one with out (Parents). My mom is refusing to pay another dime because they have the added expense of flying down and all of that so who knows what will happen there. When I booked her trip, I did request to have them in a certain building, but I have no idea what will happen with that. I told her the risk of not getting it, but if they do... whoo hooo!! Plus, they will have saved 200.00 more. :D If they don't though, we may have an extra car down there for them to use to drive to the main building. :lol:

Keeping fingers crossed... we are months away and I am already stressing over all of this.:ROFLOL:

editing to add: I did ask them about this and they said that with a grand gathering, they try to get you as close as they can to each other so we will see.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We also have two other rooms booked at POR as well, one with preferred (Sis & family)and one with out (Parents). My mom is refusing to pay another dime because they have the added expense of flying down and all of that so who knows what will happen there. When I booked her trip, I did request to have them in a certain building, but I have no idea what will happen with that. I told her the risk of not getting it, but if they do... whoo hooo!! Plus, they will have saved 200.00 more. :D If they don't though, we may have an extra car down there for them to use to drive to the main building. :lol:

Keeping fingers crossed... we are months away and I am already stressing over all of this.:ROFLOL:

editing to add: I did ask them about this and they said that with a grand gathering, they try to get you as close as they can to each other so we will see.
This is correct. Medical issues are all that I know of that will take precedence over Grand Gathering requests.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom