Pottey Swats Disney

Any UNI park more visitors than at least one WDW park first full year after Potter 2.0

• Total voters

The Empress Lilly

Original Poster
Thought this might be a fun spin-off from another thread. Will Potter phase 2 mean that an Orlando Universal park surpasses a WDW park in attendance?

First full year after Phase 2 opens. Any Universal Orlando park beating any Disney World park. Based on TEA numbers.

Get your predictions in! Votes should show up publicly.

For reference, here are current TEA numbers:

AK 2009: 9,590,000 2011: 9,783,000 Change: +193,000
DHS 2009: 9,700,000 2011: 9,699,000 Change: -1000
Epcot 2009: 10,990,000 Epcot 2011: 10,825,000 Change -165,000
IOA 2009: 4,627,000 2011: 7,674,000 Change +3,047,000
UNI 2009: 5,530,000 2011: 6,044,000 Change +514,000

Disneyhead'71

I voted "Yes". I think there is a very real chance that both Universal Resort Orlando parks will surpass both DHS AND DAK.

But the new "moderate" 1800 room Cabana Bay family suites resort is a big factor in why I think that. Right now, a lot of people are "base camping" at WDW for their Universal visits. And if Universal undercuts WDW's price points, which they will, people will stop "base camping" at WDW. And that will be bad, not only for WDW's attendance numbers, but their bottom line as well.

I do know that TDO absolutely flipped out when they got wind of the new resort. Universal is going for the jugular when they attempt to cut into WDW's occupancy rates.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if USF doesn't come close to equaling one of the WDW parks BEFORE Potter 2.0 opens.

BenSmith

Just Potter 2.0, maybe not. Transformers, Potter 2.0, simpsons expansion, and a rumored JP or Seuss expansion may make attendance surpass both AK and DHS

BryceM

I voted "yes". Why?

- Cabana Bay "moderate-value resort" resort. That will entice a lot more people to stay on property, since the rooms rates are expected to be much lower than the other 3 hotels.
- Harry Potter Phase 2. If this has the same or greater effect on the attendance like the current Wizarding World has done for Islands of Adventure, then I surely expect a dramatic spike in attendance just based on this one expansion.
- Transformers: The Ride
- Springfield expansion.
- New Jurassic Park attraction in Islands of Adventure

Plus, the current draw for the Wizarding World at Islands of Adventure is still in full force. Hence the massive raise in attendance and how it seems rarer and rarer to find a "slow" day at Islands of Adventure. Plus, the park has almost reached capacity a lot of times the past two weeks.

BryceM

Ooo what Simpsons expansion!?!? You've got me intrigued.
Springfield is currently being constructed around The Simpsons Ride. The International Food & Film Festival restaurant has been demolished and is expected to be replaced by Moe's Tavern and Krusty Burger. Also, there is rumor (or fact, can't remember) of one or two new rides being added to the area. Also expect a more complete recreation of Springfield.

You can see some updates and construction pictures here: http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/the-simpsons-expansion/

DisneyPrincess5

Springfield is currently being constructed around The Simpsons Ride. The International Food & Film Festival restaurant has been demolished and is expected to be replaced by Moe's Tavern and Krusty Burger. Also, there is rumor (or fact, can't remember) of one or two new rides being added to the area. Also expect a more complete recreation of Springfield.

You can see some updates and construction pictures here: http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/the-simpsons-expansion/
Oh we how exciting-thanks!

djlaosc

Ooo what Simpsons expansion!?!? You've got me intrigued.

The rumour is...

Removing International Food and Film Festival for what is believed to be a variety of Simpsons quick service restaurants (Krusty Burger/Moes Tavern/Kentucky Fried Panda/General Changs Taco Italiano) or one restaurant with multiple facades outside.

Kodos and Kang ride like Dumbo

Duff Gardens bar on the waterfront

Theming of The Simpsons cars outside of the Kwik-E-Mart, etc.

Mr Bill

With nothing lined up for DHS in the near future and Disney's extremely slow construction pace, I don't see attendance going up there at all between now and when Potter Phase 2 opens. With everything that will be opening at USF and IOA in the same timespan along with Universal's aggressive behavior lately, I can easily see them getting past DHS.

John

Everyone has a real nice take on the subject. I voted yes.....why? Not only because of what UNI is doing but a combination of what UNI is doing....what Disney is/isnt doing. The early returns on NexGen are mixed at best. FL although beautiful....BOG is its biggest draw, REALLY? Besides FL the addition that has made the most noise here has been a Starbucks addition. Heck, you could take HP 2.0 out of the equation and with the other additions UNI is making it will still have an impact. Would it overtake a WDW park? Dont know, but with HP 2.0 we are soon going to find out. Does it matter if they dont? Heck no. I dont think UNI has to....its all about percentages and cutting into the bottom line that matters. That is the real question here....Does the new additions that UNI is building cut into WDWs bottom line.

wdwfan4ver

While I never went to Universal theme park, I see at least of the parks to have more attendance then DHS a year after potter 2.0 opens and possibly AK. It goes to multiple reasons.

Universal is already mentioned having a new moderate hotel and Disney is going to take a hit from a hotel standpoint.

I think the Transformers the ride is going to help attendance a little since Transformers does have a big fan base. Trust me on Transformers because how do explain there has been Transformers conventions since the 1990's. That means by the time Harry Potter 2.0 is open, Universal already would have a slight increase due to Transforms.

Universal also has Simpsons expansion and a New Jurassic Park attraction in Islands of Adventure. I think Harry Potter 1.0 is still in full force and that means potter 2.0 is the juggler.

All this means a family will be spending less days at WDW since there really isn't anything new in the parks not named Magic Kingdom when Potter 2.0 is open. Test Track would be over a year old by the Potter Expansion 2.0 is done. Universal would be offering a lot new stuff in their parks and that means a lot of people be checking out Universal. Once FLE is done, WDW isn't offering anything new to people before 2016 or 2017. I am sorry to say that, but people get interested when a theme park offers a lot of attractions besides having a cheaper moderate hotel.

The only things WDW might be offering new in 2016 or 2017 is Avatarland and possibly Carsland. That means it would be too late for AK and DHS for keeping their advantage over Universal. Disney is at fault for this. Disney shouldn't have waited 5 years to announce something new for AK. AK at the time when Everest opened was not a full day park to people. DHS had a least a year now to announce something where Sound Dangerous building, but TDO decided to keep it empty before the holidays.

TDO is simply is being cheap and that means Universal is able to take advantage of that as result without any problem.

Britt

I'll be there in line with you! I'm dying to find out what they've got up their sleeve! Uni is not really my thing, something about the atmosphere that doesn't work magic for me. But oh boy, have they got some great rides! :eek:
Me too! I really thought it was just me! We went to WDW for 3 days, then the beach, back to a WDW park the next day and then to UNI for Potter World on our last day.

I found myself feeling really uncomfortable for some reason! The loud music, open smoking....the over the top advertisements...it just felt weird and uncomfortable. I found myself wanting to leave as soon as we were done with Potter World...lol

Disneyhead'71

Under construction right now at URO:

Transformers: The Ride 3D
Springfield with Kodo and Kang's Round Ride, Moe's Tavern, Kentucky Fried Panda, Gen. Chang's Taco Italiano, and Duff Gardens
Cabana Bay Resort: A "moderate" price with 900 hotel rooms, 900 Family Suites
The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley

Rumored additions:

Jurassic Park Expansion: few details, but expect more than than just a new ride
KidsZone redo: no details

It says a lot that on a WDW centric fan forum, 80% of the people who have responded believe that at least one URO park will surpass at least one of WDW's parks.

BryceM

Me too! I really thought it was just me! We went to WDW for 3 days, then the beach, back to a WDW park the next day and then to UNI for Potter World on our last day.

I found myself feeling really uncomfortable for some reason! The loud music, open smoking....the over the top advertisements...it just felt weird and uncomfortable. I found myself wanting to leave as soon as we were done with Potter World...lol
Ew, you saw open smoking?! They have designated smoking areas, why can't people just do what they're told? Haha.

Disneyhead'71

Did you give The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man a go? Universal has some of the most amazing attractions ever built.
I really haven't experienced much open smoking at either Universal parks (HHN excluded). At least not any more than I see in the WDW parks.

I will give you that the Universal Parks are more high energy than the Disney Parks, but I don't view that as a bad thing. But I have heard that it makes some Disney Fans nervous.

Maybe another visit now that you know that Universal is really not even attempting to be Disney. They are a "thing" in their own right.

dreamscometrue

Potter has helped Uni immensely, but the one thing not often noted when these amazing IoA numbers are shown is that in 2004, IoA was at 6.3 million. From 2004 until 2011, IoA increased by 1.4 million, or about 22% in total. Nice, but not staggering. After 2004, IoA was in really bad shape and continued to freefall. Good for them for putting in so much money, but thruth is, they had to do something. IoA had attendance numbers not a lot better in 2008 and 2009 than some seasonal parks. Without an infusion of a billion dollars or so, it would have by now been a central Florida afterthought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom