Post a picture of your "Room" at Fort Wilderness.

stratman50th

Original Poster
Since Fort Wilderness is considered a "Moderate Resort", maybe on the cabins, post a picture of what you stay in while at the Fort. Yes, people stay in tents and that's wonderful! There is much more there. Based on the "What resort do you think you'd never stay at" thread I think there may be a misconception of the accommodations that are parked there. Pictures of the cabin you stayed in are welcome too.

Heppenheimer

I don't have any pictures, but I remember as a kid that the inside of the cabins were very spacious, clean, comfortable and well-equipped. Perhaps when people read the word "cabin", they're thinking of a bare-bones wooden structure with a concrete floor, cots with smelly/spotty mattresses and a decor of copious spiderwebs. The better description than "cabins" would be "villas".

Now that I have my own family, I would gladly stay there again if we ever grow too large for the Wilderness Lodge.

Weather_Lady

There's a photo tour of a FW cabin from after the 2015-16 refurb here. They're lovely, and other than the bathrooms, are similar in scale and amenities to a DVC villa (as @Heppenheimer already observed): https://yourfirstvisit.net/2016/02/...rness-resort-kitchen-living-and-dining-rooms/

I never stayed in a cabin, but I stayed in the campground (in a pop-up camper, towed from home) many times growing up, and can testify that even for those accommodations, the sites and comfort stations are "high end" compared with the typical campground. The sites were well-manicured and maintained, and the comfort stations were well-equipped. It was "glamping," really, and I'd choose it over a value resort any day if I owned a camper. Tour here: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2015/06/01/the-comfort-stations-at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort/

Last edited:

stratman50th

Original Poster
We haven't done it, but one of these days we might bring our camping trailer over.
Here is the model we have...from another site.
Staying at the Fort is highly recommended! The price is still relatively reasonable, by Disney standards anyway. You have your house with you as well as your own yard complete with picnic table. A bargain at twice the price. ;)

Weather_Lady

Club Cooloholic

That's a terrific layout -- one of the most practical and efficient ways to comfortably sleep 4 I've ever seen in a camper that size.
It's worked out perfect for us. The bunks are deceptively big too. A lot of the smaller trailer Bunkhouses have short and thin bunks that are tough for an adult. But nights where my son has had a nightmare I switch with him and sleep in there fine and I'm over 6 feet tall.
And only 4k dry.
That said discovered there was a leak in the roof at the end of this past summer, over 5k to repair! Lucky for insurance

epcotisbest

While this is not a photo of our site, it is a photo I snapped while riding bicycles through the loops one day. Noticed this, thought it was funny and stopped and took the photo while the furry guy posed.

F92B93C4-1418-43D1-A320-C7F809F0AE15.jpeg

DreamalittleDisney

We stayed at WL but were drawn to just walk around FW especially at night we went last October when everyone one had their Halloween decorations out on a night ..
Also loved the chip and dale dance such a nice relaxed feel

Cabins looked great but we are from the UK and we dont have anything like the RVs that were parked up they looked amazing we looked at renting one of them and a pitch but did not work out cost effective 😁🤣

stratman50th

Original Poster
My last trip to Disney was in 2012 and said I wouldn't go back any time soon. My wife had seeing Christmas decorations on her bucket list. We only live 30 minutes away so it was a short drive. Some friends were staying at the Fort over the second week of December (2018) and talked us into joining them. Yup, I got talked into it. It wasn't too hard since our coach needed to be run and it was over my wife's birthday. We had an awesome travel agent who hooked us up and got us a site next to our friends. Soooo, I caved and I got 4 day park hopper. I also rented a golf cart for the entire time. You all bored yet? Turns out I really enjoyed my stay at Fort Wilderness. The price wasn't as much as we've paid for some other places we've stayed at and there really is a lot to do without even leaving the campground. We went to three parks and my wife got her fill of decorations. Also did some resort hopping to see what they did for the holidays. Still wasn't impressed with the parks which were way too crowded for me to enjoy. The best part of the trip was going through all the loops on the golf cart and looking at how the campers had decorated their sites! Pretty amazing actually. So I really enjoyed the campground. She even did some decorating of her own on our bus.
Fast forward to May 2019. We had one day left on our park hopper so we drove over and stayed for 5 days. She got to go to the flower and garden and the rest of the time we resort hopped and hung out at the pool.

The takeaway from this is while I still feel the same way about the parks, I have a new found appreciation for Fort Wilderness and will go again. It's nice to come back to your own "home" after a day in the parks or running around. We bring our own food so it doesn't cost us any more than being at home for meals. The price gouging is my biggest objection and we were able to avoid that part so I didn't feel used. I would recommend the campground to anybody who can swing it. Bring your own tent, camper, or rent a cabin. You can even rent campers from an outside vendor and they'll set it up for you. Just do it for the experience.
Here is a picture of how she decorated our bus. Not as crazy as a lot of the sites but it was fun. Sorry it's kinda hard to see through the windshield, but that's Mickey, Minnie and the goof. They all move and are lit with Christmas type stuff. It looked way better after dark.

Last edited:

Simba’s Mom

Although I don't have any pictures, I'm a huge fan of the FW cabins. Our first 3 stays were in the cabins, or as they were called then, the Fort Wilderness Trailer Homes. A few years ago, we returned there for a few nights just for the nostalgia. Meantime we've been DVC members. When the kids were little, it was perfect. There was a separate bedroom, a kitchen (I can still remember making Kraft macaroni and cheese one night), a kitchen table (where we played Skippo), and in the morning, we ate breakfast in PJ's in our cabin. At night it was so quiet, so we could put the kids to bed in their separate bedroom early. Yet, I can't believe someone asked me years later "Is there only cold water?" Definitely not like camping, even HOT water!

Hcalvert

I stayed at Fort Wilderness in 2016. For a moderate, I did not think it was too bad and we needed a room for 5 people. We ended up renting a golf cart to get around. Everyone was really nice. It was really quiet too. During my last 3-4 trips, I began renting points for the same amount a cabin costs (before the additional cost of a golf cart), but I would stay again if I had a good deal. I'll have to look through my pictures more, but these two I found on my phone---one in the living room/kitchen and the other at the kiddie pool.
13522869_10210294706824245_4205027845857070004_o.jpg
13522962_10210294714824445_5903949834901385069_o.jpg

ELG13

We stay in the cabins every year! And it's the eonlg place we will stay. We love the space and the quiet. I'm sad to see all the changes coming as I'm afraid it will ruin our "secret" lol. We have seen so many animals on our late night /early morning golf cart rides!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom