Post-1984 Magic Kingdom Attraction Quality

geekza

Original Poster
Okay, this is just a thought experiment. For the record, I still love WDW and look forward to visiting. I realize that everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that differing viewpoints about things like this are equally valid.

Just for giggles, however, lets take a look at just the current attractions that are in the MK that were built after Eisner came in and talk about whether or not they live up to the standards set by the company, pre-Eisner. If all of the pre-Eisner attractions were to disappear today and these were what was left, how would they be judged? Again, the MK is more than the sum of its parts. I think it's just worthwhile to judge each attraction on its own merits and discuss whether or not they meet the high expectations placed upon Disney attractions. Personally, I find they run the gamut from mediocre to acceptable, with a few that are as good as it gets at any theme park and that are what I consider to be classics.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
Nifty and fun for kids, but not really something exciting or that will have staying power. The same type of technology is used to greater effect at Magic Quest in Myrtle Beach, so it's not something that is uniquely Disney or that is being done better by Disney.

Magic Carpets of Aladdin
It's a nicely-themed carnival ride. Nearly-identical experiences can be had at any given regional amusement park.

A Pirate's Adventures
See "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom." Fun, and pretty well-done, but nothing special or unique.

Splash Mountain
A home run. Well-designed, fun, and with lots of bang for your buck. Splash Mountain is a classic.

The Muppets Present... Great Moments in American History
Cute and funny, but just puppets lip-syncing to a recorded track.

Enchanted Tales with Belle
Although I've only seen videos, I think this one is beautifully done and the kind of thing that would blow a kid's mind and make them a fan for life. The animatronics are wonderful and the physical environment is exquisite.

Mickey's PhilharMagic
It's a 3D movie with some in-theater effects. Cute, but the same experience available at any number of other tourist areas. Unmemorable.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
I think this one is a missed opportunity. Since it was taking the place of a beloved and classic dark ride, it really needed to deliver. It only partly does. The mine section is fantastic. The swinging cars are a really nice touch. With that said, the coaster sections may as well not exist, they're so brief. I know it gets long lines, but part of that is because of the length of time it takes to load and unload and the fact that it's still the newest major attraction in the park. There's not much about it that will have lasting impact. This was a victim of budget cuts.

The Barnstormer
I cut it some slack because it never claimed to be a major attraction, but it's a pretty bog-standard off-the-shelf kiddie coaster.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
I consider this an "almost great" attraction. The ride vehicle movement adds a lot and there are some really nicely-done sections of the ride. It's hard for me to put my finger on what keeps it from being a classic. I think it's too short. What's there is good, but you barely have time to adjust to the "feel" of a room before it moves on to the next one. It feels like an attraction that wasn't given enough time and resources to perfect before it was built. A rough draft.

Journey of the Little Mermaid
I enjoy this ride and like the animatronics. I can totally see where people are coming from, however, when they complain that it seems like the budget version of a better ride and that it lacks any sort of climax. Again, this seems like a victim of budget cuts and deadlines.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
I've never liked this ride. It just feels thrown together. It's like a temporary space-filler that became permanent when they realized that people would still line up to go on it, even if it was pretty shoddy.

Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
For what it is, it's a fun show for families. I'll never be able to completely connect with it, however, because I'm always aware that it's a giant screen. It's almost Brechtian in its presentation. You are always aware of its artificiality.

Stitch's Great Escape
...BURP (Hopefully it's gone for good.)

danheaton

Splash Mountain is the big exception to the rule like you mention. I do think that if you include other parks, there are great examples like The Tower of Terror that are among the best Disney has ever done. I don't have arguments with most of your takes. I do like Buzz Lightyear; it just needs an update to at least match the Buzz rides in CA or Paris. 7DMT is a lot of fun despite being short. I think the expectations are too high given the long lines.

I will say that some attractions that are now gone that appeared under Eisner like the Alien Encounter and Timekeeper were awesome. They were just replaced by worse attractions. The '80s and early '90s were still great. It's more the second half of Eisner's tenure (and then Iger's too) where it starts to slip.

kjb101791

Wishes is a classic and is missed, but Happily Ever After blew my mind the first time I saw it. I am not inclined to think any fireworks are better than or worse than any others, but the synchronization and presentation is insane. The soundtrack isn't quite as good as Wishes, but both are post-1984 current and future classics from where I sit.

geekza

Original Poster
Splash Mountain is the big exception to the rule like you mention. I do think that if you include other parks, there are great examples like The Tower of Terror that are among the best Disney has ever done. I don't have arguments with most of your takes. I do like Buzz Lightyear; it just needs an update to at least match the Buzz rides in CA or Paris. 7DMT is a lot of fun despite being short. I think the expectations are too high given the long lines.

I will say that some attractions that are now gone that appeared under Eisner like the Alien Encounter and Timekeeper were awesome. They were just replaced by worse attractions. The '80s and early '90s were still great. It's more the second half of Eisner's tenure (and then Iger's too) where it starts to slip.
I agree about what you mentioned about the latter part of Eisner's tenure being the point where things really started to change. I think that Frank Wells was really good at balancing out Eisner's less-favorable attributes and, once he passed away, there wasn't anyone around who was on a level playing field with Eisner and whom he respected enough to accept criticism from.

I wasn't as drawn to Timekeeper as some, but I can definitely see its value and can appreciate why it was beloved.

Alien Encounter knocked my socks off.

geekza

Original Poster
Splash Mountain is the big exception to the rule like you mention. I do think that if you include other parks, there are great examples like The Tower of Terror that are among the best Disney has ever done.
I wanted to keep the topic to MK, simply because it's the only park where the original team had a long enough time to be able to judge a difference between how they built and ran the park and how it was done afterward. Eisner came in only a year after EPCOT Center opened, so, although "Walt's people's" hands were all over the opening day EPCOT, they didn't really get a chance to "plus" it and fix its issues over a reasonable period of time before they were out the door.

JohnyKaz2078

Okay, this is just a thought experiment. For the record, I still love WDW and look forward to visiting. I realize that everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that differing viewpoints about things like this are equally valid.

Just for giggles, however, lets take a look at just the current attractions that are in the MK that were built after Eisner came in and talk about whether or not they live up to the standards set by the company, pre-Eisner. If all of the pre-Eisner attractions were to disappear today and these were what was left, how would they be judged? Again, the MK is more than the sum of its parts. I think it's just worthwhile to judge each attraction on its own merits and discuss whether or not they meet the high expectations placed upon Disney attractions. Personally, I find they run the gamut from mediocre to acceptable, with a few that are as good as it gets at any theme park and that are what I consider to be classics.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
I think this one is a missed opportunity. Since it was taking the place of a beloved and classic dark ride, it really needed to deliver. It only partly does. The mine section is fantastic. The swinging cars are a really nice touch. With that said, the coaster sections may as well not exist, they're so brief. I know it gets long lines, but part of that is because of the length of time it takes to load and unload and the fact that it's still the newest major attraction in the park. There's not much about it that will have lasting impact. This was a victim of budget cuts.

Agreed. Most of the attractions built after 1990 don't have the charm that the older ones had (except of Splash Mountain of course).

But I have to disagree about one attraction. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It is obvious that Disney really knew what they were doing when the designed the ride. It combines a family rollercoaster with a classic fairytale. The scenery is excellent despite being surrounded on all sides by pathways and other rides, the mine scene is fantastic and so is the queue.

The fact that it doesn't pay much attention to the story of snow white isn't something that downgrades the attraction. Since Snow White's Scary Adventures wasn't a very popular dark ride and the ride takes place in a mine, it wouldn't make sense to tell the story of snow white without recreating the original attraction. In short there would be another dark ride without really being necessary (there are already 4 dark rides in Fantasyland).

And it's long wait times can mostly be attributed to the fact that it applys to young and old, boys and girls. That's why it's brilliant and really stands out in MK and the rest of WDW. Let's look at Frozen Ever After: it opened just 2 years ago and while there was a mad-dash for it the first few months its popularity has died down a lot since then. I visited EPCOT 2 months ago on a busy day (yep I was very unfortunate :)) and while Test Track had 100min+ wait from rope drop until closing, FEA never reached triple digits and at its busiest the wait time was 90 minutes (a mere 10 minutes above Spaceship Earth and Nemo). And also considering that SDMT has been here since 2014 I really think that the reason behind its huge waits is both its charm and the fact that it is fun for all ages.

geekza

Original Poster
Agreed. Most of the attractions built after 1990 don't have the charm that the older ones had (except of Splash Mountain of course).

But I have to disagree about one attraction. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It is obvious that Disney really knew what they were doing when the designed the ride. It combines a family rollercoaster with a classic fairytale. The scenery is excellent despite being surrounded on all sides by pathways and other rides, the mine scene is fantastic and so is the queue.

The fact that it doesn't pay much attention to the story of snow white isn't something that downgrades the attraction. Since Snow White's Scary Adventures wasn't a very popular dark ride and the ride takes place in a mine, it wouldn't make sense to tell the story of snow white without recreating the original attraction. In short there would be another dark ride without really being necessary (there are already 4 dark rides in Fantasyland).

And it's long wait times can mostly be attributed to the fact that it applys to young and old, boys and girls. That's why it's brilliant and really stands out in MK and the rest of WDW. Let's look at Frozen Ever After: it opened just 2 years ago and while there was a mad-dash for it the first few months its popularity has died down a lot since then. I visited EPCOT 2 months ago on a busy day (yep I was very unfortunate :)) and while Test Track had 100min+ wait from rope drop until closing, FEA never reached triple digits and at its busiest the wait time was 90 minutes (a mere 10 minutes above Spaceship Earth and Nemo). And also considering that SDMT has been here since 2014 I really think that the reason behind its huge waits is both its charm and the fact that it is fun for all ages.
I think 7DMT is far from bad; it's just not what it should have been. Like I said, the mine section is amazing. There's just very little to the coaster section of it. It's too brief to make much of an impact. I also never said it didn't tell a story. It's a ride through the mine. That's the story. I just think that it falls short because of a lack of funds that were needed to build the ride as it was originally designed. It's a missed opportunity.

eliza61nyc

So this is a hard one for me for the simple reason I did not go to disney during fabulous years, I don't have the deep emotional connection that I think many here have. The best that I can do is give my opinion of hte rides based on how things are now.
I also am not in the habit of comparing theme park rides to "county fair" rides as I grew up in nyc. no county fairs, lol we did have Coney Island and the few fairs I went to in Western pa, are no way no how like Disney so I don't get the connection.
Basically my family and I are super easy, our criteria? Did we enjoy the ride.
I love splash mtn but hate space mountain.
Buzz light year space rangers is our second favorite ride in MK after POTC. We love the animatronic Buzz, we enjoy the interactiveness of the ride, heck we even love the music. lol

Alladians magic carpet. again, we like it and have a great time. Is it a carnival ride. maybe? again the few carnivals I've been too had nothing like alladian. Does it detract from our enjoyment ? no

7DMT is great but short, again I did not know it was supposed to be other than what it was until folks here said so.

Stitch was lousy, I figure they can't all be great. lol

Haunted Mansion is our favorite so I guess that was pre Eisner

So I guess I really don't have much to contribute, pre Eisner, post Eisner does not mean much to me.

I wonder, do you think the average visitor to the parks is this "sophisticated"??

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

So this is a hard one for me for the simple reason I did not go to disney during fabulous years, I don't have the deep emotional connection that I think many here have. The best that I can do is give my opinion of hte rides based on how things are now.
I also am not in the habit of comparing theme park rides to "county fair" rides as I grew up in nyc. no county fairs, lol we did have Coney Island and the few fairs I went to in Western pa, are no way no how like Disney so I don't get the connection.
Buzz light year space rangers is our second favorite ride in MK after POTC. We love the animatronic Buzz, we enjoy the interactiveness of the ride, heck we even love the music. lol

Alladians magic carpet. again, we like it and have a great time. Is it a carnival ride. maybe? again the few carnivals I've been too had nothing like alladian. Does it detract from our enjoyment ? no

7DMT is great but short again I did not know it was supposed to be other than what it was until folks here said so.

So I guess I really don't have much to contribute, pre Eisner, post Eisner does not mean much to me.

I wonder, do you think the average visitor to the parks is this "sophisticated"??
I think the average guest is exactly the same as yourself. I've been going there for 35 years, since 1983 and I agree with you whole heartedly. If I enjoyed an attraction, I enjoyed it. I don't need a bunch of might have been or could have been, it just is what it is. That's coming from someone that was there during the Fabulous Years. They weren't all as great as many seem to remember. I never went until I was 35 years old. I saw none of it through the eyes of a child. I saw the good, the bad and the ugly from the very beginning.

The important thing is to go there because YOU like what is there not because someone tells you that you have to be disappointed that it isn't as good as before, because, although there has been a lot of change, it is still better then it was back then, just fewer freebie's.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

7DMT is great but short again I did not know it was supposed to be other than what it was until folks here said so.

I am the average park visitor and could tell you which attractions are pre and post Eisner in each park. DAK and DHSMGM are both pretty easy.

I have a strong dislike for Aladdin because of how it clutters up Adventureland. At least Stitch isn’t in my way. Besides, Splash, I actuallly think story time with Belle is a very Magic Kingdomey show and presentation. Very well done.

Goofyernmost

i don't think I've ridden timekeeper. i'll have to youtube it.
If you were amused by Robin Williams, Timekeeper was absolutely jaw dropping. They put Robin Williams voice and mannerisms into the Timekeeper Robot. That alone was hilarious. It was one of my favorite shows. Now since, he died, I am kind of glad it is gone. That would have been way to sad to watch now at WDW. But, please do look at the you tube of it, I believe that Martin has a tribute video as well. Very well done and funny.

Tom P.

I am the average park visitor and could tell you which attractions are pre and post Eisner in each park. DAK and DHSMGM are both pretty easy.

I have a strong dislike for Aladdin because of how it clutters up Adventureland. At least Stitch isn’t in my way. Besides, Splash, I actuallly think story time with Belle is a very Magic Kingdomey show and presentation. Very well done.
I think one could argue that if you are here posting on these forums that you are not the "average" park visitor.

Goofyernmost

It would also be a stretch to call George average in any sense of the word. That's why we love him. ;)

KaliSplash

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
Nifty and fun for kids, but not really something exciting or that will have staying power. The same type of technology is used to greater effect at Magic Quest in Myrtle Beach, so it's not something that is uniquely Disney or that is being done better by Disney.

Magic Carpets of Aladdin
It's a nicely-themed carnival ride. Nearly-identical experiences can be had at any given regional amusement park.

A Pirate's Adventures
See "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom." Fun, and pretty well-done, but nothing special or unique.

Splash Mountain
A home run. Well-designed, fun, and with lots of bang for your buck. Splash Mountain is a classic.

The Muppets Present... Great Moments in American History
Cute and funny, but just puppets lip-syncing to a recorded track.

Enchanted Tales with Belle
Although I've only seen videos, I think this one is beautifully done and the kind of thing that would blow a kid's mind and make them a fan for life. The animatronics are wonderful and the physical environment is exquisite.

Mickey's PhilharMagic
It's a 3D movie with some in-theater effects. Cute, but the same experience available at any number of other tourist areas. Unmemorable.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

The Barnstormer
I cut it some slack because it never claimed to be a major attraction, but it's a pretty bog-standard off-the-shelf kiddie coaster.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
I consider this an "almost great" attraction. The ride vehicle movement adds a lot and there are some really nicely-done sections of the ride. It's hard for me to put my finger on what keeps it from being a classic. I think it's too short. What's there is good, but you barely have time to adjust to the "feel" of a room before it moves on to the next one. It feels like an attraction that wasn't given enough time and resources to perfect before it was built. A rough draft.

Journey of the Little Mermaid
I enjoy this ride and like the animatronics. I can totally see where people are coming from, however, when they complain that it seems like the budget version of a better ride and that it lacks any sort of climax. Again, this seems like a victim of budget cuts and deadlines.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
I've never liked this ride. It just feels thrown together. It's like a temporary space-filler that became permanent when they realized that people would still line up to go on it, even if it was pretty shoddy.

Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
For what it is, it's a fun show for families. I'll never be able to completely connect with it, however, because I'm always aware that it's a giant screen. It's almost Brechtian in its presentation. You are always aware of its artificiality.

Stitch's Great Escape
...BURP (Hopefully it's gone for good.)

I understand where you're coming from, I think you are just a touch too harsh. Clearly, Splash Mountain is the best of this bunch. But I also find Mickey's Philharmagic, The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Journey of the Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor to be very good.The rest serve no particular purpose.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
i don't think I've ridden timekeeper. i'll have to youtube it.
If you were amused by Robin Williams, Timekeeper was absolutely jaw dropping. They put Robin Williams voice and mannerisms into the Timekeeper Robot. That alone was hilarious. It was one of my favorite shows. Now since, he died, I am kind of glad it is gone. That would have been way to sad to watch now at WDW. But, please do look at the you tube of it, I believe that Martin has a tribute video as well. Very well done and funny.

You rang? :)

LUVofDIS

I have been going to WDW since 94, so I missed the pre-Eisner time. But for me, MK is as much if not more fun than 94. I cant say that for the other two parks from that time, but I can say that for MK.

There are things that are missed from that time period, but all in all, MK is a very good park today.

The HoP is better, though I haven't seen the most recent version yet. PhilharMagic is still amazing to me. SDMT is just okay for me, the ride itself just fall short. Pooh replaced Mr. Toad, I like Pooh but I fell in love with Toad and miss it greatly. Little Mermaid, this has been beaten to death, we ride it every visit but it is a below average ride. Aladdin is also okay, in 94 there was nothing there but concrete, so its an addition not a take away. I think I like it because in 2013 my wife and I were on it when the Holiday Wishes were going and the CM let us ride three times and we watched the show from here and it was pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom