Possible new Star Tours 2 info straight from Anthony Daniels

KevinPage

Tenative approval for a substantial refurb to Star Tours was given several months ago. The scope of the reurb is uncertain, at least to me.
Timeframe mentioned in the article should be fairly accurate.

Been sitting on that nugget for a while. Glad it's getting out there.

Lee,

Are we talking about just a new movie and reprogramming of the cabs? If that's the case then it would be a HUGE disappointment. Then again, so were the last 3 movies.

How in the world Disney has yet to create a Star Wars land in MGM is beyond me. Merely "upgrading" Star Tours isn't going to cut it against Harry Potter.

Scrap any idea of a IJA clone and make a big deal Star Wars dark ride. Indy doesn't have the drawing power of Star Wars otherwise they'd be doing Indy Jones Weekends every year.

Get rid of the Honey I Shrunk the Audience playground, turn the whole area into Radiator Springs for kids, throw a kid friendly ride in there as well.

In conclusion an upgraded Star Tours, brand new big time SW ride, Radiator Springs and Toy Story Mania. That's how you give a middle finger to Mr. Potter.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

ToTBellHop

it would be either very tough or very expensive. A pod racer dark ride could work (though I don't entirely support it--it would be thrilling but it's just not Star Wars enough for me. Riding the bikes through Endor dodging Ewoks would be hot, though). Riding in an X-Wing through a 3-D dark ride, mounted on something like the Kuka arm would be incredible, though...and incredibly expensive haha...but could you imagine the ride experience?

WhyteAL

I wonder if the Captain Rex thing means they will redesign him (much like the robot from Alien Encounter was changed into 90210 in Stitch's Great Escape) :)

Darth Johnny!!!! The words Star Tours and Stitich's great escape should not be allowed in the same sentence!!!! Least we give anybody any ideas!:hurl: :hammer:

j/k :D

I really dont think that MGM would build an expansion walkway bridge over the highway. Thats not gonna happen and definetly not move the roads. What I could see is an indoor garage and a walkway over the road into MGM entrance, so that the studios parking lot could be used, but that would be a pretty big project. I agree with Lee more on the fact that they would probly shut down backlot tour way before anything else, and use that area with wasted space for other attractions if need be. But what would happen to catastrophy cannon?

darthjohnny

Original Poster
What season in 2009 though?

I think the Screamscape writere is using "season" in a general sense (possibly referring to the peek crowd season) and is really saying some time around 2009.

I could see a potential Star Wars Dark Ride. The could do a roller coaster/dark ride through the droid works manufacturing plant (like in Episode II) or even a trip through space.

Or they could make some type of "hover vehicle" (I'm thinking something like the Spider-Man ride vehicle at Islands of Adventure) and some how conceal the inner workings so it looks like it's actually floating.

But if the rumors are true that Disneyland and Disney-MGM Studios will get the same upgrade, then I would assume that it will be some sort of film change.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Lee,

Are we talking about just a new movie and reprogramming of the cabs? If that's the case then it would be a HUGE disappointment. Then again, so were the last 3 movies.

How in the world Disney has yet to create a Star Wars land in MGM is beyond me. Merely "upgrading" Star Tours isn't going to cut it against Harry Potter.

Scrap any idea of a IJA clone and make a big deal Star Wars dark ride. Indy doesn't have the drawing power of Star Wars otherwise they'd be doing Indy Jones Weekends every year.

Get rid of the Honey I Shrunk the Audience playground, turn the whole area into Radiator Springs for kids, throw a kid friendly ride in there as well.

In conclusion an upgraded Star Tours, brand new big time SW ride, Radiator Springs and Toy Story Mania. That's how you give a middle finger to Mr. Potter.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

I like some of your ideas, especially a star wars land. However a Star Wars dark ride just isn't possible unless your only focusing on 1 world (such as Tatooine). The reason Star Tours works so well is because it creates the illusion that we are traveling through space to distant star wars worlds a dark ride could never simulate that in the same way. But if they want to do a dark ride like say...a romp through jabba's palace or highlights from all 6 films I guess that could work but it would not be the same.

Also I disagree about Indiana Jones. Indy is HUGELY popular with audiances its just that most indy fans aren't hardcore nerds...indy fans are mostly the casual general audiance. The same people that liked Pirates of the Caribean and The mummy.

Indiana Jones could easily become its own miniland as well with a temple/maze to explore this would be great for families to travel through at there own pace and let kids imaginations go wild. Of course an Indy ride similar to California's would really bring in the crowds considering how popular the version in CA still is after 10 years. In fact, the last time I visited Disneyland (during the 50th.) I heard random people saying "oh wheres indiana jones?" "hey lets go on that indiana jones ride!" "ok kids, we'll go do the indiana jones ride now" while I was walking around, in line, and sitting down eating. I was actually really surprised by its extreme popularity still and thats a testament to the Indiana Jones franchise.

Star Wars has a bigger more diehard fanbase no question. But don't underestimate Indiana Jones. An Indiana Jones ride/land will appeal to more people than a radiator springs kiddieland. Especially when you realize that Cars didn't even do all that great in theaters when compared to other pixar films.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Definately not. More than just a new film.

well I hope its still a simulator and you still depart from the Star Tours spaceport *ST chime goes off in my head*

"Will the owner of a landspeeder..designation..THX-1138...please move your vechile. Your craft is parked in a No-Hover area"

hauntdmansion79

This all sounds so good!! I remeber waiting in line for SO LONG to see Star Tours the first year it opened when it was one of the only rides in the park and thinking it was so amazing. Now I love the ride for sentimental value, but as for quality and thrills, it's getting old. I love the sound of the port holes on the walls with the environment flying by. Also I hope the new videos are of episodes IV, V, and VI rather than I, II, and III. But most importantly, anything but Pod Racing please! I hope they do an awesome waiting area revamp, but still have audio animatronics incorperated, not just video screens. The animatronics bring the waiting area to life big time.

I'm really excited about this! Next would be an Indie ride!!!

Oh and....
Dang you guys! You need to pass this stuff on. Instead of sitting on little nuggets like that, give us a little peeping turtle.

I hope we aren't referring to "turtle-heading", this is a family friendly board...:lookaroun

jedimaster1227

They should use 2009 to unviel another new attraction for the studio like Indy, Muppets, Monsters Inc., or Cars.

Indy-Likely
Muppets- They are more than happy right now with the existing attraction
Monsters Inc.- Will remain in Tomorrowland. Nothing more will come of this film anytime soon
Cars- Highest chance out of the four posted options

Indy has ambitious but not unfamiliar plans to it. Cars on the other hand will be unique. :animwink:

Enigma

Account Suspended
Indy-Likely
Muppets- They are more than happy right now with the existing attraction
Monsters Inc.- Will remain in Tomorrowland. Nothing more will come of this film anytime soon
Cars- Highest chance out of the four posted options

Indy has ambitious but not unfamiliar plans to it. Cars on the other hand will be unique. :animwink:

No offense to you but you are wrong about Muppets and Monsters Inc. Disney has plans for more attractions based on those two franchises...Cars will also have a presence in Disney-Pixar Studios eventually.

Pete C

If they are going to do a scene from one of the newer Star Wars films, it could be a Jango Fett-like battle/chase in space. Have the audience chasing him down and shooting at him while he drops those cool sounding bombs and whatnot. Ultimately no matter what they do ridefilm-wise Star Tours really has to make the jump to 3D. Spidey is in 3D, and if Star Tours does not at least step up to that level it will never be as immersive as Spidey.

Dayma

I honetly think they can make some simple updates with a new video in HD/1080P and refurgb the vehicles and it would be nice.

jedimaster1227

No offense to you but you are wrong about Muppets and Monsters Inc. Disney has plans for more attractions based on those two franchises...Cars will also have a presence in Disney-Pixar Studios eventually.

I didn't say plans don't exist- I have seen them with my own eyes. But, management isn't spending anything further on those two franchises until Cars, Indy and Star Wars have gotten there investments... So, don't expect Muppets or Monster's Inc. to get a reprisal anytime soon.

ciscobee

Please tell me that they are not just going to do an update. SIM's are old hat. Even if they put in new video and reprogram the shuttles, it's still going to be old after 2 rides.

Star Tours needs a super redo. They need to trade in the dated robot that is driving the shuttle, use characters from A New Hope, Empire, or ROTJedi, and give the people something to remember. If they are going to do a Sim, at least give a full body roll or an inversion or something.

They would be better off with a Buzz Lightyear SpaceRanger Spin - ish type ride where you are in the Millenium Falcon and moving through space, shooting bad guys, making your final approach, steering an AT-AT ... anything.

Pete C

They would be better off with a Buzz Lightyear SpaceRanger Spin - ish type ride where you are in the Millenium Falcon and moving through space, shooting bad guys, making your final approach, steering an AT-AT ... anything.

Right next to the brand-new Toy Story Midway Mania...another Space Ranger Spin-like shoot em up? I don't think so

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Tomorrow is the start of Star Wars Weekend where Anthony Daniels is appearing.

Someone should try and ask him about the new Star Tours project! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom