Possible move to Florida

woodardfamily

Original Poster
My family and I may be moving to the Jacksonville area near the end of 2011 or early 2012. While we have already made the decision to buy AP's, I am wondering how much the "magic" may change for us seeing as how we could be there more often? As I told my wife, if we loved it where we live now, we'll love it just as well being much closer. Any helpful thoughts?

Other than the waterpark admission, is there any real difference between the AP's and the PAP's?

CaptainShortty

You'll get a different appreciation for the parks. You'll be able to slow down and take your time which you aren't always afforded when you're on vacation. If you can't get on a ride you can say, "oh, we'll just do it next week". It's a great feeling. It lets you take time to see the hidden gems of Disney. You can go into the parks and just look for hidden mickeys. Or go shopping. Or just go in for dinner. It's really nice.

Mr_Incredible

You can also enjoy the joys of Disney year round.....like the Disney running events, wine festivals, christmas party, halloween, and other things that Orlando offers that you may not get to see (or didnt know exsisted) while on a Disney vacation. international drive, universal, wet n wild, dinner shows, old town, titanic, sea world etc etc

SoupBone

You'll get a different appreciation for the parks. You'll be able to slow down and take your time which you aren't always afforded when you're on vacation. If you can't get on a ride you can say, "oh, we'll just do it next week". It's a great feeling. It lets you take time to see the hidden gems of Disney. You can go into the parks and just look for hidden mickeys. Or go shopping. Or just go in for dinner. It's really nice.

Never thought about it this way. that honestly makes me want to move there even more. I would love to move through the parks at a snails pace and take it all in. On my vacations there (typically 5-7 days) I try and absorb as much as I possibly can, but it's tough when you are trying to get in all the rides.

Nemo14

Congratulations on the possible move, but I'm sure you realize that Jacksonville is 125 miles or so from WDW, so although you will certainly have more opportunities to visit, you probably won't be just stopping by for dinner or whatever.

CaptainShortty

Congratulations on the possible move, but I'm sure you realize that Jacksonville is 125 miles or so from WDW, so although you will certainly have more opportunities to visit, you probably won't be just stopping by for dinner or whatever.

Very true...Jacksonville is quite far.

woodardfamily

Original Poster
Yeah...Jax is about 3 hours away. While I live this close to other theme parks currently (Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion), I don't usually go but once a year or so. WDW doesn't really compare to them, so I'm sure we would be more motivated to go more often.

The Mom

Premium Member
You'll be more likely to take shorter, but more frequent, trips. Although people do take day trips, I always stay overnight for a night or two - three tops.

I sometimes get the Florida resident seasonal pass (it has block out dates for the busiest times, which I try to avoid anyway) but sometimes I buy an AP.

I don't go as frequently as I did when the kids were little, and pretty much only go for special events, such as Food & Wine Festival, or if I'm meeting up with friends.

Of course, since I will no longer be a slave to the school calendar (except Christmas and summer - for now) I might be taking short trips during the week.

Disney_Belle

My family and I may be moving to the Jacksonville area near the end of 2011 or early 2012. While we have already made the decision to buy AP's, I am wondering how much the "magic" may change for us seeing as how we could be there more often? As I told my wife, if we loved it where we live now, we'll love it just as well being much closer. Any helpful thoughts?

Other than the waterpark admission, is there any real difference between the AP's and the PAP's?

DH and I almost bought a house in Wilson last year! We were 10 days out from closing and his job transfer fell through! But my father and lots of other family live there and in Lucama :wave: Best wishes with your move!

scpergj

I second what The Mom said. We live in one of the suburbs (Clay County...)and usually take two or three night trips, but more of them. We've also been known to run down for a day occasionally, or if we need to be in O-town for something else, stop in for a couple hours of Magic.

Oh....as for how far it is, my average time is about 2:30 coming home I-4 to I-95 to I-295 around to my exit. However, it takes us about 2:45 if we go the western way and hit 429, which we prefer when traveling in the evening on a week day (I've actually had 4 hour trips to WDW when I-4 is bad on a Friday night). Since we live on the southwest side of the area, that is a viable option - if you live in the Southside, Mandarin, or the beaches, the western route probably wouldn't save as much time.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area - I've lived here since 1979...even went to UNF for college!

wdwjmp239

Absolutely! This is one benefit to living so close to "The Magic" where if you feel like you want to get away for the weekend, just pack an overnight bag and head to "The Mouse."

I'm down here on the SW Florida coast in Fort Myers and with Fort Myers only being 3.5 hours away, I can get my wife and daughter and head up to Disney. But, with us investing so much $$$ into house repairs right now, Disney is taking the backseat.

But, like CaptainShorty said, you can just go to Disney and mill around and not have to feel pressured about doing this and that in a specified timeframe. Believe me when I say this, you'll see Disney differently as you get yourself established as a resident in The Sunshine State. While everyone is busy rushing to get to this attraction and that attraction, this park and that park, get back to the hotel to shower and get ready for that 7pm Dinner Reservation at the Hoop-De-Doo-Revue, you'll just be doing your own thing.

Welcome to Florida! You'll LOVE Jacksonville! :wave:

DisDadEddie

Would like to move to Florida myself. All our family is here in New Jersey,maybe on day the oppertunity will come to make that change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom