Possible Late October Trip?

Zayegrrl

New Member
Original Poster
Hello all,

So after some thought and consulting with my mother down in Lakeland, we "mostly" planned to visit Disney in the end of October. It would be a nice b-day gift for my fiancee who's only been to Florida once (earlier this May) and wants to go to Universal/Disney. Now, it all seemed fine and great, but we have some set-backs from actually creating a set plan.

First off, Fiancee and I are from New York. Not the super covid tri-state area or any large city. Just some smaller city-town in the smack dab middle of New York. As of right now, theres a travel ban in both New York and Florida which would make us quarantine for 2 weeks both in FL and NY. Doing basic math, that would mean we would need to quarantine for almost a month not including our actual week vacation. Probably won't work.

Secondly, we both work at the same place which is some local retail store thats looking to open a new location within the next few months. They keep delaying that store date so we have no idea if it could be next month, september, october, etc. Time-off may not be a thing anytime soon.

Part of me wants to say "screw it" and take the vacation anyway because its up in the air when we would be able to go back down at all. October would be the ideal time since theres no major retail-holidays going on in October and my fiancee would be on some kind of school break at that time. (Fall Recess? Is that a thing?)

I'm kind of at a loss and not sure what we should do. Thoughts?
 

Wendy Pleakley

Well-Known Member
Advertisement
Under the current rules you'd have to quarantine upon arrival? This would be two weeks in a hotel room and you could only have food delivered? This seems like it would clearly be a waste of time and money.

You could make tentative plans and see if things change, but I don't see any benefit in such a trip if they don't.
 

JohnD

Well-Known Member
Hello all,

So after some thought and consulting with my mother down in Lakeland, we "mostly" planned to visit Disney in the end of October. It would be a nice b-day gift for my fiancee who's only been to Florida once (earlier this May) and wants to go to Universal/Disney. Now, it all seemed fine and great, but we have some set-backs from actually creating a set plan.

First off, Fiancee and I are from New York. Not the super covid tri-state area or any large city. Just some smaller city-town in the smack dab middle of New York. As of right now, theres a travel ban in both New York and Florida which would make us quarantine for 2 weeks both in FL and NY. Doing basic math, that would mean we would need to quarantine for almost a month not including our actual week vacation. Probably won't work.

Secondly, we both work at the same place which is some local retail store thats looking to open a new location within the next few months. They keep delaying that store date so we have no idea if it could be next month, september, october, etc. Time-off may not be a thing anytime soon.

Part of me wants to say "screw it" and take the vacation anyway because its up in the air when we would be able to go back down at all. October would be the ideal time since theres no major retail-holidays going on in October and my fiancee would be on some kind of school break at that time. (Fall Recess? Is that a thing?)

I'm kind of at a loss and not sure what we should do. Thoughts?
What you COULD do is make a resort reservation to, say, Pop, and start making tentative plans. Of course you would have to put down your deposit. As it gets closer if it looks like the quarantines aren't lifted, at five days out or more you could cancel with no penalty and get your deposit refunded. As for tickets, that's a stickier problem. If you're an AP holder, you could make park reservations after you make your resort reservation. If not, you need tickets to make park reservations. If you have to purchase tickets that's probably the major issue with your situation then. You don't want to purchase tickets not knowing if or when you're going.
 

Zayegrrl

New Member
Original Poster
What you COULD do is make a resort reservation to, say, Pop, and start making tentative plans. Of course you would have to put down your deposit. As it gets closer if it looks like the quarantines aren't lifted, at five days out or more you could cancel with no penalty and get your deposit refunded. As for tickets, that's a stickier problem. If you're an AP holder, you could make park reservations after you make your resort reservation. If not, you need tickets to make park reservations. If you have to purchase tickets that's probably the major issue with your situation then. You don't want to purchase tickets not knowing if or when you're going.
We likely wouldn't stay in a hotel on Disney property since my mother lives about 45mins from there. We would just end up staying with her. I was looking at creative ways to get tickets and not get screwed over, but with the whole reservation system it makes it harder to secure something and change it if needed.
 
Could you avoid the quarantine with a negative covid test? Some states are allowing that. The test usually needs to be within 3-5 days prior to arrival.
 

Zayegrrl

New Member
Original Poster
Could you avoid the quarantine with a negative covid test? Some states are allowing that. The test usually needs to be within 3-5 days prior to arrival.

Probably not in NYS. Florida might be a bit more lenient, but NY is super adamant on people isolating regardless of the conditions.
 
Top Bottom