News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Walter Elias Disney

images

Never judge things by their appearance... even carpetbags. I'm sure I never do.

njDizFan

Well, ticket categories have been meaningless since the 80's...so we're debating our own self made categories for academic purposes to assess the quality/level of ride.

I think the management of wdw has lived in the "c" category for far too long...too much focus on the appearance of thrill without being willing to provide it to the different crowd segments. Two lands being constructed in MGM tend to reinforce that theory.
We get it, you are not in favor of A-E ride classifications. The term is helpful in getting a general indication of the size and scope of the attraction. There is some wiggle room and there are a few attractions that are often debated(look at the new Fantasyland rides for example) but often there is somewhat of a consensus.

oh and BTW the term is still used internally by Imagineering.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We get it, you are not in favor of A-E ride classifications. The term is helpful in getting a general indication of the size and scope of the attraction. There is some wiggle room and there are a few attractions that are often debated(look at the new Fantasyland rides for example) but often there is somewhat of a consensus.

oh and BTW the term is still used internally by Imagineering.

You work in imagineering's New Jersey office?!? That's right down the street!!

Ok...kidding...

But kidding aside...it's not that I don't necessarily like the categories...I just don't like how people steer perception using them. I kinda feel like that's what has driven the mine train nonsense...and midway mania

I hear "E" thrown around all the time...but I have a hard time giving a low mechanics - if interesting take - screen simulator like soarin such high praise when it's lumped together with such pieces of art like tower and splash...

...Everest - on the other hand - is overdesigned and fails due to it.

It's hard to hold categories in the soup.

So I guess I've come back around?

bclane

Could the carousel not be an ordinary carousel, but actually be part of the larger experience, AKA Tony Baxter's concept of the carousel and horses that detach and enter the full chalk painting dark ride experience?
I would love, love, love that. However, I would think that would be an E ticket (just for you @Sirwalterraleigh) and it doesn't sound like we are getting anything that awesome.

HauntedMansionFLA

06B1BD0F-CAF2-4973-972A-85DF0B3E1ED0.png
A75B1944-7F28-4876-A76B-A3A3C3AAC6A8.jpeg
I'm curious if this leds any more credibility to Jim Hill's version of the rumor:

July 20, 2017: On the latest episode of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill and Len Testa discussed that the new ride coming to the United Kingdom Pavilion is expected to be a carousel themed around Mary Poppins. The ride is unlikely to be announced before Mary Poppins Returns debuts in theaters in Christmas 2018.
ill take Poppins over anything else

DisneyFan18

Could the carousel not be an ordinary carousel, but actually be part of the larger experience, AKA Tony Baxter's concept of the carousel and horses that detach and enter the full chalk painting dark ride experience?
I would be in favor of the Jolly Holiday ride happening, but unfortunately we’re most likely looking at an ordinary Mary Poppins Carousel or something along the lines, I really wish they went for the Brave C-Ticket :(

SpaceMountain77

There is a YouTube channel that has several episodes featuring interviews with Bob Iger, which are focused on the Shanghai Disney Resort. When asked various questions, he always returns to a discussion of IPs. Although he never calls Disneyland or Walt Disney World dated, he does emphasize the recency and relevance of Shanghai’s IP representation.

As much as many of us would welcome a Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Sword in the Stone, or Wind and the Willows attraction, based on Iger’s own words, I would highly anticipate something recent or forthcoming. Mary Poppins Returns opens in theaters December 2018.

Anyone up for a Jolly Holiday in 2021?

EPICOT

One potential good thing from a Poppins carousel is that it could "protect" the rest of World Showcase from getting cheap spinners. Atleast this carousel would (presumably) have to be atleast somewhat classy and fit the area rather than, for example, something on the quality of Alladins carpets being shoved into the Morocco pavilion. So maybe in the future execs won't feel the need to add more spinners in World Showcase.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is a YouTube channel that has several episodes featuring interviews with Bob Iger, which are focused on the Shanghai Disney Resort. When asked various questions, he always returns to a discussion of IPs. Although he never calls Disneyland or Walt Disney World dated, he does emphasize the recency and relevance of Shanghai’s IP representation.

As much as many of us would welcome a Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Sword in the Stone, or Wind and the Willows attraction, based on Iger’s own words, I would highly anticipate something recent or forthcoming. Mary Poppins Returns opens in theaters December 2018.

Anyone up for a Jolly Holiday in 2021?

There's more to it than that in the case of Shanghai...it was covered in some press in the run up.

Disney...and it's IP except for marvel and Pixar...are NOT popular in China. It was a big risk. That's why iger harped on IP relevance.

Even Star Wars has done poorly in China...which makes it the ONLY place on earth that can claim that title. They don't love Mickey much either...across the Sea of Japan? Different story entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom