News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Grimley1968

If there weren't all the videos and photos of the car, Barbie, etc. I would think some people were getting started a little early for tomorrow's fun, because I didn't visit EPCOT in the early 90's. It appears to be true, though. There's an extensive list of things I've complained about being taken out of EPCOT, but that is not on the list. ;)

rd805

Wait...this was an actual thing...are you serious? They put Barbie in EPCOT? This just sounds too ridiculous to be true. But then again, Eisner was in charge...okay yeah I believe it.

I definitely have a picture with Barbie and Skipper form the mid 90s ... that could have been at Downtown Disney though.
Time to dig through the attic!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm just hoping they do something proper with Mary Poppins. It's an IP they've let be away from the parks for too long. Glad to hear whatever this attraction ends up being that it is picking up steam.
Nah -- a "London Tower of Terror" drop tower like the TZTOT...

brb1006

What is that pic with the elephants and what was the Barbie idea? The idea to have Amy Schumer play Barbie?
img177_zps26cf79a6.jpg

BenJacobs

A Mary Poppins ride wouldn't work, even with the film that's coming out, because nobody cares about Mary Poppins anymore. I remember watching it and not caring or enjoying it, I dont remember anything specific in it really, and I would think the same with everyone else who is under 25 - so any family will have younger members not particularly wanting to ride. Also, when have you last watched Mary Poppins? Or thought about Mary Poppins? We know that the new film will be fine, but it won't be a super popular, so it wont spark interest. So, why would Disney create a Mary Poppins ride when nobody cares about Mary Poppins anymore?

However, there aren't really any currently popular Disney films set in the UK, and no doubt a film based ride wouldn't fight the stereotypes of us Brits having high tea every afternoon, with scones, tea and crumpets, all while talking about the royals. So there needs to be a ride that showcases sights, attraction and landscapes in the UK, something like the ride in the Mexico Pavillion, or Soarin' on a smaller level.

rd805

A Mary Poppins ride wouldn't work, even with the film that's coming out, because nobody cares about Mary Poppins anymore. I remember watching it and not caring or enjoying it, I dont remember anything specific in it really, and I would think the same with everyone else who is under 25 - so any family will have younger members not particularly wanting to ride. Also, when have you last watched Mary Poppins? Or thought about Mary Poppins? We know that the new film will be fine, but it won't be a super popular, so it wont spark interest. So, why would Disney create a Mary Poppins ride when nobody cares about Mary Poppins anymore?

Be careful how your rationalize -- even though I tend to agree with some of what you are saying, Mary Poppins is still a cultural icon and a NEW ride with today's technology combined with Disney nostalgia and this would be a very popular ride; ESPECIALLY amongst WDWMagic boards.

The bottom line is -- a new dark ride being built, and not an existing ride being re themed would be a huge win for Epcot and the World Showcase.

BenJacobs

That's opinion, not fact.

But it is true, unlike classics like Dumbo and Bambi, Mary Poppins hasn't really lived on, it has been somewhat forgotten, anyone under 25 wouldn't know most of the scenes in it, and it would become a ride that people just walk past and they think: "Mmmmmmm, let's just go on Living with the Land or Soarin'."

rd805

But it is true, unlike classics like Dumbo and Bambi, Mary Poppins hasn't really lived on, it has been somewhat forgotten, anyone under 25 wouldn't know most of the scenes in it, and it would become a ride that people just walk past and they think: "Mmmmmmm, let's just go on Living with the Land or Soarin'."

Saving Mr. Banks was a very well received movie. The Broadway show was a hit -- Mary Poppins is still everywhere.

BenJacobs

Be careful how your rationalize -- even though I tend to agree with some of what you are saying, Mary Poppins is still a cultural icon and a NEW ride with today's technology combined with Disney nostalgia and this would be a very popular ride; ESPECIALLY amongst WDWMagic boards.

The bottom line is -- a new dark ride being built, and not an existing ride being re themed would be a huge win for Epcot and the World Showcase.

Then why not build a Ratatouille ride in France, or something in the massive building behind the Japan pavillion.

peter11435

Again. You're stating opinions not facts.

BenJacobs

Then how do you explain the large amount of people that line up to meet her in the U.K. on a daily basis? Yes, just stop with this crap. Mary Poppins is a culturally revlevant and iconic Disney masterpiece. Thanks for playing though. Now, spit spot and off you go!

It is a masterpiece but is becoming less popular, it isn't culturally relevant, nobody in the UK really speaks in a Cockney accent or is really posh. And people go to meet Mary Poppins because she reminds parents of their childhood, which is good, but a rid eis too far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom