News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was referring to Animal Kingdom which does not have festivals.

Besides the 8 rides listed in the post I quoted the park also includes:

1 train
Rafikis planet watch with its exhibits
3 live theater shows
1 nighttime show
1 3D attraction
2 elaborate animal trails
Hundreds of other animals to see around the park

Not to mention atmosphere entertainment, character greetings, an extensive children’s play area. And the best themeing at any domestic theme park.
The old argument seems to apply here; people attending a theme park expect a theme park. Not a zoo with some attractions.

I don’t speak for myself.

peter11435

Yeah. That's why it's my favourite park.

But sadly, to many people, it seems that rides are all that count. And on that basis it's under-developed.
When Epcot opened the park had 5 operating rides. At its peak it had 10.

If we judge Disney parks on rides alone no non castle park has ever need adequate. But Disney parks are obviously more than just rides.

Timothy_Q

I was referring to Animal Kingdom which does not have festivals.

Besides the 8 rides listed in the post I quoted the park also includes:

1 train
Rafikis planet watch with its exhibits
3 live theater shows
1 nighttime show
1 3D attraction
2 elaborate animal trails
Hundreds of other animals to see around the park

Not to mention atmosphere entertainment, character greetings, an extensive children’s play area. And the best themeing at any domestic theme park.
Yeah those are all great.

AK is my favorite park too.

But you should have all of that plus a decent ammount of rides. They're not mutually exclusive.
AK needs more rides.

Robbiem

Even though this hasn’t been announced I just hope it doesn’t end up getting shelved like the MK Theater

I think moving the theatre to Epcot and putting it in the UK would be a good move. The UK has a big theatre culture which would play well with visitors and allow for IP in a subtle way (think cut down Mary Poppins or even a Jungle book musical). If it was placed right it could also be used for events and have access from the gateway so it could be used for non patprk show etc.

PizzaPlanet

The old argument seems to apply here; people attending a theme park expect a theme park. Not a zoo with some attractions.

But the whole point of AK is to offer something unique that you won't find in every other theme park. This is almost like saying people attending EPCOT Center, a Disney theme park, expect Disney characters to be everywhere.

Kman101

Or it's a theme park with animals ;)

But yes the park could use more rides. But what's there doesn't seem to get enough credit. A park is more than just the ride count, but to the vast majority, I suppose they care more about ride count.

Maybe when the park first opened the zoo argument had merit. And it did. But I don't think it does now, it's a lot more fleshed out than it was in 1998 (and I was there). It's a great park. IMHO, of course. (And, again, I'd like to see a bit more added but two other parks seem to me like they need the help more at the moment).

It's a shame it has the zoo stigma attached to it. All people need to do is change their way of thinking. Instead of a zoo with rides, it's a theme park with animals. Last I checked, my local zoo was hardly on par with Animal Kingdom. Now, comparing a zoo to 1998 AK? Sure. I can agree on that.

But I get it, if people have dismissed it as just a zoo with some rides over the last 20 years their opinion, sadly, isn't likely to change.

(Obviously this post isn't necessarily geared towards you, as you were speaking how the masses view it, just used it as a jumping off point)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But the whole point of AK is to offer something unique that you won't find in every other theme park. This is almost like saying people attending EPCOT Center, a Disney theme park, expect Disney characters to be everywhere.
The biggest complaint is "not enough to do". The animal exhibits are generally seen as something to look at in passing between rides. I guess the masses don’t want the "unique" that’s on offer as much as attractions.

Again, not my opinion. I consider this park to be a full day now personally. If not more.

PizzaPlanet

The biggest complaint is "not enough to do". The animal exhibits are generally seen as something to look at in passing between rides. I guess the masses don’t want the "unique" that’s on offer as much as attractions.

Again, not my opinion. I consider this park to be a full day now personally. If not more.
Yeah, I'd say those complaints were valid up until the opening of Pandora and RoL, but now I'd definitely call it a full day park. Of course more rides certainly wouldn't hurt, especially for those who don't care about the animal exhibits.

ToTBellHop

If we judge Disney parks on rides alone no non castle park has ever need adequate. But Disney parks are obviously more than just rides.
Didn’t it have the following in 1982?

SSE
UOE
Horizons
World of Motion
Journey into Imagination
Living with the Land
El Rio del Tiempo

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Didn’t it have the following in 1982?

SSE
UOE
Horizons
World of Motion
Journey into Imagination
Living with the Land
El Rio del Tiempo
Opening day attractions;

SSE
UoE
World of Motion
Astuter Computer Revue
Magic Journeys
Listen to the Land
Kitchen Kabaret
Symbiosis
El Rio Del Tiempo
Wonders of China
The American Adventure
Impressions de France
O Canada

(As in things you had to queue for, not just walk around)

peter11435

Opening day attractions;

SSE
UoE
World of Motion
Astuter Computer Revue
Magic Journeys
Listen to the Land
Kitchen Kabaret
Symbiosis
El Rio Del Tiempo
Wonders of China
The American Adventure
Impressions de France
O Canada

(As in things you had to queue for, not just walk around)
Lots of attractions. But if we are only counting actual rides.. just 5 at opening and never more than 10.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lots of attractions. But if we are only counting actual rides.. just 5 at opening and never more than 10.
I find it difficult to class Disney attractions as a ride... it’s too generalised. By that definition DHS only had 4 and DAK the same. 5 now.

It’s also a huge disservice to the likes of American Adventure and Cranium Command to ignore them. It’s Disney. Some of their best attractions are not a "ride".

peter11435

I find it difficult to class Disney attractions as a ride... it’s too generalised. By that definition DHS only had 4 and DAK the same. 5 now.

It’s also a huge disservice to the likes of American Adventure and Cranium Command to ignore them. It’s Disney. Some of their best attractions are not a "ride".
I agree 100%

Which is why I have an issue with people complaining about DAK having only 8 rides and overlooking all of the the other attractions the park offers.

HauntedMansionFLA

I hear this complaint from children when walking around EPCOT. “ I’m bored or there’s nothing to do” - hear it all the time. But mom and dad have to get their drink on. You have to have priorities :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom