Porting Mystic Point to Animal Kingdom

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Everybody keeps saying Mystic Manor would be a good addition to Animal Kingdom because of the monkey, but beyond that, it seems slightly off considering how Albert is mostly there to interact with Lord Henry Mystic's collection of treasures from around the world. A few mythical, animal-ish, figures pop there heads into the action like the Nemean Lion Amphora and Medusa in the Mediterranean Room and Sun Wukong being the "final boss", plus the Gardens of Wonder outside feature such beings as the Sumerian Lamassu and various serpentine creatures, but that's not quite enough. Instead, I can see retooling the attraction and the various rooms to play with various animal myths and creatures.

I think Mystic Point could probably go in that spot between Africa and Asia or possibly in the expansion pad near Asia. With Mystic Point being set in a remote rainforest, it could also offer new live-animal experiences by extending that theme into an animal trail just outside the Mystic estate. Also, to better fit with Animal Kingdom's more realistic style, I'd dial Albert and Henry back more to their concept art incarnations.

Cataloguing and the Music Room would be pretty much the same, as it already establishes the story and musical tone pretty well. Beyond that I'd go for switched gags.

Mediterranean Room: Pompeii family gag is replaced with a Labyrinth of the Minotaur mosaic with Pac-Man inspired animation of the Minotaur chasing Theseus through the maze. A snarling, clawing statue of a Chimera is perched on a shelf waiting to attack.
chimera.jpg

Seeing as the Medusa gag already exists at the Haunted Mansion, another monstrous transformation takes place: Arachne into a spider woman.

Solarium: Add a couple mandrakes peeking out of some extra pots in the room. Could always be switched out for something else considering again has a Mansion counterpart with the Conservatory.

Nordic Room: Fenrir and a Frost Giant take out the sun and create the freezing effect.

Armory: Lord Henry decided to display various medieval tapestries (unicorn and griffins represented) and a dragon statue with the various "knights". Albert is now caught between the clash of a suit of armor and the dragon, having to dodge a mouth full of teeth and smoke in addition to a sword.

Egyptian Room: Extra figures of the gods that react to the bug swarm.

Tiki Room: Replace the room with another culture considering the overlap. Central American culture would be compatible with the dart gag and could feature Quetzalcoatl, though I'm sure there's other mythologies that could work here.

China Room with the Monkey King is just fine as it is.

If anyone else has got other ideas for how a Mystic Manor emphasizing animal stories and myths could work or wants to rework/replace rooms for said idea, please share.

Turtle

Keep it how it is. Put it as a Subsection of Asia (think of Storybook Circus in Fantasyland) and only changes would be more references to Mr. Mystic being an explorer.

PeterAlt

Yesterday, I showed my sister the ride through video, ad well as the ride through videos of RSR and TT2. Surprisingly, she was not very impressed with RSR and said that it "lacked story". However, she was very impressed with MM and said that this ride has a great story. I then asked her what park she thought it should go into and her answer kind of shocked me... Imagination! Keep in mind, she doesn't follow Disney news like we do. She gets her Disney news mostly from me and it's been a number of years since she's been to WDW. I asked her why she thought it should go into Imagination and she said that the monkey reminded her of Figment and she had the old Imagination song playing in her head as she watched the video for some odd reason. Incidentally, I told her that Imagination is one of the pavilions today that desperately needs a new attraction. So, who knows...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom