Port Orleans

Mommy2Three

Original Poster
It’s probably one of the only Disney resorts (aside from the Contemporary) we haven’t stayed at yet. We’ll be visiting Dec. 22-30, 2018 with our 3 kids (2, 3 & 11).

Any reviews? Difference between Riverside & French Quarter? Distance to parks? Anything we should know? We have until Nov. 22 to switch resort.

Thanks!

Minnesota disney fan

It is a fantastic resort, and has been our home resort for years! It is beautiful, tranquil, with lots to do and see. The Mill is the best quick service restaurant, IMO, at WDW. There is a wide variety of food and a unique place to eat it. I love to sit by the window and watch the large water wheel working. There is a place for children with a tv and smaller tables too. There are several quiet pools and one large main pool. Our kids/grandkids loved the smaller quiet pools the best. We've never been disappointed at POR. The buses are the same as any other resort. We have not noticed any difference in them. If you have small children, you might ask or a preferred room or one closest to the main building, as the farther rooms are a little walk and probably too much for little ones. Although our young grandchildren were in 35 and they did just fine getting around. I can't think of anything bad about POR, and hope you have a great time.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I've stayed at POR many times. Love the hotel - peaceful, nice rooms, good dining options. The boats to DS are very relaxing. My only recommendation is to be wary of the bus service. My wife once waited over an hour for a bus to MK, and we once waited at DS for a bus while 2-3 buses showed up for other resorts (the new estimated wait times in MDE should help with planning). Just set expectations accordingly. It is a fantastic resort.

Darkseid

I love both of them. I slightly prefer POFQ because the walks are shorter to get anywhere. My experiences with the busses were fine for both. POR is huge, but it's absolutely beautiful. It feels so tranquil and is great for long walks/jogs. The boat to DS is lovely.

Mary<3sWDW

I love staying at POFQ! It’s a smaller resort so it feels less hectic and it has a very laid back and relaxing vibe. I love being able to get the boat to Disney Springs and that there’s only one bus stop when you are coming home after a long day in the parks. If you like to swim, it has a really cute pool. And how can I not mention the beignets! They are amazing! We had dinner at POR at Boatwright’s and thought it was delicious. I don’t know much else about POR but it looked really nice. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I stay at least once every year. Sometimes twice. Will be staying there for 5 nights the end of August. POFQ is quaint. Smaller and not as active as POR. Don't get me wrong....it's not boring. POFQ has a good pool, good ambience, and overall is a great place.

If I had to compare it.....think Swolphin. POFQ is the Swan (Westin) and POR is the Dolphin (Sheraton). Now the grounds at PO are much more better (ode to Jack) than the Swolphin (unless you are considering the Boardwalk as part of the grounds...which I guess you could).

Personally, I just end up hanging out more at Riverside (IMO the public areas are better) even when staying at the Quarter. So lately I've been booking POR more. But then again if staying at Riverside I have to walk to the Quarter for beignets.

If staying at FQ I'd request building 5 or 6. That puts you about 2 minutes to the public areas at FQ and about 10 from the equivalent at POR.

Last edited:

Brickrancher

You can't go wrong with Port Orleans. With children the ages of yours, I would go Riverside for sure. The pool is better for kids and the food court is nicer. I think of French Quarter as more of a couples resort. It is very quiet and relaxed compared to Riverside.
Do not miss the boat ride to Disney Springs. It is beautiful and the best way to spend some down time while still being surrounded by the Disney ambiance.

It is also very close to Magic Kingdom as well as Epcot and Disney Studios. We have never had bus issues at the time of year you will be going.

sgtbtlbailey

Following!

We’re staying at POFQ but are considering upgrading to Royal Guest room. Worth the extra?

We haven't stayed in them, but the royal rooms are at POR, not FQ. They look really cool though, so I definitely think its worth a try once, just to see. Especially if you have little ones.

LeighM

I love the Port Orleans resorts! A room in the Alligator Bayou section of Riverside might be better with 3 kids because the rooms sleep 5, with the pull down Murphy bed bench. Those rooms do not have elevators to the second floor so you would need to request a first floor room if it's something that's required for you with strollers, etc. The rooms are currently undergoing renovations at Riverside, French Quarter is already complete. You can use the the facilities at both resorts. The unofficial Port Orleans website has really good information - www.portorleans.org. We love Riverside because its so relaxing. And the boat ride to Disney Springs is a really good option. We stayed in a royal room a few years ago. The room was nice but the thing to keep in mind is the bus stop order at Riverside to the theme parks is West Depot, North Depot, East Depot, South Depot. The royal rooms are closest to the East Depot and South Depot. I believe the South Depot outside of the lobby has its own MK bus in the mornings but not the other park buses. The bus could be full by the time it gets to the South Depot. That happened to us. The bus would often be full or standing room only. So the last time we stayed at Riverside, I requested a room in alligator bayou near the West Depot. It was perfect for us because our room was only a couple of minutes away and the bus was always empty when it got to us so we had a seat. Plus, it's the first drop off when you get back to the resort. Disney Springs bus stops at South Depot first. So the West Depot is the second stop.

Mickey5150

French Quarter has the most accurate theming of any Disney resort. On the water, swamp all around, wrought iron fencing and beignets. Such a beautiful resort that if I ever felt like spending more on a resort again I'd always pick POFQ. Beignets

JohnD

I'm staying at POFQ in early December. Haven't stayed in a while. I love the boat access to DS and one bus stop. (It may occasionally share with POR, though). I was considering River View. While you would have a nice view of the river, you pretty much would have a longer walk to get to everything. For the higher price, I didn't think it was worth it. Instead, go with Garden View and ask for Building 4 or 6. Those are closer to bus transportation and still not a very long walk to the boat dock.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm staying at POFQ in early December. Haven't stayed in a while. I love the boat access to DS and one bus stop. (It may occasionally share with POR, though). I was considering River View. While you would have a nice view of the river, you pretty much would have a longer walk to get to everything. For the higher price, I didn't think it was worth it. Instead, go with Garden View and ask for Building 4 or 6. Those are closer to bus transportation and still not a very long walk to the boat dock.

We are going early December too. We stayed at POFQ once this past March and really liked it. Our favorite is POR, but would not stay there due to dog issue. We felt that anywhere on property was close to everything! It really is small and compact and nothing is far away. I walked around the whole resort in about 15 minutes, stopping to rest at the different courtyards. I did notice that at bldg. 7 the area looks different somehow than the area around 2 and 1. You will have a good spot no matter where you end up. We are doing garden view too. Have a great trip.

JohnD

We are going early December too. We stayed at POFQ once this past March and really liked it. Our favorite is POR, but would not stay there due to dog issue. We felt that anywhere on property was close to everything! It really is small and compact and nothing is far away. I walked around the whole resort in about 15 minutes, stopping to rest at the different courtyards. I did notice that at bldg. 7 the area looks different somehow than the area around 2 and 1. You will have a good spot no matter where you end up. We are doing garden view too. Have a great trip.

I believe the dog rooms end in October. I forgot to mention, try and get a corner room. It has windows on two sides which make the room seem more open.

JillC LI

We loved POR when we stayed there for the first time in 2017. We stayed in Building 17 of Alligator Bayou which was a really quick walk to the main building where the food court is, the pool, and a bus stop. Don't miss Yehaa Bob at the Lounge - he's one of a kind; family friendly. It's a ten minute walk to POFQ for those incredible beignets. And the boat to Disney Springs is lovely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom