Port Orleans vs Coronado Springs?

Oh bother!

Original Poster
Hi… I’ve been away from the forums for a while as honestly whilst no Disney trips were going to be possible (thanks covid m) they just made me sad.

We normally book the U.K. offer with free dining, whilst that’s unavailable my usual choice of AKL isn’t going to work financially.

We are probably looking at a choice of Port Orleans or Coronado Springs for late November/December 2023. Any thoughts or decision makers between the two?

The trip is my OH and I, so kids amenities don’t matter to us.

Thanks!

CynBeth

We have never stayed at CS but love POFQ and POR. It is all bus to the parks which was fine and there is a boat to Disney Springs. For POFQ it is smaller with a mardi gras theme and one bus stop sometimes they share a bus with Riverside and they share amenities but not far to walk between. We were there a long time ago before the renovation and really liked it. We stayed a few years ago at POR in the mansion section in a Royal room with a river view and it was such pretty grounds and a short walk to the food court. There is also a bayou section. Each area plus the main building has a bus stop.

TrainsOfDisney

Hi… I’ve been away from the forums for a while as honestly whilst no Disney trips were going to be possible (thanks covid m) they just made me sad.

We normally book the U.K. offer with free dining, whilst that’s unavailable my usual choice of AKL isn’t going to work financially.

We are probably looking at a choice of Port Orleans or Coronado Springs for late November/December 2023. Any thoughts or decision makers between the two?

The trip is my OH and I, so kids amenities don’t matter to us.

Thanks!
I’ve stayed at both Port Orleans resorts (all 3 if you count the bayou and mansions!) as well as Coronado.

I personally prefer the Port Orleans Resorts for the ambiance, layout, and dining options. You also have the boats that take you to and from Disney Springs.

However, Coronado Springs has a more “upscale” feel. Just feels like a more luxurious resort to me.

Oh bother!

Original Poster
We have never stayed at CS but love POFQ and POR. It is all bus to the parks which was fine and there is a boat to Disney Springs. For POFQ it is smaller with a mardi gras theme and one bus stop sometimes they share a bus with Riverside and they share amenities but not far to walk between. We were there a long time ago before the renovation and really liked it. We stayed a few years ago at POR in the mansion section in a Royal room with a river view and it was such pretty grounds and a short walk to the food court. There is also a bayou section. Each area plus the main building has a bus stop.
Thank you….we don’t mind bus only as used to that from AKL.

The boat to springs does sound like a nice evening option!

Oh bother!

Original Poster
I’ve stayed at both Port Orleans resorts (all 3 if you count the bayou and mansions!) as well as Coronado.

I personally prefer the Port Orleans Resorts for the ambiance, layout, and dining options. You also have the boats that take you to and from Disney Springs.

However, Coronado Springs has a more “upscale” feel. Just feels like a more luxurious resort to me.
Thank you! That’s really interesting…. I’d probably prefer a little more of a luxury feel!
We were not a fan of all stars at all so I’ve been concerned not to repeat anything like that experience!!

Oh bother!

Original Poster
CSR, especially the tower, has a more deluxe feel. It also has more amenities like two fitness centers, spa and salon, and some great restaurants.
Thank you! I can’t see an option for the tower only standard, king or water view. Is it dvc?

mf1972

we’ve never stayed at CSR ourselves. too big & spread out for our taste. but the gran destino tower does look nice & i would say looks more deluxe but in the moderate category. we’ve stayed at POFQ a few times already & it’s become a favorite of ours. POR is within walking distance & is spread out as well, but we like FQ for its size & quick access to everything no matter where your room is located. it all comes down to one’s preference.

Oh bother!

Original Poster
we’ve never stayed at CSR ourselves. too big & spread out for our taste. but the gran destino tower does look nice & i would say looks more deluxe but in the moderate category. we’ve stayed at POFQ a few times already & it’s become a favorite of ours. POR is within walking distance & is spread out as well, but we like FQ for its size & quick access to everything no matter where your room is located. it all comes down to one’s preference.
I think if we go Port Orleans we’d probably stay FQ for exactly the reason you mention. I like to be able to easily grab coffees, drinks in the morning etc without too long a walk!

adam.adbe

if it helps, you can always watch some youtube videos of the resorts & see which one you like

I'm not sure it does in this case: CSR *looks* fancier but lacks for charm (that convention center vibe can be hard to ignore) where POFQ can *feel* nicer but is hardly going to wow if you're just looking at the pictures of the small lobby/gift shop/dining hall.

Oh bother!

Original Poster
I'm not sure it does in this case: CSR *looks* fancier but lacks for charm (that convention center vibe can be hard to ignore) where POFQ can *feel* nicer but is hardly going to wow if you're just looking at the pictures of the small lobby/gift shop/dining hall.
I had looked a walk throughs and photos but I agree feel and personal experience count for so much!

Oh bother!

Original Poster
if it helps, you can always watch some youtube videos of the resorts & see which one you like
I did have a look…. Unfortunately in this case I didn’t spot my obvious decision maker which is why I thought some personal experiences on the resorts might help.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
I’ve stayed at both and enjoyed both but unless you need something more physically compact I would give a slight edge up to CSR.

If you were comparing Riverside and CSR however it might be too close for me to call.

Oh bother!

Original Poster
I’ve stayed at both and enjoyed both but unless you need something more physically compact I would give a slight edge up to CSR.

If you were comparing Riverside and CSR however it might be too close for me to call.
We could do Riverside…. I prefer the restaurant choices but I also don’t think we will do so many sit downs without the free dining so I’ll probably be at springs more!

It seems from the comments there’s not a huge amount between them…. So I’ll probably just go with the cheaper option when we go to book (hopefully Friday!)

adam.adbe

We could do Riverside…. I prefer the restaurant choices but I also don’t think we will do so many sit downs without the free dining so I’ll probably be at springs more!

It seems from the comments there’s not a huge amount between them…. So I’ll probably just go with the cheaper option when we go to book (hopefully Friday!)
WRT POR/POFQ remember the distance between the north end of POFQ to POR is about the same as the distance to the POFQ's lobby. Obviously the distance to POR's lobby is longer, but it's an easy stroll, or you can just take the boat.

Of the two, I personally much prefer FQ as if busses are being shared between the resorts, FQ is the first pick-up and first drop-off. I have been known to wander over to Riverside to sit in the shade in the afternoon though. I find French Quarter most pleasant during mornings and evenings. Riverside for me is at its best during the day.

Toodycat

CMs at POR were very nice when we visited in May, but there were a ton of issues with getting us checked in that should not have occurred. My son didn’t get his room assignment until after 6 and check-in is at 3. I haven’t been to CSR in a while, but when I did stay there, I would say it was run more efficiently.

dreday3

Only stayed at Gran Destino, but watched tons of video of POR/POFQ.

As far as CSR, we loved Grand Destino, the bars inside Gran Destino and Three Bridges (restaurant on the lake) but as far as CSR overall? Not my cup of tea. Felt like a sub-division in Arizona. The grounds are pretty and it's well kept/run, just kind of blah. I didn't think I'd ever notice something not having a "Disney" feel, but we did there. It felt like we were at a nice resort that could have been located anywhere. And the food court was not very good while we were there, but that may have been a Covid thing.

Now the grounds at POR/POFQ look so much more fun to me. A lot more character. But I can't speak to food or anything.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom