Port Orleans Riverside

Katybug

My boyfriend and I are going to Disney World December 15-21. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I have heard a lot of good things about this hotel and a lot of bad things. Can anyone who has recently gone give me any advice?

Also we are REALLY into Christmas so we want a tree in our room. The only thing I have been able to find is a florist nearby has 4 foot trees for $350. That's way too high!! Does anyone have any ideas??

Patsc85

I have to say, along with Wilderness Lodge. No other resorts have as good of themeing as French Quarter and Riverside(dixie landings by heart). It is so immersive, and the Florida climate really helps create this atmosphere.
The food is always good, the pool is top notch I'd say second to Storm Along bay over at yacht and beach.
The rooms are always clean, and roomy. The main buildings are so beautiful.
The food court actually has a working cotton press (well they used to actually press a bail of cotton, don't think they do anymore), that is attached to the giant water wheel.
A side note about the buses, when I was there in late august this year, Riverside had its own bus stop at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom. I can't speak for Downtown or MGM, as I took the boat to DTD and didn't hit MGM. I almost always use the main bus stop, and the buses come almost every 10 minutes.
I feel this is one of Disneys most underrated resorts.

Upvote 0

PeeplMoovr

I just stayed there this past weekend for the 25th, and I'll be back there in December. Alligator Bayou ranks right up there with the best resort areas in WDW to me.

Enjoy your trip! :xmas:

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

We prefer the mansions area at POR, particularly the Magnolia Manor and the Parterre Place buildings.

The garden landscaping is great.
Walking over the bridge to go to the food court in the mornings is terrific.

:)

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

We love POR- but it'll always be Dixie Landings to us! We spent our honeymoon in Alligator Bayou. We have also stayed in Magnolia Bend. We just love the atmosphere! They've recently redone the food court and have some nice new choices. My favorite thing is the relaxing boat ride to DTD on the Sassagoula River.

Upvote 0

Katybug

Original Poster
Wow!!! Thank you everyone for all of the replys so quickly. You have all answered my questions. POR must be popular to have so many replys in just a few hours!!

We decided to stay in the Mansions. I liked the inside of the rooms better than the Alligator Bayou. I don't know which building we will be in yet, but hopefully it won't be that far of a walk to the food court and buses.

I haven't been to Disney World since 2004. I heard a lot has changed in the past few year, and I can't wait to go. Thanks again for all of the quick responses. :animwink:

Upvote 0

jalpcm

We stayed at the POR on our last visit in May 2006. We stayed on the plantation side which was absolutely beautiful. We stayed for 8 days and only two times did the buses stop at the French Quarter. The rest of times it was straight to our destination. The food court was great and most of the time we had to eat there. So probably one of my only complaints was that unless you had a reservation you weren't eating at Boatwrights. But that really wasn't such a big deal. I do wish they had three restaurants and two gift shops. We would most definitely stay there again. It really was beautiful.

Upvote 0

WIX

I'm with a couple other poster's . . . it will always be Dixie Landings to me as well. We absolutely loved it both times we stayed there. It is by far the best moderate resort on WDW property.

Being DVC members and deluxe resort people WL is my number one fave. POR/DL is my definite second fave.

You will love it . . . have a great time.

Upvote 0

jonesenon4

:sohappy:i am really enjoying reading this thread since we will be checking into por sunday oct 7. we have never stayed here but have stayed at pofq a couple of times.we loved fq and visited riverside just never stayed there.
see yall real soon and have a magical day.:sohappy:

kungaloosh
&
war eagle

Upvote 0

Beauty_Belle

This is great feedback for my family and I are thinking of staying there in the spring.
How are the busses?
Are they a far walk from your room?
We are debating staying here or Caribbean Beach.
Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

This is great feedback for my family and I are thinking of staying there in the spring.
How are the busses?
Thanks in advance!

If those are the two choices then it's going to be a matter of what theme do you want. Beach or elegant South.
Buses and bus stops are similar.
Rooms etc.
POR may have an edge on the food court.

POR is our favorite. Younger children may prefer the beach theme.

Upvote 0

VickiMints

I've stayed at POR twice - once in the mansions, and once in Alligator Bayou. I'm currently planning a trip for December, and coming back and staying in one of the mansions is definitely one of the options. My only problem with Alligator Bayou (where I will definitely NOT stay again) is that all the buildings look alike to me and I can't understand the signage.

Now, that isn't a dealbreaker on its own, but when one happens to be a bit "under the weather" after returning from the parks at night and NEEDS to return to the room ASAP but can't find the building itself, much less the room, and feels like curling up on the sidewalk in the fetal position and shriveling away and leaving it all to fate... (yes, I'm scarred - I just can't take that risk again, please don't mock me!)

Short version - I really like POR! I prefer it to FQ after staying in both, anyway. It's a great Moderate resort with a good location.

Upvote 0

Beauty_Belle

If those are the two choices then it's going to be a matter of what theme do you want. Beach or elegant South.
Buses and bus stops are similar.
Rooms etc.
POR may have an edge on the food court.

POR is our favorite. Younger children may prefer the beach theme.

Thank you! We do like good food! No kids (only at heart anyway).

Upvote 0

figmentmom

POR is our absolute favorite resort! You can't go wrong with the elegant theming and atmosphere. We've always found bus service to the parks to be prompt and efficient, and the selections at the food court are varied and plentiful.

Have a great time!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How are the busses?
Thanks in advance!
PORS for one simple reason.

Banana Stuffed french toast with strawberries at Boatwright's.:slurp:

P1070451.jpg

Upvote 0

figmentmom

How are the busses?
Thanks in advance!

We've stayed at both, and of the two, we much prefer POR (not that CB isn't lovely - it is!) CB just seems a longer bus ride from everything, and the food court at Old Port Royale, while nice, is quite a hike from some of the "islands". We just prefer the more romantic atmosphere at POR.

Upvote 0

Beauty_Belle

PORS for one simple reason.

Banana Stuffed french toast with strawberries at Boatwright's.:slurp:

P1070451.jpg

Oh my, Master Yoda! That's sure to get the cholestrol up! :ROFLOL:

Thank you figmentmom!! Food is always a priority with all, along with the bus stops. It's been well over 10 years since we stayed at CB so we were not sure. It sounds like we should give POR a try!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh my, Master Yoda! That's sure to get the cholestrol up! :ROFLOL:

Thank you figmentmom!! Food is always a priority with all, along with the bus stops. It's been well over 10 years since we stayed at CB so we were not sure. It sounds like we should give POR a try!
Cholesterol... not so much. Blood sugar on the other hand......:lol:

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

That pic of the banana stuffed french toast and coffee got me really excited about eating breakfast at Boatwright's. I am so excited about staying at POR for the first time, next month. The reviews from everyone are so great.

Can't wait... 33 daysss!!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom