Port Orleans, Riverside Vs. French Quarter

LIMA TIME

Original Poster
I have always wanted to stay at Port Orleans, preferably the Mansions. I have always stayed at Deluxe but taking a long weekend in Feb and thought this was the time to try outthis resort! I am super excited and would love any tips and feedback!
we have always stayed at deluxe as well. Let me know how it is, we will be going in March/ April.

JillC LI

POR has Yehaa Bob in the River Roost Lounge. POFQ has beignets. Can't go wrong with either! (But we loved the Alligator Bayou section of POR on our last trip.)

ChanceH

Have stayed at POR and loved it. We were in building 2 I think and it was a few minute walk to get to the lobby/dining room area. Wasn't horrible for us. Rooms were nice and grounds were nice and quiet. Had a pool and laundry room within 50 feet of our door so was also nice. Our next trip is to POFQ (10/19-22) so in 24 days I'll tell you my updated view on comparing the 2.

Have stayed at POR and loved it. We were in building 2 I think and it was a few minute walk to get to the lobby/dining room area. Wasn't horrible for us. Rooms were nice and grounds were nice and quiet. Had a pool and laundry room within 50 feet of our door so was also nice. Our next trip is to POFQ (10/19-22) so in 24 days I'll tell you my updated view on comparing the 2.
please do

correcaminos

I have always wanted to stay at Port Orleans, preferably the Mansions. I have always stayed at Deluxe but taking a long weekend in Feb and thought this was the time to try outthis resort! I am super excited and would love any tips and feedback!
I think they are lovely rooms and not a bad one to try if you have been doing deluxes a lot previously. It will be smaller but the theming is quite nice. I actually seem to be in the minority here and prefer Riverside - specifically the mansions - to FQ. I find FQ to be noisy and sometimes very long walks to where you want to be. Riverside is bigger but it was easier to navigate for me.

jaklgreen

I think they are lovely rooms and not a bad one to try if you have been doing deluxes a lot previously. It will be smaller but the theming is quite nice. I actually seem to be in the minority here and prefer Riverside - specifically the mansions - to FQ. I find FQ to be noisy and sometimes very long walks to where you want to be. Riverside is bigger but it was easier to navigate for me.

What? There are no long walks at POFQ. You can be at one side and walk to the other and it is still a short walk, especially compared to every other moderate resort.

correcaminos

What? There are no long walks at POFQ. You can be at one side and walk to the other and it is still a short walk, especially compared to every other moderate resort.
We had what I felt was a long walk from building 7 really close to the water. It felt way longer than our stay in the mansions at least where the bus stop was right there and the bridge to the main area was close too. Maybe we took bad paths but we didn't get there quickly. I'm really just not a fan of FQ vs the Riverside. Totally about opinion :)

jaklgreen

We had what I felt was a long walk from building 7 really close to the water. It felt way longer than our stay in the mansions at least where the bus stop was right there and the bridge to the main area was close too. Maybe we took bad paths but we didn't get there quickly. I'm really just not a fan of FQ vs the Riverside. Totally about opinion :)

It definitely depends on what room location you get at POR as far as distance to the bus goes. But the furthest room in building 7 at POFQ is under .3 miles to the buses, less then a 5 minute walk. Which we can all agree on is not far at all. POR is a beautiful resort and many people enjoy it more then POFQ. The only thing I disagree with you on is that there is a "very long walk" at POFQ. I would hate for someone who has never stayed there to think that they will be walking a great distance at that resort when in fact it is the most compact moderate resort at WDW.

correcaminos

It definitely depends on what room location you get at POR as far as distance to the bus goes. But the furthest room in building 7 at POFQ is under .3 miles to the buses, less then a 5 minute walk. Which we can all agree on is not far at all. POR is a beautiful resort and many people enjoy it more then POFQ. The only thing I disagree with you on is that there is a "very long walk" at POFQ. I would hate for someone who has never stayed there to think that they will be walking a great distance at that resort when in fact it is the most compact moderate resort at WDW.

My dad lives 1/3 of a mile from my house. It takes us more than 5 minutes to walk there with a little one. Closer to 10 minutes probably if we are strolling along and not in arush. I did measure the route we took and it was .35miles. The other route we took we got lost so I didn't use that one again. Not hugely long, but compared to the .13 miles to the bus stop from our POR room and the .21 miles to the main area of the resort, it felt long.

As a reference the .3 mile measurement is all that those who complain about the long walk at AKL Kidani face. So it is all relative and a matter of perspective and opinion. So if those at AKL can say it was a long walk, I am just as right in saying our building was a long and noisy walk away. Most won't get that likely, but still it doesn't mean my comment was invalid either. As I said *sometimes* very long walks. Not always :)

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with any walks until I want to refill my mug. For instance I was staying at CBR at Aruba and just wanted a refill of my beverage which was across the water. ( how far is that my Disney navigators?) just wish they had beverage stations through out or in this case one on the Aruba side

larandtra

After staying at all of the Deluxe resorts and most moderates, Either is a favorite and from a value point of view, absolutely worth it. The feel and immersion at either of them are as good as any deluxe resort. Id say for an adult trip, I think the intimacy of FQ is better, but, for kids and families, Riverside seems to be the better option, even though I think it can be just as quiet in the outer buildings. Yes it is a walk to the main building, but, its well worth it.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

I'm a little late to the game, OP, but we have been big POR fans for years.
However, now that it is designated a dog friendly resort, we don't know what we want to. Love dogs, but not at Disney. don't want to step in poo that someone neglected to clean up, or smell dog urine. They can be everywhere except in food areas or pool area, on leashes. They are supposed to be in bldg. 24 only.
We love the peace and tranquility of POr, AB section, but are wondering if we will be happy at a dog friendly resort with few restrictions?
If you have 3 kids, POR AB has room for five with a trundle bed that pulls out in front of the tv. We love everything about POR, but are thinking FQ for the Spring. hope this helps.

ChanceH

Well after staying at POFQ last week my family definitely prefers POR. We had a few issues, though minor, annoyed us. We had two rooms and both showers the water was constantly hot cold hot cold. Could never keep it steady. Also the food court was definitely not our favorite. Took over 30 min for food both times we ate at the Grill Shop. “Tried” to eat a rice bowl with shrimp and couldn’t get through 2 bites. The worst red beans, rice, and shrimp I’ve ever had. That’s bad considering shrimp are my weakness, I can eat 2 quarts in a sit almost always. Bad for me but so good. Overall POFQ is a nice resort, the people are great like always, rooms are very clean, nice and quiet grounds. We just like POR better.

Minnesota disney fan

Well after staying at POFQ last week my family definitely prefers POR. We had a few issues, though minor, annoyed us. We had two rooms and both showers the water was constantly hot cold hot cold. Could never keep it steady. Also the food court was definitely not our favorite. Took over 30 min for food both times we ate at the Grill Shop. “Tried” to eat a rice bowl with shrimp and couldn’t get through 2 bites. The worst red beans, rice, and shrimp I’ve ever had. That’s bad considering shrimp are my weakness, I can eat 2 quarts in a sit almost always. Bad for me but so good. Overall POFQ is a nice resort, the people are great like always, rooms are very clean, nice and quiet grounds. We just like POR better.

Well, that kind of helps me make my mind up:) Thanks for the report. It sounds like several things came together at the same time to make it miserable. Hope POR is not too affected by the "dogs".

NelleBelle

I think you should be happy with either. We've stayed a number of times at POFQ and once at POR--AB because we had 3 adults and 2 kids that trip that couldn't sleep in a pack n play. Loved both: FQfor the bus and closeness of everything; POR for the grounds (we were very close to bus stop 3 and one of the pools). But it was crazy far for filling our mugs up. I generally filled mine up at breakfast and took it to the parks and filled up on the way back to the room. Would love to stay in the mansions sometime!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom