Port Orleans Riverside v. French Quarter

Missymoe4

I have stayed at Riverside a few times, and have enjoyed the time I have spent.

But, since I've stayed at Riverside, something keeps telling me to look into possibly staying at the French Quarter instead.

I don't know if I should go with the "same" or totally mix things up and go with a new place. Thoughts?

So, what are the "pros" and "cons" of each?

corey154

I say try it, you might find you like the quieter and slower pace it seems to be. And if you start missing Riverside, it's a quick boatride over to eat and walk around.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Two main differences spring to mind -

FQ is half the size of Riverside in terms of bedrooms = less guests. It appears to be a more "intimate" resort

Buses - only one bus stop at the front of the resort - buses usually stop here before going onto Riverside, therefore, no standing for FQ guests on the way to the parks

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Two main differences spring to mind -

FQ is half the size of Riverside in terms of bedrooms = less guests. It appears to be a more "intimate" resort

Buses - only one bus stop at the front of the resort - buses usually stop here before going onto Riverside, therefore, no standing for FQ guests on the way to the parks

I have never taken a bus while staying in POR--I've always had a car. So, FQ is the first stop/last stop?

Maybe intimate is not what I want...I'm going with my brother. I just like it quiet after a loud day at the parks.

How about the marina...is it tied to POR? (for the water jets that we planned on renting).

Sorry so many questions.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

The size is the most noticeable difference between French Quarter and Riverside. The French Quarter is themed just as you would expect from the name - it has a New Orleans FQ style of architecture. Riverside has the more stately Mansion section, and the more overgrown feel in the Bayou Section.

Like stated above, there is only one bus stop at FQ, while there are several at Riverside. When the two resorts share a bus, it will generally stop at FQ first and then proceed over to Riverside. Since we rent a car, we don't often use the bus service, but having stayed at both, bus service was not an issue for us at either resort the few times we used it.

French Quarter only has a counter service restaurant - Riverside has a counter service and Boatwrights, a table service only open for dinner.

Both offer the boat service to Downtown Disney, which is a nice relaxing way to head to and from DD.

There is one pool, with a large sepent themed slide at FQ. There is the main pool at Riverside with a slide, and several smaller "quiet pools" located throughout the resort.

Between the two, we like FQ better because of the smaller layout. Riverside isn't bad by any means, but out of the two, I'd say go with FQ.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

You will like either resort.

Just FYI on the buses-

Guests staying at French Quarter can get the impression that the Disney buses are always shared with Riverside. The reason is that most buses leave French Quarter not full so, instead of going to the park with an unfilled bus, they also swing through Riverside and fill them up.
From the viewpoint of the French Quarter guests, the buses always seem to be shared.

What guests staying at French Quarter don't see is that Riverside also has its own buses. The ones coming from French Quarter are extra.

To further confuse things, because they ran out of space for bus stops at DHS, the FQ and Riverside buses share a stop there. At the other 3 parks there are separate bus stops for French Quarter and for Riverside.
Also, during the slower times of the day when there are few riders, they may share buses.

:king:

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

Original Poster
You will like either resort.

Just FYI on the buses-

Guests staying at French Quarter can get the impression that the Disney buses are always shared with Riverside. The reason is that most buses leave French Quarter not full so, instead of going to the park with an unfilled bus, they also swing through Riverside and fill them up.
From the viewpoint of the French Quarter guests, the buses always seem to be shared.

What guests staying at French Quarter don't see is that Riverside also has its own buses. The ones coming from French Quarter are extra.

To further confuse things, because they ran out of space for bus stops at DHS, the FQ and Riverside buses share a stop there. At the other 3 parks there are separate bus stops for French Quarter and for Riverside.
Also, during the slower times of the day when there are few riders, they may share buses.

:king:

This is terrific information to know. Is it safe to say that FQ's bus stop line (from the parks) isn't as busy? And, given that it is smaller = less people waiting?

All great stuff to keep in mind! Thank you folks--you guys rock!!!

Upvote 0

drp4video

We have stayed at POR quite a few times. The last time we went, we decided to try French Quarter and loved it. Loved the theming and the fact that it was smaller.

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

I have only stayed at POFQ once but it was AMAZING. If my wife and I were to go again and stay at a Mod that would be the one. But, I have never heard anything bad about the POR. So you cant go wrong with either one.

Upvote 0

DisneyRunner

Try POFQ. The food court is smaller, but finding an open table is never difficult. The CS menu is different than POR. The chef dinner is offered, but it includes ribs. If you find out POFQ is not want you wanted, you can always walk, boat or bus over to POR. You get two resorts in one.

Upvote 0

redfive13

I'm going to say Riverside!

I've stayed at both and really prefer Riverside. I stayed at FQ 3yrs ago and really was all that impressed. It was clean, the staff was friendly but that was about it for me.

I've 2 times at Riverside and just booked a week in May. It just feels like more effort went into Riverside. FQ seemed like a forgotten sister resort that needed some attention.

Just my opinion, there's nothing truly wrong with the resort. You'll have a blast when you stay there, it just didn't appeal to me.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

The bus stops "from the parks" are very busy because it picks up for both Port Orleans resorts. Riverside is pretty large with 4 bus stops.

We stayed at FQ and it was great. Love the small size.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

While I have never stayed at either resort, it seems that those that I know who have stayed their seem to prefer FQ over POR for the smaller size of the resort. Which makes is easier to get from here to there quicker.

Upvote 0
Alot of people do go on about how POFQ is better for it's smaller size and it is. But I liked the fact POR was spread out and you were in your own little area. Saying that, we had a bust stop right out the back of our building.

I LOVED POR and would love to stay there again. My wife loved it as well and we really can't tell you how much we did. I regularly walked over to POFQ in the morning with my baby for a quick bite to eat. Both resorts are failry close to each other and we would regularly walk between the two, night or day. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom