• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Port Orleans - Riverside, Royal Guest Room

KBLovesDisney

Original Poster
Alright, I already asked about the Swan and Dolphin, but I have once heard of these rooms. After looking at these prices, I am amazed and want to know more.

DH and I are planning a trip back to the World in 2020 and he is a huge Aladdin fan (think that was his favorite Disney movie).

Have any of you stayed there? Pros/Cons?

HoustonHorn

Advertisement
We stayed in one of these rooms in December 2016 - me, my wife and our almost-2 year old daughter. I'm a long-time fan of POR (going back to its Dixie Landings days). The location was great - relatively close to both a bus stop and the main building. Room theme was really nice, and the 1-year old really enjoyed it.

Our issue was transportation - the buses were awful. My wife once waited oven an hour for a bus to MK. On the way home from DS, 3 buses for Saratoga Springs (which is connected to DS and can be walked) showed up before the first bus for POR. We spoke with the manager at POR, who was wonderful, and he acknowledged that transportation was causing him many headaches (the hotel's do not have control over transportation, but guests take out frustrations on the hotels).

I have not heard if the transportation has improved. Unless and until it does, we will not stay there again. Which is a shame, as I have stayed at DL/POR 4 different times.

KBLovesDisney

Original Poster
We stayed in one of these rooms in December 2016 - me, my wife and our almost-2 year old daughter. I'm a long-time fan of POR (going back to its Dixie Landings days). The location was great - relatively close to both a bus stop and the main building. Room theme was really nice, and the 1-year old really enjoyed it.

Our issue was transportation - the buses were awful. My wife once waited oven an hour for a bus to MK. On the way home from DS, 3 buses for Saratoga Springs (which is connected to DS and can be walked) showed up before the first bus for POR. We spoke with the manager at POR, who was wonderful, and he acknowledged that transportation was causing him many headaches (the hotel's do not have control over transportation, but guests take out frustrations on the hotels).

I have not heard if the transportation has improved. Unless and until it does, we will not stay there again. Which is a shame, as I have stayed at DL/POR 4 different times.
Are the buses at POR worse than the All-Stars or about the same?

HoustonHorn

Are the buses at POR worse than the All-Stars or about the same?
I haven't stayed at the All Stars, so I cannot comment on that. POR does have 4 bus stops, and some buses are shared with POFQ. The issue with my wife wasn't that a bunch of full buses came by - just that from the time she got to the bus stop, it was over an hour until the first MK bus showed up. Now, if you're willing to Uber everywhere, buses won't be an issue and you can enjoy a great resort. I think the one word I would use for POR is "Relaxing." There are horse-drawn carriage rides, and the boat to DS is a nice ride. And the grounds were just peaceful.

Worldlover71

I haven't stayed at the All Stars, so I cannot comment on that. POR does have 4 bus stops, and some buses are shared with POFQ. The issue with my wife wasn't that a bunch of full buses came by - just that from the time she got to the bus stop, it was over an hour until the first MK bus showed up. Now, if you're willing to Uber everywhere, buses won't be an issue and you can enjoy a great resort. I think the one word I would use for POR is "Relaxing." There are horse-drawn carriage rides, and the boat to DS is a nice ride. And the grounds were just peaceful.
I'm sorry that happened to your wife. Other than that one incident, how were the buses? Were they consistently a problem?

HoustonHorn

I'm sorry that happened to your wife. Other than that one incident, how were the buses? Were they consistently a problem?
They were regularly irregular.

This is before the board were installed and before MDE let you track, but other than the first bus of the day, you really never knew when they would show up. And they were regularly really full when they did come by. And catching the buses back to the resort were worse - I know everyone thinks that their buses aren't showing up as often as other resorts (especially when you're exhausted and just want to get back to the room), but I started tracking, and it was obvious that the deluxes had buses coming much more often than POR. That's somewhat expected, as they cost more.

The last straw for me was the night leaving DS, when Saratoga Springs (remember, Saratoga Springs IS ATTACHED TO DS BY A BRIDGE AND IS EASILY WALKABLE) had 3 buses show up while we waited for the first back to POR. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

LeighM

From my experience at POR, the buses aren't worse than other resorts. One thing to keep in mind at POR, is that the theme park bus stops go in order of West, North, East, and South Depot. The Disney Springs bus goes from South, West, North, and East. If you wait at the main bus stop at a busy time of day, often the bus will be full by the time it gets there so will skip over South or let very few people on. That's why I began requesting a room in Alligator Bayou near the first stop, West Depot. The bus was always empty when it arrived. Keep in mind that all the bus stops at the parks at the end of the day are going to be slammed but Riverside does have one of the longest lines. But it also utilizes the larger buses during those times. I stayed at Coronado this past trip because of the Disney Visa discount that I couldn't say no to. The buses there were better - I think it was because a lot of the guests were also conventioneers so the crowds going to the parks was a lot less. Although we still had the same problem with the early morning Epcot bus that I had at Riverside lol.

The royal rooms themselves were nice although I wouldn't stay there again. Riverside has plans to refurbish their rooms. They are currently working on Alligator Bayou and the plans have been paused and I believe will begin again sometime this year. No plans have been discussed on what changes will be made to the Royal Rooms. The reason I wouldn't stay in one again, is because I don't think it's worth it for the price. I've stayed in building a standard mansion room in building 85 and it was a much better location than the royal room in building 90 and much better than 95. A themed carpet, decor, and a cool headboard wasn't enough for me to justify the price. And when I realized the bus routing, I much preferred to stay in Alligator Bayou to be closer to the first theme park bus stop at West Depot. I was put in building 34 and it was a 2 minute walk to the bus stop. It was further from the main lobby but that didn't bother us much and we enjoyed the relaxing walk through the resort. The Royal Rooms are close to East Depot and the South Depot depending on where your room is in that section. What we did often though when we stayed in a royal room was if the PO buses were split, and the French Quarter bus was there and didn't have a line, we would jump on that bus and walk back to our royal room. It was often quicker than waiting for a bus for Riverside.

Top Bottom