Port Orleans Riverside - Get me excited!

LeighM

Yes, they did add another bus for the busy morning time between 8 and 11am, I believe? That did help some. But we never had a problem with the buses at ANY bus stop over several years of trips to POR. It could be because we went the 2nd week of November or the 2nd week of December, I don't know.

My trips were in March, August, September and October and it was always the same experience at the South Depot. I remember thinking to myself, if it's like this during these months, what is it like during the really busy season LOL.

bubbles1812

Ok, so the extended family is taking a summer vacation to Disney World. My wife and I love French Quarter but my brothers family has 5 so they had to book at Riverside. We decided to also book at Riverside to be close to them. Spending time at Disney with family is going to be awesome! Tell me some things you love about Riverside to help get me excited about the resort stay!
I love Riverside, going all the way back to when it was Dixie Landings. At this point in time, I think Riverside gives myself and my family the best bang for our buck. The Value resorts are a bit too large and tacky for me and I can no longer justify the price of the Deluxe resorts, considering how little time we spend in the hotel room. Of the 10 times I've been to WDW, including the upcoming one in Dec 2019, we've stayed at Riverside 5 of those times [For your context, I've also stayed at the Poly, Y&B, Swan&Dolphin, All Star Sports, and Offsite-Universal Hard Rock]

So back to your question on why I like Riverside.... it's on the larger side for the moderate resorts but it honestly has never felt all that large to me. It's spread out enough that there isn't that feeling of overcrowding you get in the All Star Resorts. The whole resort design gives me a really comfy and homey vibe. The standard rooms are nicely decorated. The Princess Rooms are very cute. I really love the 'river' and the bridges and the plants everywhere. It's most conveniently located to DHS, Epcot, and AK but MK isn't far off [talking a 5 minute difference here]. The little ferry that takes you to Disney Springs is a really lovely ride and I'd encourage you to do it at least once. The main pool is also really great and is a good solid size as well. The large food court [by any resort standard] provides a lot of options and the bar area is also nice. The night time entertainment is generally enjoyable, if you're around for it.

I know people complain about the bus system in general and Riverside is no exception, but I've never had a problem. Sometimes we'll request to room near the West Depot but we've been in the Mansions as well and used the South Depot with no problems. Honestly, I think it's more a function of when people choose to go to the parks. We're rope drop people a lot of the time and so get up early, or we'll go after the morning rush.

I hope you have a great time! I always do.

Last edited:

Pricklypeet

Dixie Landings (what I'll always call POR) is my favorite hotel and my family has been staying there since it first opened! A large, expansive property which allows for long walks along the beautiful Sassagoula River, with a great pool and large well-themed food court. Not to mention, like others have said, home of Yee-ha Bob Jackson and easy to hop on a boat down to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs (I take the round trip ride just for the nice views along the way!)

You are going to LOVE POR!
Agreed. It will always be Dixie Landings to us as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom