Port Orleans resort

Can anyone tell me some secret maybe or unusual or fun things about the Port Orleans resort since I will be staying there with my family i wanted to know some information about it.... any personal experiences from people staying there would be fun to know as well as perks about the resort! thanks

Ang

d'Isigny

Originally posted by gtgivens
I just recently stayed in Riverside and loved it. The only thing I did not like was that being my first time at Disney World, I did not think to request a room close to the lobby, so we had to walk a long walk to the lobby. However, it was still ok (a mini-workout). Rooms were very clean and environment is very nice. It really does seem like you are in the middle of paradise. I recommend to anyone. Also, I forgot to mention that cell phone service is awful. I have Verizon and could barely get any coverage at all without going outside.

My wife and I really enjoy the walk to the food court in the morning and in the evening.

It's a moment.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I have a room booked at PO-FQ, though I may bump up to AKL (have a room reserved, just got to make the choice, and the call).

I've stayed at Riverside years ago when it was still Dixie Landings. I always thought it pleasant and (reasonably peaceful). My intention was to stay there this time as well. The WDW CM who helped me with bookings and questions told me (in a very southern Dixie-ish accent), that the Riverside is her personal favorite as well, but is in desperate need of renovations. French Quarter, on the other hand, just had renovations done winthin the past year (I actually think the past few months) and will be about as beautiful as a new and/or improved hotel gets.

If you want to trust someone "on the inside, I'd suggest switching to FQ. YOu'll still be close enough to PO-R to enjoy their amenities (go for the carriage ride if it's not too hot as to constitute animal abuse), but your accomondations, supposedly, will be nicer.

Upvote 0

iowafan

my wife &I have stayed at por several times and love the place
close to the parks and dtd .take the boat (very realaxing). the horse drawn carrage is also realy fun. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: we are going to be there dec17-22 have fun

Upvote 0

Sloan

Riverside rehab

The post by slappy magoo talks about Riverside being badly in need of a rehab (info. from a CM), but I think that's a bit hit-or-miss at this point, as they've been doing the work over time, and I think that at this point the majority of that property has been done. Last time I was there, it was just fine, with most buildings being in great condition.

The wooden bridge to the island is a great photo and/or relaxation spot, so take a walk and look around - you can also get great views of the mill's water wheel from around there.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by slappy magoo
I have a room booked at PO-FQ, though I may bump up to AKL (have a room reserved, just got to make the choice, and the call).

I've stayed at Riverside years ago when it was still Dixie Landings. I always thought it pleasant and (reasonably peaceful). My intention was to stay there this time as well. The WDW CM who helped me with bookings and questions told me (in a very southern Dixie-ish accent), that the Riverside is her personal favorite as well, but is in desperate need of renovations. French Quarter, on the other hand, just had renovations done winthin the past year (I actually think the past few months) and will be about as beautiful as a new and/or improved hotel gets.

If you want to trust someone "on the inside, I'd suggest switching to FQ. YOu'll still be close enough to PO-R to enjoy their amenities (go for the carriage ride if it's not too hot as to constitute animal abuse), but your accomondations, supposedly, will be nicer.

Having worked there for 3 weeks, being able to go and look at rooms, most rooms aren't in "desperate need of rehab".

Stay at Riverside...all of the mansions will be done by the end of August. 2 buildings are done now.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Originally posted by TURKEY
Having worked there for 3 weeks, being able to go and look at rooms, most rooms aren't in "desperate need of rehab".

Stay at Riverside...all of the mansions will be done by the end of August. 2 buildings are done now.

My family and I will be staying at POR this July 10-18th.

Is it possible to request a certain building? We stayed at Magnolia Terrace
last year and I want to stay there again.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by d'Isigny
My family and I will be staying at POR this July 10-18th.

Is it possible to request a certain building? We stayed at Magnolia Terrace
last year and I want to stay there again.

Absolutely...you can fax them something about 5 days out. I don't have the fax number though.

Also, it won't hurt to request it again or for the first time when you check in.

Upvote 0

Lilmama21

My family and I went to POR for our first WDW at the beginning of May. I second the breakfast at Boatwright's - the banana stuffed french toast is wonder-ful! The boat ride to Downtown Disney was very nice and quicker than what they say (20 mins I think? Seems like 10 at most). And it's a quick ride to French Quarters if you have kids to use the cool pool.

We stayed in Parterre Place, the building closest to the 'quiet' pool (I think room 9530?) and I thought it was a great location. Just over the bridge from the lobby/restaraunt/bus stop/boat stop/etc...minimal outside noise but we didn't spend much time in our room.

One bad thing, we gave up on wake up calls. The line was always busy (i.e. broken) so we'd have to go through a couple people to get to someone to take our wake up call and than one morning we didn't get it. Luckily we had the alarm set up as back up (course we turned it off in our sleep but whatya going to do ya know?).

Mousekeeping was nice, left us lots of extra soaps and cleaned well but never did the cool towel stuff with my daughters stuffed animals (oh well). We did tip every night.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Lilmama21

Originally posted by Becky
Yep, bus is quicker to DTD but the narrated boat ride is much nicer:) Thank you skipper Donald:animwink:

OMgosh, I love Donald! He was hilarious. My mom, daughter and I got on at DTD and it was just us 3 and him. We were casually chatting away about this and that. Than he turned once we hit Sarasota Springs, picked up the mic and started doing a spiel on it. When he was done he put the mic down turned and continued talking to us. He did this like three times. My mom and I cracked up. He was full of info about the birds too which was great. I wish I had gotten a pic with him :( Hope he's still around on our next trip!

Upvote 0

WDWScottieBoy

Two thunbs up, WAY UP for Port Orleans Riverside. As you can see, I've only stayed there from the days of Dixie Landings til Port Orleans Riverside. As they say in Birnbaum's, POR is just as nice as a Deluxe Resort but at the price of a Moderate one. I love it and would love to stay there again but my friend that works at the GF suggested to stay at Pop Century because of it being new and just to try something different. I'm sure it won't match up to POR but it will still have the same Disney Magic touch.

Enjoy your trip....oh and if you can't get building 14, get building 16. I love those two the most. Never had a problem with either and they are both close to everything: the pool, food court, lobby and the bus stop.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Absolutely...you can fax them something about 5 days out. I don't have the fax number though.

Also, it won't hurt to request it again or for the first time when you check in.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

Port Orleans French Quarter always feels like "home" to me. I stayed there about 5 different times throughout the years, and it's so small and pretty that it feels homey. I just love it, and it definitely competed with the deluxe resorts, IMO.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by Lilmama21
OMgosh, I love Donald! He was hilarious. My mom, daughter and I got on at DTD and it was just us 3 and him. We were casually chatting away about this and that. Than he turned once we hit Sarasota Springs, picked up the mic and started doing a spiel on it. When he was done he put the mic down turned and continued talking to us. He did this like three times. My mom and I cracked up. He was full of info about the birds too which was great. I wish I had gotten a pic with him :( Hope he's still around on our next trip!

Donald is still around.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Originally posted by Atta83
I am staying there for my birhtday and this feedback sounds great I am so excited. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

I love it...I can't seem to make reservations any place else.

I love walking to the food court in the morning for a coffee and danish....the beautiful foliage...walking across the bridge. And in the evening, taking that same stroll to get a lemonade or a snack. Or you can stop at the River Roost for a drink and listen to live entertainment. Don't feel like spending the money for a drink at the bar....stroll into the gift shop and you can buy items like pretzels, chips AND beer (half the cost of what you pay in the food court and lounge)

Make sure you get the refillable mugs...worth the price and i definately get my money's worth. Plus it's a nice soveneir.

I was crossing the bridge from the main pool to Magnolia Terrace one evening as the fireworks were going off... I just stood on the bridge and gazed into the sky...beautiful.

Upvote 0

Lilmama21

Donald is still around.

I hope so, we were just there beginning of May! Don't know if we'll make it back next year or not but we'll see. Luckily he has an easy name to remember if we do make it back (course I'm a wee bit forgetful, I'll probably go looking for Mickey or something). :)

Upvote 0
I'm almost glad to hear about the poor cell phone reception at Port Orleans -- it means we won't be bothered by the folks back home.

Seriously, I have cingular gsm and my wife is on Sprint PCS... will we be able to use our phones at Port Orleans French Quarter? It is handy to be able to communicate with each other when we are separated.

Upvote 0

JJHale

We absolutely love POR (aka Dixie Landings). This will be our sixth stay at Dixie Landings. We like the layout, it is uncluttered and seems more intimate than the other WDW resorts we have visited. I love walking beside the river in the morning. Making the coffee run always puts me in the right frame of mind - ready for a big day of Disney Magic!

And in the evening, nothing beats a late night snack from the bakery! :slurp:

I can't wait! :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom