Port Orleans resort

Can anyone tell me some secret maybe or unusual or fun things about the Port Orleans resort since I will be staying there with my family i wanted to know some information about it.... any personal experiences from people staying there would be fun to know as well as perks about the resort! thanks

Ang

Pippa

Hey there :wave:

I stayed there last Oct and was very impressed. The food court is gooooood!:slurp: Great pizzas and steak sandwiches.
The boat ride to DTD is nice but takes a while, its quicker by bus. They do horse drawn carriage rides in the evening around the resort. Not too far from the parks I don't think that any park was more than 20 mins on the buses.
Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Katherine

I remember staying there when i was younger and one afternoon my family and I rented paddle boats and paddled along the river for awhile. It was really fun, not sure how $$$ it was though. something to look into though if you guys will be there for awhile.

Upvote 0

Yenfid

FQ or Riverside?

If Riverside, I like staying in the Bayou in Building 14 or 15, or Magnolia Terrace.

FQ stay anywere it is small.

Bus trips to parks

Epcot is closest, then MK, then MGM, then AK. Take the boat to DTD. 20 minute ride and it is nice and relaxing.

Have fun.

You have to eat at Riversides Boatwrights. Great food and a to die for Breakfast.

The Gift shop is HUGE! at Riverside.

Upvote 0

TheDisneyQueen

Original Poster
HEY thanks for the help guys!!! I will be staying at the riverside sorry i forgot to mention that and also i am staying at the bayou building 14 that part seems pretty nice from what i have heard thanks for your help and suggestions!

Angie

Upvote 0

Laura

I stayed there on my honeymoon back in Oct 99. I really enjoyed it! I don't know any secrets though. I don't even know if it's still the same as 5 years ago.

Upvote 0

catherineturton

I stayed at the Port Orleans in July 2003 and will be going again in July 2004. We stayed at Riverside and found it to be be great. Building 14 is near to the food court but you could find that it's quite noisy. We stayed in 34 which was a ten minute walk to the food court but only two minutes to a bus stop. The transport to the parks is excellent, at the most they are 20 minutes away. The resort is really clean and staff are very helpful. The boat ride to Downtown Disney is good. The only downside are the large queues in the food court especially at breakfast time.
Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

WDWKat26

Not to bring down the post or anything, but i'm going to post my experience of Port Orleans Riverside...This is what I posted a couple weeks ago in "What's your LEAST Favorite Resort":

Anyway, my least favorite resort has to be Port Orleans Riverside. We just stayed there last month and I didn't like it at all. There wasn't a good selection of food in the morning, you paid $2 for a urine-sample-sized cup of fruit which was all ripe, the staff just didn't seem to care you were there, the ice cream guy tried to make a pass at me, and the whole layout of the hotel was confusing. Plus, our room was very dark in the morning and throughout the day so I would wake up not knowing what the weather was like or if it was even daytime. Don't say "Well you could have opened the blinds" because we couldn't due to the fact that every 2 minutes guests would be walking by, so with me getting out of the shower I think you can imagine what kind of a peep-show that would be. We couldn't get any reception in the room on our cell phones, so we were either forced to walk out of our rooms constantly and TRY to get reception out there (Which wasn't much better but still OK for making short calls) or stay in the room and pay the fees for calling long-distance family members.

I can't wait to go back to my Caribbean Beach

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion, I guess I just didn't have a good time, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions :) I hope you have fun! Oh yeah, and the reason why I was complaining about the cell phones was that I had family to talk to and my mom was expecting important calls from people about iob offers down there and interviews.

Upvote 0

Mia's Daddy

I don't have any secrets about Port Orleans, but it was the second best resort I have stayed at on Disney property. It was one of the best trips ever to WDW. Oh my first resort is WL.

Upvote 0

Becky

Loved PoR. Stayed there 5/15-22:D

Great room, great Mousekeeping:cool: Yep, bus is quicker to DTD but the narrated boat ride is much nicer:) Thank you skipper Donald:animwink:

Food court is smaller than All Stars but resort is much quiter:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

POR is my favorite mod resort (and we have stayed at them all) Last time we were there it was still Dixie Landings. Chances are we won't be back again soon, just because we are DVC members now, but you never know. Given the choice of a mod resort, it is the one I would pick.

It is lovely and romantic, good place for families, but not over run with kids. I think the food court is good, but you get the same selection all over WDW, same small cup of over ripe and over priced furit, part of the reason we really love DVC and the refridgeraters in the rooms (save a lot on food that way, and you get just what you want.)

Our least favorite of the mod resorts, it CB, the layout is poor, pool very small and over all not as magical of a feel. But maybe it just was the time we were there and that trip. (not that CB was "bad", but someone has to be the bottom of the list.)

Since having a cell phone I have found many of the rooms have poor reception, but then again my sever might have more to do with that then the resort.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

I always stay at POR and I love it.

Make sure you visit the River Roost lounge in the evening. The piano player is amazing and it's a lot of fun. Very upbeat.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by TheDisneyQueen
HEY thanks for the help guys!!! I will be staying at the riverside sorry i forgot to mention that and also i am staying at the bayou building 14 that part seems pretty nice from what i have heard thanks for your help and suggestions!

Angie

There are no guarantees to be put into Bldg. 14. You can request it, but it isn't guaranteed.

Personally from working there, I'd rather be in Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace. Both recently redone, they have a small pool by each building, bus stop near, bridge to the island and main pool and short walk back to the main building.

27 and 28 are ones I prefer for the Bayou section. Bayou buildings have no elevators (1-32 1st, 33-64 2nd). If you can't do stairs, ask for 1st floor or Magnolia Bend.

Cell Phone reception at Port Orleans is the poorest I've found in any area of WDW. The only resort that I haven't been to with a cell phone would be Coronado Springs.

Entertainment at River Roost is Wed-Sat from 8 or 8:30 pm until midnight.

Main pool is open until 8 pm right now...the smaller ones are open 24 hrs. a day with no lifeguards so swim at own risk and don't make too much noise at night.

Take the boat to FQ if you have small kids. They'll enjoy the slide there. You can do this without a problems if you are staying at Riverside.

Upvote 0

gtgivens

I just recently stayed in Riverside and loved it. The only thing I did not like was that being my first time at Disney World, I did not think to request a room close to the lobby, so we had to walk a long walk to the lobby. However, it was still ok (a mini-workout). Rooms were very clean and environment is very nice. It really does seem like you are in the middle of paradise. I recommend to anyone. Also, I forgot to mention that cell phone service is awful. I have Verizon and could barely get any coverage at all without going outside.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom