Port Orleans French Quarter

emcarle27

Original Poster
Hi all!

New here and trying to do all the research I can as I am planning late September 2021 trip with my husband. We're going a few weeks before our 1st anniversary. I'll be 29 and he'll be 33.

We don't have any children and from what I've read, French Quarter seems to be pretty quiet and one of the smaller resorts. I had looked at POP Century originally but from the reviews I've read, it can get pretty rowdy. And soon to be husband nixed that. We plan to be at the parks most of the day, so soon to be husband is looking for a quieter place in terms of resort.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on French Quarter, or any other resorts you think might be a good fit.

Meg4theMouse

In the Parks
No
I've been to WDW 4 times in my 18 years. Port Orleans French Quarters was the first time I went to WDW so I was a young kid of 7 years old and I do remember most things about the vacation and the resort. Like you said the resort is one of the smaller ones and from walking around with little legs at the time it was set up really well. The decor was like WOW even for a little kid like myself. Even though you said in your post you will be spending most of your time in the parks which is cool you should definitely check out the pool and the serpent slide which is awesome. For a 7 year old kid and my older sister it made the resort for me and her and I also saw many adults going down the slide as well and having a blast including my mom and dad. Even though I have not been to this resort in quite awhile, I would highly recommend it. Also congrats of getting married.

ppet

POFQ is our go to resort. Scat Cat makes a good place to relax and have a drink in the evening. The grounds are nice with a decent pool and the layout is great. No long walks to get to the front. Some people complain about the lack of a set down restaurant, but my wife and I just catch a boat down to Disney Springs where there are plenty of places to eat. We've stayed there for our anniversary a couple of times and had a blast.

We have visited the resort several times but have only stayed at the Riverside part a few times. We always make it a point to walk over to POFQ when there because it is beautiful, it has always been fairly quiet when we have stopped by.

belledream

Stayed at POFQ last September after staying in Values for many times before that. The buses were not crowded in the mornings or afternoons, and the grounds were also pretty quiet. Most noticeable to me was the difference in ambiance. It definitely felt a bit more upscale than what we were used to... I think it'd be a lovely place for a honeymoon! Lots of nice foliage, fountains, and colorful in a different sort of way. Food court has some more interesting options, the beignets lived up to the hype, and the walk along Sassagoula River was always beautiful, peaceful, and deserted, and we walked over to Riverside and boated to Disney Springs a few times for food and shopping.

Minnesota disney fan

We love POFQ! for all the above reasons:)
It is an easy walk to POR, which is a beautiful resort too. It used to be our home resort before mobility issues for us both. That's why we changed to POFQ. There are a good number of people with mobility issues at this resort, at least when we were there. If there are a couple of ECV's at the bus stop, there can be a wait. Only one bus stop is nice, but can get crowded going to MK or HS first thing in the AM with long lines.
We go to POR to eat in their food court, the Mill, for there bigger selection.
I think POR would be more romantic of a setting. It has the Mansion section which is beautiful with green manicured lawns, flowers, and a gazebo. They also have their movies on the lawn there.
The Alligator Bayou section is our favorite with it's tropical setting, winding pathways. There are also quiet pools in each section which are never crowded, IMO. It is a great place to chill and relax without the crowds at the main pool.
You might want to go on a carriage ride, which is so relaxing and romantic:) You have to reserve it and pay for it before your trip to be able to ride one. It leaves from POR and goes 2 different ways. One takes you through POFQ and the other one takes you along the Mansion section. We have done both and love the quiet fun ride. It is reasonably priced too.
From either resort, you can take a boat to DS for a relaxing quiet ride along the river. The places to eat in DS are superior, IMO. We always take the boat to DS at least 2 or 3 times while at POFQ.
Whichever one you choose, you will love them. I would check out POR before making your decision. If we didn't have mobility issues, we would never have left POR. It's laid back theme suited us. POFQ has more of a Mardi Gras theming, which I don't really care for. Just another viewpoint.

JIMINYCR

We are long time FOFQ lovers. As you have read from others the resort is smaller and quieter than many others. We have had stays where there have been kids running amuk when there have been seasonal group events taking place, so it isnt always kid free, but most of the time you can count on a quieter experience. It had easier bus transportation. Sometimes the route is shared with POR. It is fairly centrally located so travel time everywhere is convenient. Boat access to DS is fun to take a leisurely ride and adds to the resort amenities. The rooms have been redone recently, weve had good Mousekeeping and enjoy the stays. Despite not having a sit down restaurant or as large a food court or gift shop, the walking path to POR only takes about 10 minutes to walk and you are free to visit. There is only one small hot tub so sometimes that gets filled quickly. Walking around the property at night is enjoyable and relaxing. Weve consistently had great CM interactions from all the resort staff.

stratman50th

We've stayed at French Quarter approx. 10 times over the years and it's probably our favorite. In a nutshell, it's small so access to everything is great. Food court, pool, bus stop and marina to DS all within a quick and easy walking distance.

stratman50th

If you care to look, or just want to get your nostalgia on, I've posted a whole series of French Quarter pictures in the resort photos thread. For what it's worth, there's a lot of talented photographers that have posted in there worth looking at.
French Quarter starts here. There are other resorts mixed in so keep browsing through.

MissViv

I stayed at FQ early March of this year for the first time and really liked it. I usually stay at a deluxe but needed to save money this time and it was very nice. Compact and quiet. We took the boat to DS and it was really pretty and peaceful. Food was good in the food court. Bus service was good, only had to wait a few mintues.

I would stay there again and may on my next trip in October. Looking at prices and POFQ is much cheaper than a deluxe with no discounts for October.

John park hopper

I stayed at FQ early March of this year for the first time and really liked it. I usually stay at a deluxe but needed to save money this time and it was very nice. Compact and quiet. We took the boat to DS and it was really pretty and peaceful. Food was good in the food court. Bus service was good, only had to wait a few mintues.

I would stay there again and may on my next trip in October. Looking at prices and POFQ is much cheaper than a deluxe with no discounts for October.
Yea, I hate to tell how great POFQ is the more people know about it the harder it will be to get reservations. My granddaughters loved the pools

monykalyn

Have stayed at all levels and most resorts over the years. Never got the love for POFQ- until we stayed there this past January. Yep a convert now. Probably the best resort as far as busses and loved the boat to Disney Springs. This was an adults only trip so we ended most nights at the Springs. We love to stay at different resorts but this one and AKL are the two I want to repeat.
we had a corner room that faced a courtyard-quiet and so pretty!

TPSou

Me and my wife first went when we were 30 (a childless couple on honeymoon) and we stayed at French Quarter and absolutely loved it. Now it's our default choice for WDW holidays. The transport links are great, it's beautiful, walking up to PORS is lovely in the evening, the boats to Disney Springs are a fun thing to do in themselves and the staff have never been less than great. On our last visit Summer 2019 they had refurbished the rooms too so they were much nicer than they used to be (which wasn't bad at all).

emcarle27

Original Poster
If you care to look, or just want to get your nostalgia on, I've posted a whole series of French Quarter pictures in the resort photos thread. For what it's worth, there's a lot of talented photographers that have posted in there worth looking at.
French Quarter starts here. There are other resorts mixed in so keep browsing through.

Thanks for sharing these! Contemplating POFQ for our adult trip next fall and the pictures look great!

aliceismad

POFQ is great, but if you're looking for quiet I would ask for a room away from the pool area.

Also just FYI, TouringPlans has a great tool where you can see the layouts of the building and which kind of rooms are where and views from different rooms.

LF85

Hi all!

New here and trying to do all the research I can as I am planning late September 2021 trip with my husband. We're going a few weeks before our 1st anniversary. I'll be 29 and he'll be 33.

We don't have any children and from what I've read, French Quarter seems to be pretty quiet and one of the smaller resorts. I had looked at POP Century originally but from the reviews I've read, it can get pretty rowdy. And soon to be husband nixed that. We plan to be at the parks most of the day, so soon to be husband is looking for a quieter place in terms of resort.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on French Quarter, or any other resorts you think might be a good fit.

The French quarter is an awesome resort. It is beautiful and very peaceful. We have stayed there about 10 times and have never had any issues.

HoneyBee1991

I think french quarter is exactly what you are looking for. We stayed here in 2018 during our honeymoon (before we had offspring) and loved it. We also stayed at Pop and Animal kingdom lodge on that trip.

I think POFQ was the calmest of the resorts we stayed at. I only saw kids when we were at the pool and the food quart and they were all well behaved and never obnoxious. There seemed to be more adults at this resort then any others we have stayed at.

The hotel room is the same as the value resorts so it can feel overpriced in that aspect. But it totally makes up for it with the laid back feel of the resort, the food is awesome (we are big beignet fans), and we love Disney Springs and the boat rides to and from the springs from POFQ was a lot of fun (we thought it was relaxing and romantic as well).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom