Port Orleans French Quarter Pool Construction

DisneyJeff

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Last December there was work being done on the pool area of POFQ Resort. I was wondering if the construction had completed and what the results looked like. Anyone have any information?

J_Krafty24

As of last week there was still lots of construction. They appear to be installing a nifty little water park style splash zone. The pool and waterslide was open as of last week.

surfsupdon

So Riverside has a closed feature pool.
And the pool we are told to use has construction noise and sights?
Great.
Managers at Port Orleans need to learn a thing or two from the other Resorts as it relates to accommodating Guests with Pool Closures.

Might mean nothing to you- but I am an avid pool user for sun and swim.

MissingDisney

Great.
Managers at Port Orleans need to learn a thing or two from the other Resorts as it relates to accommodating Guests with Pool Closures.

While frustrating, I'm pretty sure the managers didn't schedule the pool upgrades/construction.

jaklgreen

Great.

You can still use the pool, so what if there is a fence in one area. You can sit in a different area. Everybody wants new and improved but complain when it is happening.

RonAnnArbor

You are also going to find that this winter has not been much of a "sit by the pool" kind of winter -- its chilly during the day and very very cold in the 40's at night.

surfsupdon

You are also going to find that this winter has not been much of a "sit by the pool" kind of winter -- its chilly during the day and very very cold in the 40's at night.

I was at the pool everyday for an hour or three. The quiet pool at Acadian House had construction tarps and noise right next door on Magnolia....and the shuttle to FQ brought with it a much smaller pool deck up river because of the walled off postions of pool deck, and not enough chairs to go around.

The walk was not far to FQ, I was happy about that. But the current pool situation at PO was pretty poor, in my opinion.

surfsupdon

You can still use the pool, so what if there is a fence in one area. You can sit in a different area. Everybody wants new and improved but complain when it is happening.
I was not complaining about it happening, but complaining about it happening all at once. The scheduling. Stagger the jobs. Riverside had its main pool down and Acadian quiet pool was filled with construction and tarping. Head over to the alternate location, and FQ has a partially closed pool deck and construction noise.

Just stagger the jobs!

PrincessNelly_NJ

I was not complaining about it happening, but complaining about it happening all at once. The scheduling. Stagger the jobs. Riverside had its main pool down and Acadian quiet pool was filled with construction and tarping. Head over to the alternate location, and FQ has a partially closed pool deck and construction noise.

Just stagger the jobs!
I think this is just a come sense move... having the work done in the winter months when guest are much less likely to be using the pool is a much better option that doing this when the weather is warmer.

wannabeBelle

Great.

You have no idea how often I have said this about any number of projects that are going on right now. Stagger the projects to not have things down at the same time would seem to make sense to me. Marie

cococola44

I can understand them wanting to or needing to change things up in the cooler months! I am just excited to see it all when ti is done. We loved staying there last year!

surfsupdon

You have no idea how often I have said this about any number of projects that are going on right now. Stagger the projects to not have things down at the same time would seem to make sense to me. Marie

Marie, we made it work but it was excessive. Fortunately we head to WDW often enough, but if we did not, we would have had a legit complaint.

Riverside main pool (and Ol Man Island) is completely closed (pool, slide, hot tub, pool bar).
Acadian House quiet pool suffers from construction tarps, equipment, and sounds from Magnolia House refurb directly adjacent.
French Quarter pool has construction walls, noise, equipment. Also, partial pool deck closure so not enough chairs are available for demand.

Additionally with Ol Man Island closed, you have a much longer walk to Riverside Mill from Acadian. Much longer.

Riverside informed us of the closures....but within 60 days of arrival. Because it was a race weekend, there was no availability (except for AKL Suites). So we could not even change Resorts if we wanted. Inform us earlier so we have the ability to CHANGE RESORTS! Bleh Managers!!

wannabeBelle

Marie, we made it work but it was excessive. Fortunately we head to WDW often enough, but if we did not, we would have had a legit complaint.

Riverside main pool (and Ol Man Island) is completely closed (pool, slide, hot tub, pool bar).
Acadian House quiet pool suffers from construction tarps, equipment, and sounds from Magnolia House refurb directly adjacent.
French Quarter pool has construction walls, noise, equipment. Also, partial pool deck closure so not enough chairs are available for demand.

Additionally with Ol Man Island closed, you have a much longer walk to Riverside Mill from Acadian. Much longer.

Riverside informed us of the closures....but within 60 days of arrival. Because it was a race weekend, there was no availability (except for AKL Suites). So we could not even change Resorts if we wanted. Inform us earlier so we have the ability to CHANGE RESORTS! Bleh Managers!!
Agreed. I understand that you do only have a smaller window of time due to the colder weather to do this kind of construction, but if I was working on a main pool in a resort that has quiet pools as well, none of the quiet pools should be closed during that time frame. In addition for specifically Riverside/French Quarter, if one Main pool is down, the other should not be down as well. Again not neglecting any of the items, but scheduling them better. This would help with the ability to know this stuff ahead of time so that guests are advised appropriately and can make the best decision for them, in terms of moving trip dates, selecting a different resort etc. Marie

MissingDisney

Again, the MANAGERS of these resorts have nothing to do with scheduling refurbs or pool closures however they unfortunately endure the wrath of unhappy guests thinking that they are and blaming them for everything. It's like yelling at the Target store manager that they close early on Sundays or the drive thru window cashier at McDonald's when they discontinued your beloved McRib sandwich. Not their call.

surfsupdon

Again, the MANAGERS of these resorts have nothing to do with scheduling refurbs or pool closures however they unfortunately endure the wrath of unhappy guests thinking that they are and blaming them for everything. It's like yelling at the Target store manager that they close early on Sundays or the drive thru window cashier at McDonald's when they discontinued your beloved McRib sandwich. Not their call.

But the manager can set something else up, if I am not mistaken.

When BoardWalk pool is closed, the Manager arranges a shuttle to Stormalong Bay.

When Poly pool was closed, each Guest received a water park ticket.

With so many pools closed/under refurb at Riverside at that one time, the manager could have arranged something else. But they instead left poor offerings for their Guests.

Just a customer service thought.

Thebolt

Port Orleans is a pair of moderates that has 7 pools, two of which are feature pools. The Poly and the Boardwalk are both Deluxe resorts with 2 pools each, one of which is a feature pool at each hotel. That isn't a like for like situation.

It appears that the work on FQs feature pool has had issues, so it has over-run into the feature pool closure at Riverside. If it had gone as planned, there doesn't appear to have been an overlap planned.

The fact is it remains less disruptive overall to start Riverside's work on schedule; rather than letting that slip as well.

I don't think most guests will be too upset by this situation at this time of year. If this unexpected situation was tarnishing your experience, it is important that you go and discuss it with the hotel management whilst you are there. If you don't give them an opportunity to address the situation, you can only walk away with a negative memory. You could argue the case for getting a couple of freebie water park tickets or a similar gesture, but Disney need to know you feel disappointed to address your issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom