Port in Nassau???

QueenOfHearts83

Original Poster
I see so many posts and blogs about Castaway Cay and all the excursions and things to do. But I never see anything about the port in Nassau. Does anyone know of any excursions or anything that would be cool to do?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I see so many posts and blogs about Castaway Cay and all the excursions and things to do. But I never see anything about the port in Nassau. Does anyone know of any excursions or anything that would be cool to do?

The big ones are atlantis things...

We enjoyed the Blue Lagoon ones.. including the dolphin swim and the sea lion one gets good praise too.

You can view Disney's list of excursions on the DCL website

belledream

If you're interested in snorkeling during your cruise, Nassau is probably the better place to do it. Disney lists a few catamaran excursions that would seem like fun if you want to go in that direction as opposed to Atlantis/shopping. I only say this because snorkeling isn't really a thing Castaway Cay.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If you're interested in snorkeling during your cruise, Nassau is probably the better place to do it. Disney lists a few catamaran excursions that would seem like fun if you want to go in that direction as opposed to Atlantis/shopping. I only say this because snorkeling isn't really a thing Castaway Cay.
Actually, my wife (who is a scuba diver as well) did the snorkeling route at Castaway Cay and was quite happy with it. My sons and I were busy on the waterslides.

belledream

Of course. You'll be there from ~8-4 in broad daylight in a tourist hotspot. Just use common sense and street smarts as you would anywhere else. Be firm but respectful to people who may try to pressure you to buy something. I would definitely study maps or have some sort of plan in case so you're not totally lost. You can always go back to the ship. :)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Is it safe to just walk around?

Yes. There is even a beach (Junkanoo Beach) you can walk to very close to the pier. It isn't the most picturesque, but it is a decent beach. It has little bars and restaurants lining it so you can get some Bahamian food and beer as well. No charge for the beach.

Around town near the pier is a lot of shopping, some of it quite nice, but nothing that really stood out for me. Also waling distance are some historical sites (A couple of Forts for example). A bit further, but still walkable (I know because I did it), is Ardastra Gardens and Zoological Park, which is a nice diversion for an hour or two, particularly with kids. If you want to go there, don't book an excursion off the ship. Walk or take a cab (or take a cab one way and walk the other) and just pay the admission price. Way cheaper.

On our last stop in Nassau (been there about 6 times already), we took a cab to Ardastra, walked back to downtown stopping at Fort Charlotte and Junkanoo Beach, and looked for a couple of geocaches (my son is into it) in the shopping area. Inexpensive and relaxing. Atlantis is gorgeous, but the prices for the tours there are outrageous, IMHO.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Great info. Thanks!
I was hoping to stay on board while at Nassau, but I may get out voted as this will be our first cruise ever. I wanted to get my "island fix" entirely from CC.
If you've never been to Nassau, you should at least get off the ship and walk around a bit. Castaway Cay is an island, of course, but you don't exactly get a taste (or sight, or view, or smell, or sound) of anything Bahamian there.

ChuckElias

If you've never been to Nassau, you should at least get off the ship and walk around a bit. Castaway Cay is an island, of course, but you don't exactly get a taste (or sight, or view, or smell, or sound) of anything Bahamian there.
On the contrary, my wife always enjoys a taste of the Bahama Mama while on Castaway Cay!

Phonedave

I realy liked the Blue Lagoon excursions. The Stingray excursion - not so much. The excursion was fine, but they held you "hostage" on their island after it was over, and you had to wait forever for the (late) afternoon launch back. Blue Lagoon had launches leaving every hour.

You can walk around Nassau and you will be safe, just like you can walk around NYC and be safe. Just be smart, keep your valuable in a front pocket, be aware of scams (if a deal sounds to good to be true, it most likely is), and don't let hawkers pressure you into buying things.

-dave

FlyTriPacer

We've been twice and enjoyed our "cheap" excursions and will probably get off again if we ever stop there again. My wife and I did the Ardastra Gardens in 2011 and the entire family did the semi-submersible sight-seeing this past August. I enjoyed Ardastra Gardens enough to do it again...

There are free things and "cheap" things to do that are enjoyable. Have a great cruise!

Chad

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom