Port arrival times

kasey1988

Original Poster
Just did our online check in (yay!) for our September 18th cruise, I was asked to select a port arrival time, but am using disney tranportation from AKL to the port, I a, unsure of what to select?

Disneyfalcon

If you were on transfers from the airport and wanted to go early I would pick early so you'll get a lower boarding number. From WDW however, by the time you arrive they should be in open boarding and your boarding number won't matter.

So do what Kelly said, pick anything! Maybe even a later time to save the early ones for people that are scrambling to get one. :)

DVC4bestvacations

on our first two Disney cruises we stressed about getting a low boarding number. Last time we used the DCL transportation from AKL to the port. We arrived late in the process and were able to go right on board. I liked that much more than sitting in the terminal for an hour or more waiting for our number to be called.

tk924

With us being very excited, first time cruisers I chose the earliest port arrival time (10:30a - 10:45a).
What's the earliest that we can expect to board?

DISNEY FANTASY

Different home ports different cruises have different embarkation times, and a ship just needs to come in a few minutes late for a domino effect to cascade.

Port Canaveral was on at 11.15 most times boarding card 1, Bsrcelona was 11.40 Bosrding card one, Chuck beat me by a second in Vancouver.

jaklgreen

What was strange is we used Disney transportation from the airport our last trip and they still gave us a very high boarding number. It was the last group. So I said something to one of the cast members who are in charge of the boarding and he thought that was crazy and he just let us board with the first group.

Disneyfalcon

What was strange is we used Disney transportation from the airport our last trip and they still gave us a very high boarding number. It was the last group. So I said something to one of the cast members who are in charge of the boarding and he thought that was crazy and he just let us board with the first group.

Assuming you are talking about a recent cruise, the boarding number is tied to the port arrival time you pick during the online check-in process. So if you pick a late arrival time (or didn't pick one), you get a high boarding number. :)

jaklgreen

Assuming you are talking about a recent cruise, the boarding number is tied to the port arrival time you pick during the online check-in process. So if you pick a late arrival time (or didn't pick one), you get a high boarding number. :)

I understand that but for us, we were told that since we were using Disney transportation not to bother with a port arrival time since we had no idea what time we would arrive. So they gave us a late boarding time when we got there. But they brought us very early and then expected us to wait there hours to board. That just does not make sense at all. If we are using there transportation and have no control over our arrival time then our boarding number should reflect what time we arrive at the port not some random time you pick online.

ChuckElias

I understand that but for us, we were told that since we were using Disney transportation not to bother with a port arrival time since we had no idea what time we would arrive. So they gave us a late boarding time when we got there. But they brought us very early and then expected us to wait there hours to board.
I've never personally used the Disney transportation for Port Canaveral. So I can't tell you if your experience is the "norm". But if you expect to use the DCL bus next time, my recommendation would be to simply pick the earliest arrival time that you can get. If you get there in time to get aboard early, great. If you get there after your arrival time, you haven't really lost anything.

Disneyfalcon

I understand that but for us, we were told that since we were using Disney transportation not to bother with a port arrival time since we had no idea what time we would arrive. So they gave us a late boarding time when we got there. But they brought us very early and then expected us to wait there hours to board. That just does not make sense at all. If we are using there transportation and have no control over our arrival time then our boarding number should reflect what time we arrive at the port not some random time you pick online.

Gotcha. People on Disney transfers didn't used to have to worry about those times at all and were told that. When they changed the way it worked, not everyone got the message. For people transferring from the resorts their arrival time won't really matter because they generally won't get there until open boarding (where boarding numbers have already been called) has begun. If you're transferring from the airport you could get there really early if you board an early bus so those boarding numbers will make a big difference.

dumboflyer

Us too! We actually hired a private transfer in February for about $20 more per person than waiting around for the DCL transfers. It was worth it to us to get there as early as possible. I think we ended up with boarding group 3 or 4.

On our last cruise, we used DCL transportation for the first time (our 9th DCL cruise). It will be the last time. It was VERY expensive and very inefficient. For our group of 13 we are going back to private transport. It's about half the price and we pick when to go.

For anyone using private transport, strongly encourage you to read up on companies. We've used 4-5 different ones, and their quality has varied widely (driver safety/courtesy, punctuality, safety seats for children, etc). Best one we've used is Cocoa Beach Shuttle Co.

kasey1988

Original Poster
We enjoyed our disney transfers that we used last week. 23 left the animal kingdom lodge by 10:45am (2 other stops after) and were on board and eating lunch by 12:30!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom