Popular Ice Cream Chain Ample Hills Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

UNCgolf

Respect your opinion, but I completely disagree. It’s still a fun spot to hit, and and people are drawn there for the kitchen sink experience alone. As for your claim that Disney didn’t understand the reason it was a popular spot, I’ll bet you a nickel the place is still always packed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still packed either because there's nowhere else to get ice cream in the area unless you go inside EPCOT (now that Ample Hills is closed) and WDW attendance is so high year round.

It's just a generic restaurant now. It has no theme. The interior look and the small, intimate setting was the reason it was originally popular.

Bocabear

It is still always packed....Shame they ruined the feel of it when they expanded... It is always shocking to me that the leader in the world of themed entertainment continues to miss the mark so spectacularly.

JusticeDisney

It is still always packed....Shame they ruined the feel of it when they expanded... It is always shocking to me that the leader in the world of themed entertainment continues to miss the mark so spectacularly.
Given that the place is still always packed, maybe they didn’t ruin the feel of it after all?

UNCgolf

Given that the place is still always packed, maybe they didn’t ruin the feel of it after all?

I'm not sure that follows. It's in a location with a ton of guests (3 hotels, or 5 if you count Swan and Dolphin -- I know those hotels aren't all open right now, but the DVC is so there are still plenty of people there) that don't really have any other quick options for ice cream and burgers without entering one of the theme parks.

I think at this point Disney could throw up a restaurant with blank walls and tables/chairs bought from Wal-Mart and the place would be packed because they just don't have enough capacity. Which is probably part of the reason they've stopped caring so much about interesting theming. Places are busy without it, so why bother spending the money?

lazyboy97o

I think at this point Disney could throw up a restaurant with blank walls and tables/chairs bought from Wal-Mart and the place would be packed because they just don't have enough capacity. Which is probably part of the reason they've stopped caring so much about interesting theming. Places are busy without it, so why bother spending the money?
It also helps that people would be saying it is “Gorgeous 😍😍😍

Bocabear

I'm not sure that follows. It's in a location with a ton of guests (3 hotels, or 5 if you count Swan and Dolphin -- I know those hotels aren't all open right now, but the DVC is so there are still plenty of people there) that don't really have any other quick options for ice cream and burgers without entering one of the theme parks.

Why Bother? Because they are the World Leaders in Themed Entertainment...It should be a matter of course for this company...

UNCgolf

Why Bother? Because they are the World Leaders in Themed Entertainment...It should be a matter of course for this company...

I agree with you completely. I'm not saying that's my thought; I'm saying that's how current leadership thinks.

JusticeDisney

Everything you’ve said is 100% possible. But what’s also possible is that Disney didn’t actually ruin anything with the renovations, notwithstanding the fact that a few people in this thread think that they did.

UNCgolf

Everything you’ve said is 100% possible. But what’s also possible is that Disney didn’t actually ruin anything with the renovations, notwithstanding the fact that a few people in this thread think that they did.

It's more than just a few people on this thread -- you're one the only people I've seen anywhere that thinks the new look isn't significantly worse than the old. The only reason I even found out about the change was from seeing so many complaints about it scattered around. What I suggested is far more likely than anything else, along with the fact that a lot of people simply don't care about theme. It's just background clutter that doesn't interest them.

To clarify, though, I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it. I just have a hard time understanding how anyone can look at it and not think they stripped away basically any hint of theming, regardless of personal opinion regarding how much that matters.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

It's more than just a few people on this thread -- you're one of two people I've seen anywhere that thinks the new look isn't significantly worse than the old and that they didn't strip away all character from the interior.

What I suggested is far more likely than anything else, along with the fact that a lot of people simply don't care about theme. They just want to ride rides and everything else is background clutter that doesn't matter to them.
Is that a scientific poll that you’ve taken, lol?

All kidding aside, what you’ve suggested isn’t necessarily “far more likely.” Indeed, what I’d say is far more likely is that most of the people who continue to pack the place on a regular basis simply go their with their families, enjoy the food and ice cream, and have some fun during their vacation, without getting carried away or obsessed with any perceived lack of theming.

UNCgolf

Is that a scientific poll that you’ve taken, lol?

All kidding aside, what you’ve suggested isn’t necessarily “far more likely.” Indeed, what I’d say is far more likely is that most of the people who continue to pack the place on a regular basis simply go their with their families, enjoy the food and ice cream, and have some fun during their vacation, without getting carried away or obsessed with any perceived lack of theming.

That's exactly what I said? That sounds like you're agreeing with me.

A lot of people don't care about theme, so the fact that it was removed doesn't matter to them. That's not how Disney became the theme park leader, though. Theme was what differentiated them from other parks. There are probably enough people who don't care about theme that Disney can keep stripping it away and do just fine, but they'll lose plenty of customers (like me) who do care. There are too many other interesting places to go to waste time at WDW if it's no longer going to be somewhere uniquely detailed. And no, I'm not saying this change alone means that, but it's just another example of something that's been happening for years.

Personally I don't think the food or ice cream at Beaches & Cream is good at all, so there's no real reason for me to go there now. Also, again, I'm not saying there's something wrong with you for not caring about that stuff. If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter. But it definitely does matter to some people.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

That's exactly what I said? That sounds like you're agreeing with me.

A lot of people don't care about theme, so the fact that it was removed doesn't matter to them. That's not how Disney became the theme park leader, though. Theme was what differentiated them from other parks. There are probably enough people who don't care about theme that Disney can keep stripping it away and do just fine, but they'll lose plenty of customers (like me) who do care. There are too many other interesting places to go to waste time at WDW if it's no longer going to be somewhere uniquely detailed. And no, I'm not saying this change alone means that, but it's just another part of something that's been happening for years.

The food and ice cream is not good there, though.
No, we are not at all saying the same thing and I’m definitely not agreeing with you. You said that the renovations ruined the place because it now lacks theming. I, on the other hand, am saying that the renovations in no way ruined the place and that the theming remains just fine from my perspective. And I’m also saying that your speculation that the people who pack the place must simply not care about theming isn’t necessarily correct. It may just be that, like me, they don’t share your mere opinion that the renovations ruined the theme.

UNCgolf

No, we are not at all saying the same thing and I’m definitely not agreeing with you. You said that the renovations ruined the place because it now lacks theming. I, on the other hand, am saying that the renovations in no way ruined the place and that the theming remains just fine from my perspective. And I’m also saying that your speculation that the people who pack the place must simply not care about theming isn’t necessarily correct. It may just be that, like me, they don’t share your mere opinion that the renovations ruined the theme.

Well you specifically said you thought people packed it without caring about a lack of theming.

I'm curious, though. What do you think the theme is now? How is it any different than any number of random restaurants you can find all around the country? I don't see how there's anything themed about it when I can walk into places here in Atlanta that look almost exactly the same except for the color scheme.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Well you specifically said you thought people packed it without caring about a lack of theming.

I'm curious, though. What do you think the theme is now? How is it any different than any number of random restaurants you can find all around the country? I don't see how there's anything themed about it when I can walk into places here in Atlanta that look almost exactly the same except for the color scheme.
Actually, I didn’t say that. I said a “perceived” lack of theming.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the pre-renovation place. I just don’t happen to think that the renovations ruined everything. Obviously you do, and that’s totally your prerogative, which I respect.

JusticeDisney

So it is not ruined, just worse? Is that a truly meaningful difference?
Yes, there’s a huge difference. For example, I like both versions of Soarin, but I definitely prefer the original version. It’s possible for one version of something to be “worse” than the other, without it also being terrible.

UNCgolf

Actually, I didn’t say that. I said a “perceived” lack of theming.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the pre-renovation place. I just don’t happen to think that the renovations ruined everything. Obviously you do, and that’s totally your prerogative, which I respect.

Sure, and I was never suggesting that you're wrong for liking the current version. It's all opinion.

I still don't see any kind of theme whatsoever for what's there now, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom