Popular Ice Cream Chain Ample Hills Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

TrainsOfDisney

Wasn't the original ice cream shoppe they replaced an "in house" Disney Shoppe?

Yes. Seashore Sweets was the name. It sold ice cream along with candy, soft drinks, etc. I used to go in there all the time for a free cup of water when I spent the nights watching the late Brian Staron and other “buskers” perform.

Seashore Sweets was where AbracadaBAR is now.

Prince-1

Yes. Seashore Sweets was the name. It sold ice cream along with candy, soft drinks, etc. I used to go in there all the time for a free cup of water when I spent the nights watching the late Brian Staron and other “buskers” perform.

Seashore Sweets was where AbracadaBAR is now.

All this correct but Ample Hills did not replace Seashore Sweets. Two different locations.

Mark Dunne

I haven't said anything until this announcement, but I understand next to nothing has happened inside at Disney Springs, so we'll see.
i do hope this doesn't close, best mint choc milkshake my wife and i ever had, sad to see, really sad, poor people losing jobs all over the world,

MickeyMouse10

It really is too bad that they're closing. Perhaps Disney will make their own place like they did with D-luxe, rather than bringing in another company. This way they know it won't close because of Covid or some other end of the world situation (giant waves, sharknados, godzilla).

Last edited:

Lilofan

Sorry to see this. Hope they repopulate the Boardwalk area soon. It used to be a hidden gem on property.
I like visiting the Boardwalk area. Unique shops like Ample Hills but my favorite was the Greek dining place Kouzinna by celebrity chef Kat Kora when that was there.

Club Cooloholic

Companies too often expand too fast, and make deals they shouldn't. I can only imagine what the rent on that space must have cost them, but the idea of being able to sell right in WDW probably was too much temptation.

TrainsOfDisney

Companies too often expand too fast, and make deals they shouldn't. I can only imagine what the rent on that space must have cost them, but the idea of being able to sell right in WDW probably was too much temptation.

The Disney deal had nothing to do with their bankruptcy.... I’m starting to question if people actually know how to read.

Club Cooloholic

The Disney deal had nothing to do with their bankruptcy.... I’m starting to question if people actually know how to read.
Whoa with the harshness! I read the article, not their whole bankruptcy filing. Can you tell me unequivocally that Disney had nothing to do with their bankruptcy? They mentioned a few detrimental issues, but zero specifics.
Anyway sounds like somebody needs a snack :)
Post Edit: If you need your Ample fix for said snack, head to NY, where they still are operating them

Last edited:

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Very sad to see it close. I missed the Boardwalk so bad last month that I had Ample Hills shipped to my house. Hopefully they can fill the vacancy with something similar.

TrainsOfDisney

Whoa with the harshness! I read the article, not their whole bankruptcy filing. Can you tell me unequivocally that Disney had nothing to do with their bankruptcy? They mentioned a few detrimental issues, but zero specifics.
Anyway sounds like somebody needs a snack :)
Post Edit: If you need your Ample fix for said snack, head to NY, where they still are operating them

I like the suggestion but I prefer Salt & Straw (the west coast - downtown Disney “fancy ice cream shop”). I almost did a mail order for my birthday last month but the flavor menu is pretty small right now because of the virus so I talked myself out of it.

Club Cooloholic

I like the suggestion but I prefer Salt & Straw (the west coast - downtown Disney “fancy ice cream shop”). I almost did a mail order for my birthday last month but the flavor menu is pretty small right now because of the virus so I talked myself out of it.
I am lactose intolerant, swear to goodness, but sometimes, much to the chagrin of my wife, I will still indulge. I am bummed because we planned to stay at Boardwalk in November, and I am doubting anything will be in the space by then.

NelleBelle

LOVE Salt & Straw and so happy that they've got locations in Seattle now! Would love to keep them just at DLR and put another boutique ice cream shoppe in at WDW though 🍦

Epcot82Guy

It is quite sad. I walked by it last weekend when covered up - and it hit home. I secretly was hoping Disney would buy out the brand to keep it going (wishful thinking - I know).

I do hope they find a suitable replacement. Jeni's would be ok. Salt and Straw has amazing reviewed. They could also go with Kelly's here in Orlando if they wanted something more local.

UNCgolf

I would like a return of something like the sweet shop that used to be there, which fit the Boardwalk theme much better than Ample Hills. Ice cream, milkshakes, floats, and candy. Ample Hills had good ice cream (although Vivoli Il Gelato at Disney Springs is vastly superior), but it just felt like a random ice cream shop rather than something that fit the Boardwalk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom