Popping the news to kids

Songbird76

Original Poster
So when my family planned our vacation, we priced tickets and resorts and dining plans and everything under the sun. We decided we could afford 5 days at a value resort without a dining plan. But then I was reading a Disney travel blog and there was a post about the various discounts and deals offered and it mentioned that international guests get better deals. So I went in search and found a killer deal that will let us stay for 10 days at a moderate resort for just slightly more than 5 days at a value, because it offers free dining, ultimate 14 day tickets for the price of 7, etc. So we booked our 10 day stay today. The kids know we are going to Disney, but they think we're going for 5 days. We want to surprise them with the extra time as a Christmas present. So I'd like some creative ways to tell kids...something fun and exciting.

wdwjmp239

International guests get better deals? That's interesting to hear. The only "deals" we get are if we live in Florida (which I do) and we can put our annual passes on a monthly finance plan (get a clean credit card, low limit, and pay it off monthly - does wonders for the credit score). With that pass, we can get 10% off merchandise. During the summer, we are inundated with special Florida resident "deals" at select resorts (usually the value resorts). I'm wondering why Disney doesn't slide those better deals to those of us living on the other side of the pond.

Enjoy your trip! Your kids are going to have a great time! :)

wdwjmp239

I wouldn't say a word until it was check out day and then say you know I guess will just stay longer.

To make the "last day" more dramatic - start packing (not everything) just to give the kids the sense that you're leaving. Then, drop the extended stay secret on them. Watch their jaws drop! LOL!

Luxe

I would hold onto the news until the final day. Make them think that it's their last day, ask them what they want to do for their LAST ride etc etc. You could buy a little character toy and leave it on their beds so when you guys get back from your "last day at the parks" they find the toy with a note inviting them to stay for another 5 days! If my parents ever did that for me as a kid I would be forever grateful. Don't forget to have the video camera out to film their reactions!

Songbird76

Original Poster
International guests get better deals? That's interesting to hear. The only "deals" we get are if we live in Florida (which I do) and we can put our annual passes on a monthly finance plan (get a clean credit card, low limit, and pay it off monthly - does wonders for the credit score). With that pass, we can get 10% off merchandise. During the summer, we are inundated with special Florida resident "deals" at select resorts (usually the value resorts). I'm wondering why Disney doesn't slide those better deals to those of us living on the other side of the pond.

Well, there are the standard discounts every year like free dining, or the room only discounts, but they are generally for the off-season and then you can't get combination deals. The deal I got is for next July (well, for march through September I think) and it was Free Quick-service dining with a stay at a moderate resort, which was discounted, plus free memory maker and a $100 gift card, and then they had a deal on tickets 14 days for the price of 7. We upgraded to the Disney Dining plan for about $600, which isn't bad for 10 days.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I will definitely take pictures of their reactions! It will be fun. I'm thinking of doing a scavenger hunt where each clue leads them to one word.

JIMINYCR

Print up and bring a card with you that has Tinkerbell on the front. Inside place a ticket saying they have been so good on the first 5 days that Tink has decided to give them an extended stay of 5 more days. Leave the card on their bed to be found the last evening or the morning you are supposed to be checking out. Fill the card with glitter.

SW_matt

I'm guessing its because of the length of the travel time, for many US residents to orlando is only a short car ride away so short stays can easily be justified whereas where the flight times for us over here can be 9-14 hours a longer stay is far more ergonomic. For that reason most Brits that I know that stay at WDW normally always do a 14 day stay which fully priced would cost a fortune and the numbers coming would most likely plummet. That and the flights themselves cost a bomb! (no pun intended)

Songbird76

Original Poster
This is how we're telling the kids how long we'll be at Disney. They think we're going for 5 days, staying in All-Star Music resort. We have 14 day tickets, with water parks fun and more and park hopper, and we're staying 10 days in the Caribbean Beach Resort. Hubby made an Advent calendar and behind each day is a picture related to the trip..one from each park, one from both of the water parks, and a couple of the resort. Then on the back of each window are letters that spell out "14 days Disney and 10 days Resort" which they won't be able to piece all together until they've opened all the windows. The last window will be opened on Christmas. DSCF4435.JPG DSCF4440 (a).jpg

Goofyernmost

This is how we're telling the kids how long we'll be at Disney. They think we're going for 5 days, staying in All-Star Music resort. We have 14 day tickets, with water parks fun and more and park hopper, and we're staying 10 days in the Caribbean Beach Resort. Hubby made an Advent calendar and behind each day is a picture related to the trip..one from each park, one from both of the water parks, and a couple of the resort. Then on the back of each window are letters that spell out "14 days Disney and 10 days Resort" which they won't be able to piece all together until they've opened all the windows. The last window will be opened on Christmas.View attachment 123913 View attachment 123914
Wait... where are you staying the other four days? Did I miss something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom