Here are Pop's least expensive nightly rates for the last several years:
  • 2014: $106
  • 2015: $107 - 0.9% increase
  • 2016: $111 - 3.7% increase
  • 2017: $118 - 6.3% increase
  • 2018: $126 - 6.8% increase
  • 2019: $130 - 3.2% increase
  • 2020: $154 - 18.5% increase
The Skyliner opened on September 29, 2019.

I remember paying $85+ tax in 2011.

The room renovation in 2018 did more to justify that year's price increase than the Skyliner in 2019/2020.

Animaniac93-98

The Skyliner does not make it easier to get to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs or the water parks.

It does not improve or substantially add to the quality of the accommodations, existing resort amenities or resort service.

It's a better way to get to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, but does not justify the obvious price gouging here.

PolynesianPrincess

The Skyliner does not make it easier to get to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs or the water parks.

It does not improve or substantially add to the quality of the accommodations, existing resort amenities or resort service.

It's a better way to get to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, but does not justify the obvious price gouging here.

We stayed at Pop for a week last year and AOA for a week this year. The Skyliner absolutely does warrant a price increase for those 2 resorts. I cannot tell you the amount of time we saved with the Skyliner getting to Epcot and DHS. Does it warrant such a BIG price jump? No. Because it's still in the value category. But I feel like a small price increase would make sense.

klmall

18% is almost unbelievable! Maybe the rates make sense when the resort isn't crowded but I can tell you that even at a good discount last November (about 20%) I wouldn't stay at Pop again if the resort is full. Everything at the resort was strained including bus services, luggage (RAC) check-in; food; Guest Services etc. and it wasn't even at the holidays. Give me All Stars (if open) anytime! The Skyliner is a great feature but they have reduced bus services to some of the parks because of the Skyliner. This resort is huge and if you end up at either of the extreme ends of the resort you have some walking to do to get to that Skyliner.

Jon81uk

Small increase? Yes.

18.5% increase in 1 year? No.

If they are able to fill the resort at those prices it makes sense. Keep the all-star resort prices low as they don't have the better transport option.
If they can't fill the rooms they will discount and if they can't ongoing fill the rooms maybe the price comes back down.

But something is worth what people are paying.

Jon81uk

18% is almost unbelievable! Maybe the rates make sense when the resort isn't crowded but I can tell you that even at a good discount last November (about 20%) I wouldn't stay at Pop again if the resort is full. Everything at the resort was strained including bus services, luggage (RAC) check-in; food; Guest Services etc. and it wasn't even at the holidays. Give me All Stars (if open) anytime! The Skyliner is a great feature but they have reduced bus services to some of the parks because of the Skyliner. This resort is huge and if you end up at either of the extreme ends of the resort you have some walking to do to get to that Skyliner.

To be fair the walk to the bus stop isn't much shorter than the one to the Skyliner. The All Stars have some long walks too.

Also if the resort was that busy then it shows people are willing to pay those prices!

Mainahman

The funny thing is, POP was our old " home resort" We sat down and did the math, and buying into DVC was cheaper over time than one week at POP was. We drive so transportation didnt matter to us really. POPS great, but when i can pay the same yearly somewhere else and get much better accommodations i will choose that.

ParentsOf4

I don't care if Mickey himself drives you to the Magic Kingdom in your own private limo on Christmas, there is no way that a standard room at a value resort is ever worth $265 a night.
Rack rates are an astonishing $316/night (with tax) for a Standard Room at Pop for the week after Christmas! :jawdrop:

When the heck did Pop become an $300/night hotel?

AAA members can get the Dolphin for $356/night (all taxes and fees included) for those same nights.

Who needs the Skyliner when you can walk to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot?

Animaniac93-98

Rack rates are an astonishing $316/night (with tax) for a Standard Room at Pop for the week after Christmas! :jawdrop:

AAA members can get the Dolphin for $356/night (all taxes and fees included) for those same nights.

Who needs the Skyliner when you can walk to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot?

To say nothing of the difference in room size/quality and resort amenities.

PolynesianPrincess

We've stayed at Swan and Dolphin before with my Mom's Marriott points. When it was Sheraton, we could always get it for marathon weekend. Once Marriott bought it, they changed it to a higher tier hotel and the amount of points you needed skyrocketed! We haven't been able to stay there for marathon weekend since. Plus we had to pay for transportation to and from the airport and the resort fee each night. But with how pricey the values are becoming, the Swalphin is looking like a good option again!

I wonder if another reasonn it's so pricey because it's basically the only value resort open right now and so Disney knows if people want to stay value, they'll have to just suck it up and pay the prices? I remember when moderates were less than $200 a night!! I priced out a Universal stay for us and was BLOWN AWAY how much cheaper their hotels are!

ParentsOf4

I wonder if another reason it's so pricey because it's basically the only value resort open right now and so Disney knows if people want to stay value, they'll have to just suck it up and pay the prices?
Disney released rates for 2021.

Christmas week at Pop Century will set you back $330/night, another higher-than-inflation increase (4.4%).

The All Stars are $254/night for that week, meaning Pop is 30% more than All Stars.

Disney is counting on you really wanting the Skyliner.

PolynesianPrincess

Disney released rates for 2021.

Christmas week at Pop Century will set you back $330/night, another higher-than-inflation increase (4.4%).

The All Stars are $254/night for that week, meaning Pop is 30% more than All Stars.

Disney is counting on you really wanting the Skyliner.

No thanks! If we wanna ride the Skyliner that badly we can just hop on at DHS and go over to Epcot and back lol

tirian

No thanks! If we wanna ride the Skyliner that badly we can just hop on at DHS and go over to Epcot and back lol
I agree! Also, it’s a fairground ride that Disney uses for transportation. It barely costs anything to operate and certainly doesn’t make Pop Century worth $361/night.

Say what you will about Eisner’s disastrous last five years, but at least the man was realistic about the value of P&R.

Club Cooloholic

Everyone does know that it might be a reflection of COVID effect. Some resorts might not still be fully opened by then, and they probably think they are about to get a year and halfs worth of guests flooding in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom