Pop or Coronado 2021

Highlands

Original Poster
Hiya,

First post!
We are planning WDW for our honeymoon in 2021, on a rough Budget, won't pay for a fancy hotel that we won't see, but equally don't want to regret the hotel choice. We have been to WDW previously in 2018 but stayed offsite, we have stayed onsite at DLP (disneyland paris) previously at Santa Fe and wasn't impressed with the quality.

We are tied between POP and Coronado.

POP Pros:
•Room design (much more our style)
•Not having the second bed (left up)
•Table and chairs (planning some room dinners, 14 nights of restaurants isn't for me)
•Skyline (fiance is mad for Star Wars so Hollywood will be our most visited park)

POP Worries:
•Amount of Guests, Children, Noise.
•Is it to basic for a honeymoon
•Dining Plan (I'll come back to this!)

Coronado Pros:
•More 'romantic'/adult themed
•Less In-Your-Face-Disney
•Free QS Dining Plan

Coronado Worries:
•Size (mainly in-resort transport)
•Lack of Table and Chairs
•Unneeded bed

Basically I'm sold on POP but would like to hear peoples thoughts on the noise/children etc. We'll probably leave the room later and get in later.

Has anyone stayed here during Free Dining and upgraded to QS? I worked it out for July 2020 for pricing and POP was £42 more than Coronado with QS Dining at both. Are we better staying at POP without the dining plan?

I know everybody is different but I'd like others opinions to help me decide 😊

Hope this all makes sense! 😁

Last edited:

Zé_Carioca

I find Coronado to be more charming, I know that you wont spend much time at the hotel, but for a honeymoon i'd take the ambiance upgrade since the price is still within your budget. It is true that Coronado does not have the Skyliner but it is just across the street from Studios so I think the bus ride would be fast. If its within your budget id suggest the new tower at Coronado (it is only slightly more expensive than a regular room). Why?

1) Everything is compact in the tower so you wont lose time walking to your room to the parks etc, the walk at Pop can be quite long.
2) The bus stop is right at the entrance to the tower, might make going to the parks easier
3) The standard view rooms will most likely be facing studios. I could see Star Wars Galaxy's edge from my room and since your fiance loves SW that might be a nice romantic touch. Plus, you get to watch the fireworks from the room too if one day you get back early.
4) Some rooms are 1 King bed, so it would get rid of the extra bed problem.
5) Because thee tower is so new, I found the CMs to be way more personal and attentive to really give a great first impression to guests, they went out of their way to make my stay at the tower magical and the attentive service could really make your honeymoon feel even more special. Granted, your trip is a while away so I can't vouch for how the service will be in 2 years.

That is just an opinion, I have not stayed at Pop, but i've visited and toured and I do not care for the ambiance, many people LOVE it though so it can't be too bad. It just feels very loud and chaotic whenever I go. The new rooms at Pop are stunning indeed but that is also a pro for Coronado since all their rooms were renovated with a similar modern clean feel as well.

belledream

We stayed at Pop on our honeymoon! It's obviously not what people may envision when you think of all the options, but it worked for us as we got up really early and came back really late. We liked to think of it as saving money for other experiences during our honeymoon.

We also did do the DDP upgrade at the time and decided it was worth it based on how we wanted to eat during that trip.

As for noise/children, we go during the fall and I really can't complain or think of any issues (though I think I have higher tolerance for that kind of 'stuff 'than others, maybe).

The new rooms at Coronado look great and the price gap may be surprisingly small. I will say, I do not like the idea of multiple bus stops within Coronado. That's just a huge turnoff for me.

But you have a good list of pros/cons going. Just my experiences :).

ppet

I've stayed at POP a couple of times. As far as noise the only time it was bad was during pop warner and the cheerleader comp during early Dec. For a honeymoon I would look at the moderate, although the skyliner may make POP an even better option. Good luck, you really can't go wrong.

Highlands

Original Poster
We stayed at Pop on our honeymoon! It's obviously not what people may envision when you think of all the options, but it worked for us as we got up really early and came back really late. We liked to think of it as saving money for other experiences during our honeymoon.

We also did do the DDP upgrade at the time and decided it was worth it based on how we wanted to eat during that trip.

As for noise/children, we go during the fall and I really can't complain or think of any issues (though I think I have higher tolerance for that kind of 'stuff 'than others, maybe).

The new rooms at Coronado look great and the price gap may be surprisingly small. I will say, I do not like the idea of multiple bus stops within Coronado. That's just a huge turnoff for me.

But you have a good list of pros/cons going. Just my experiences :).
Thank you for opinion! Yes the multiple buses is what is putting me off! It's so hard when you've not been to any before! Looks like we have the same ideas!!!

Highlands

Original Poster
I find Coronado to be more charming, I know that you wont spend much time at the hotel, but for a honeymoon i'd take the ambiance upgrade since the price is still within your budget. It is true that Coronado does not have the Skyliner but it is just across the street from Studios so I think the bus ride would be fast. If its within your budget id suggest the new tower at Coronado (it is only slightly more expensive than a regular room). Why?

1) Everything is compact in the tower so you wont lose time walking to your room to the parks etc, the walk at Pop can be quite long.
2) The bus stop is right at the entrance to the tower, might make going to the parks easier
3) The standard view rooms will most likely be facing studios. I could see Star Wars Galaxy's edge from my room and since your fiance loves SW that might be a nice romantic touch. Plus, you get to watch the fireworks from the room too if one day you get back early.
4) Some rooms are 1 King bed, so it would get rid of the extra bed problem.
5) Because thee tower is so new, I found the CMs to be way more personal and attentive to really give a great first impression to guests, they went out of their way to make my stay at the tower magical and the attentive service could really make your honeymoon feel even more special. Granted, your trip is a while away so I can't vouch for how the service will be in 2 years.

That is just an opinion, I have not stayed at Pop, but i've visited and toured and I do not care for the ambiance, many people LOVE it though so it can't be too bad. It just feels very loud and chaotic whenever I go. The new rooms at Pop are stunning indeed but that is also a pro for Coronado since all their rooms were renovated with a similar modern clean feel as well.
Some great tips and information here....thank you!

Mainahman

Weve stayed at POP in august, and in March before. March brought a bit of cheerleader traffic, but still wasnt noisy. Maybe were tired, and we just pass out, but were in the crowd, where we leave for rope drops and Early EMH, and return after weve been dragged kicking and screaming out.

Were taking a small "honeymoon" 10 years later next month, and will be staying at POP. It just feels like home to us i guess. We originally had looked at the new tower, as there was a really good rate being offered, but, we kept going back to, why pay for this fancy room we wont use.

On a trip of 14 days, you might find a slightly nicer resort is worth it, as you might actually spend more time there than we would. SO id say it would come down to when you feel you might actually use the room.

Boojiboo

I have stayed at POP and I am a kid and I know I didn't make that much noise and don't remember that much noise. I think that POP is a nice place but really comes down to this being your honeymoon. I think no matter what you choose you are going to have an awesome time.

Magenta Panther

Coronado is beautiful. I loved it. The Pop is better for families IMO. For a honeymoon, I'd choose Coronado. It certainly has a more romantic vibe than Pop.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
From my perspective:

Coronado Pros

Nicer grounds.
Better Food Options
Better Pool
More relaxed atmosphere
It's a Convention Hotel so you are apt to have a better (less crowded) experience using Disney Transportation

Coronado Cons

Not connected to another resort - You're kinda like on an island here.
You'll probably opt for Uber or a Minnie Van a couple of times
It's a Convention Hotel so depending on your timing you may be interacting with a whole bunch of people wearing conference badges

POP Pros

Great Food Court
Connected to AoA
Skyliner (I'm assuming this will be a Pro)
Conveniently located (so Bus Rides shouldn't be too long)

POP Cons

The grounds are - okay
Disney Transportation can get crowded (Skyliner may change this a bit)
Your room is a glorified "motor lodge room"
Can get loud if your room is facing the pool
Depending on your room assignment you may need a cab to get coffee in the morning (JK but it can be a walk)

Ordinarily I'd go with CSR. However, there is an appeal with the Skyliner - if you can easily get to Boardwalk. That may be the game changer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom