Pop Century -- Standard vs. Preferred

Tom P.

Original Poster
Hello,

We've never stayed at Pop Century before. Can someone tell me how much actual difference there is, in terms of walking distance to the main building, between a standard room and a preferred room? We do like to take advantage of the food court, the refillable mugs, the arcade, etc. so we would be visiting the main building frequently. Just trying to quantify what that will means in terms of walking time.

Thanks.

JohnD

You can get standard view in the 60s buildings (4 and 5) facing the lagoon and pay less than preferred. So why pay more for a Preferred in the same buildings. The walking distance to the food court / transportation is basically the same. I would only get a preferred if all standards are gone.

If you want a good idea of room locations, try the TouringPlans room finder.

Owl X

PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg

belledream

Just a matter of minutes, I'd say. Less than 5 max. I think it's less about time and more about tired legs or the idea of making multiple trips versus doing everything in one fell swoop. Sounds like you foresee multiple trips.

We never pay for preferred rooms and make out just fine - but we're also the 'one fell swoop' type!

daisyduckie

I typically pay for preferred rooms at the value resorts. I tend to make a lot of trips to the gift shop and food court, so I want to be close. And it is nice being close to the bus stop at the end of a long day.

Be aware that if you book standard you may end up with a bit of a walk. Sure you can request a standard room that is fairly close to the front of the resort, but there is no guarantee that is where you will end up. Only book standard if you will be happy with any standard location.

JohnD

I typically pay for preferred rooms at the value resorts. I tend to make a lot of trips to the gift shop and food court, so I want to be close. And it is nice being close to the bus stop at the end of a long day.

Be aware that if you book standard you may end up with a bit of a walk. Sure you can request a standard room that is fairly close to the front of the resort, but there is no guarantee that is where you will end up. Only book standard if you will be happy with any standard location.

My point being, in Pop, especially in 60s section, there are standard and preferred and the walk is pretty much equally the same, unless you're at the farthest end closest to the lake. But since they all share the same elevator, the walk is the same from the elevator regardless.

Mickey5150

If you end up in the 80s or 90s the key is to cut across the parking lot. Saves some time heading to the Hall and is much quicker getting to the bus stop.

Smiley/OCD

When we used to stay at POP, we always got the 60's bldg., lake side rooms on the top floor (so you don't have kids above you jumping around on your head)...as others have said, the map is a little misleading...the buildings are not spread that spread out and the walk is not bad from either side.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
I’ve been in the farthest part of the 50s and also in a 50s preferred room. I would say of course the preferred is a better walk (especially at the end of a long day) but the regular distance wasn’t bad. Far shorter than I’ve had at PORS.

daisyduckie

My point being, in Pop, especially in 60s section, there are standard and preferred and the walk is pretty much equally the same, unless you're at the farthest end closest to the lake. But since they all share the same elevator, the walk is the same from the elevator regardless.

My point being you can request a section, but there is no guarantee you will get it. Book a standard room and you can be placed in any standard room, not just in the area you request.

Plowboy

Just a couple of observations. We've stayed at Pop a half dozen times or so and every time save for one we've been able to get a top floor facing the lagoon when we requested it. The one exception was a last minute stay when we were down by the computer pool. I read a lot of posts about how far the walk is to the rooms (disclaimer: we're in our 60's and are blessed to be very mobile unlike many) and I think it's somewhat overblown. I say reserve standard and request in advance lagoon side of the 50's or 60's buildings and you should be fine.

Tom P.

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone! It helped!

Ultimately we did book at Pop and we did do Standard rooms. Preferred wasn't even available for the dates we wanted, but we were able to snag free dining.

As far as requesting a specific area, we probably won't. The reason is because we are a family of 7 going into two rooms, and we've requested connecting. While I understand there's no guarantee of getting connecting, I figure our chances are higher if we make no other room requests and let them put us in whatever section they want.

SirWillow

I also appreciate the information and input from everyone. We're arriving in 9 days, and having never stayed at Pop before I didn't know what to request. Very appreciative that we were able to update based on that.

Dave B

Thanks for the input everyone! It helped!

Ultimately we did book at Pop and we did do Standard rooms. Preferred wasn't even available for the dates we wanted, but we were able to snag free dining.

As far as requesting a specific area, we probably won't. The reason is because we are a family of 7 going into two rooms, and we've requested connecting. While I understand there's no guarantee of getting connecting, I figure our chances are higher if we make no other room requests and let them put us in whatever section they want.
When are you guys going?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom