Pop Century renovation schedule

Zipadeelady

My trip to POP is still 42 days away but I'm getting antsy so I called to find out if Disney could tell me if they've started renovations on buildings 1 and 2. The last of the buildings needing to be renovated. (I want a newly renovated room and Daughter wants a 50's room). I was told over the phone that renovations are done in buildings 5-10, I know I wasn't getting the information I needed so I hopped over to Trip Advisor to see if any recents reviews have been made. Someone has stated that they are in the process of both buildings 1 and 3, haven't started on 2 yet. Can anyone confirm that 2 is the only one not yet renovated yet?

Last edited:

allgiggles

My trip to POP is still 42 days away but I'm getting antsy so I called to find out if Disney could tell me if they've started renovations on buildings 1 and 2. The last of the buildings needing to be renovated. (I want a newly renovated room and Daughter wants a 50's room). I was told over the phone that renovations are done in rooms 5-10, I know I wasn't getting the information I needed so I hopped over to Trip Advisor to see if any recents reviews have been made. Someone has stated that they are in the process of both buildings 1 and 3, haven't started on 2 yet. Can anyone confirm that 2 is the only one not yet renovated yet?

I follow a thread on another message board as well as a FB groups that both post information on the refurbishments. Refurbishments started on Building 3 on March 3. I've read one report of one wing of that building being opened with refurbished rooms. I haven't seen it confirmed with pictures. Renovations began on Building 1 on April 29. I've seen reports that the entire building is now closed, but again, haven't seen confirmation with pictures. I don't believe work has begun on Building 2 yet. All other buildings (4-10) have been completed. It's been taking an average of 60-90 days to complete a building. If you want a refurbished room in the 50's, I think the only possibility for your trip is going to be Building 3 (and that's just a personal guess). Keep checking on the status of the refurbishment and about a week before your arrival date, call Disney and have them add your request to your reservation. There could be a very small number of renovated rooms available in the 50's section at that point so assuming they haven't started building 2 yet when you arrive, you could end up in that building with a non-renovated room if you request the 50's.

Zipadeelady

I follow a thread on another message board as well as a FB groups that both post information on the refurbishments. Refurbishments started on Building 3 on March 3. I've read one report of one wing of that building being opened with refurbished rooms. I haven't seen it confirmed with pictures. Renovations began on Building 1 on April 29. I've seen reports that the entire building is now closed, but again, haven't seen confirmation with pictures. I don't believe work has begun on Building 2 yet. All other buildings (4-10) have been completed. It's been taking an average of 60-90 days to complete a building. If you want a refurbished room in the 50's, I think the only possibility for your trip is going to be Building 3 (and that's just a personal guess). Keep checking on the status of the refurbishment and about a week before your arrival date, call Disney and have them add your request to your reservation. There could be a very small number of renovated rooms available in the 50's section at that point so assuming they haven't started building 2 yet when you arrive, you could end up in that building with a non-renovated room if you request the 50's.
I suppose if I don't get a renovated room it won't be the end of the world, it'd be nice but I'll survive. I will see what the reno's are like before I head down. I will stay in the 50's section though. It's the one thing my daughter asked for....kids....the things we do for them. :happy:

allgiggles

I suppose if I don't get a renovated room it won't be the end of the world, it'd be nice but I'll survive. I will see what the reno's are like before I head down. I will stay in the 50's section though. It's the one thing my daughter asked for....kids....the things we do for them. :happy:

Just be prepared that even though you request it, you might not get the 50's section. If they get building 3 finished before you arrive, they could have buildings 1 & 2 completely closed. The good news is if that happens, and you do get a room in the 50's section, it *will* be renovated. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Long story but due to horrible weather back home I actually kept vouching back to Disney at Pop for 4 additional nights beyond the one and only night I was going to stay there, each one in a different room (and countless DME trips to and from MCO :facepalm:)

When I left (the final time lol) The building of the 50's that looked like it was almost ready for guests again was the long portion of the building with the number 8 on it. Drapes up, punch list off the windows, putting towels etc in there when I left. At that time they closed down the long portion of building closest to classic hall. Over the course of a month I was down there I visited a few times to peek at the gondolas and noted demolishion was still happening at the building with the 8 on it and possibly a portion of 9, maybe but there were guests in rooms nearer to the bowling pin pool. I was under the impression that the balance of the resort had renovated rooms. They did reopen the bowling pin pool though. Me I'd stay in a different area. By daylight there is so much construction foot traffic and a few carts, carts full of debris being hauled along with the new stuff coming into the area for the rooms. I stayed in a brand new, meaning me first in the 90's, a night in the 80's, a night in the 70's and 2 nights in 60's. By far I'd stay in the 60's given the choice as I was in the wing that overlooked the pool and closest to Classic Hall. I'd start to brace for 50's possibly not being available.

I had only stayed at Pop once before ten years ago and didn't care for the rooms. Now they are more tranquil and lighter. In rooms with 2 beds they are queen and were a good quality. I had both queen and king rooms and I actually liked the queen version more. My only complaint is the floors. The fake wood and the white-ish bath floor tile really show every smug of dirt and in all honest they were dirty. I kept shoes on when not in bed.

Hope that helps

pop-map.jpg

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

Long story but due to horrible weather back home I actually kept vouching back to Disney at Pop for 4 additional nights beyond the one and only night I was going to stay there, each one in a different room (and countless DME trips to and from MCO :facepalm:)

When I left (the final time lol) The building of the 50's that looked like it was almost ready for guests again was the long portion of the building with the number 8 on it. Drapes up, punch list off the windows, putting towels etc in there when I left. At that time they closed down the long portion of building closest to classic hall. Over the course of a month I was down there I visited a few times to peek at the gondolas and noted demolishion was still happening at the building with the 8 on it and possibly a portion of 9, maybe but there were guests in rooms nearer to the bowling pin pool. I was under the impression that the balance of the resort had renovated rooms. They did reopen the bowling pin pool though. Me I'd stay in a different area. By daylight there is so much construction foot traffic and a few carts, carts full of debris being hauled along with the new stuff coming into the area for the rooms. I stayed in a brand new, meaning me first in the 90's, a night in the 80's, a night in the 70's and 2 nights in 60's. By far I'd stay in the 60's given the choice as I was in the wing that overlooked the pool and closest to Classic Hall. I'd start to brace for 50's possibly not being available.

I had only stayed at Pop once before ten years ago and didn't care for the rooms. Now they are more tranquil and lighter. In rooms with 2 beds they are queen and were a good quality. I had both queen and king rooms and I actually liked the queen version more. My only complaint is the floors. The fake wood and the white-ish bath floor tile really show every smug of dirt and in all honest they were dirty. I kept shoes on when not in bed.

Hope that helps

pop-map.jpg
That helps tremendously! Thank you so much for the input!! Maybe I will change my request to 60's, I'll have to talk with the daughter.

Amos1784

I tried to skim through everything but have not see the answer to this so sorry if it is here somewhere...

We have stayed in a refurbed room and love it, but with all the refurbishments were any made into Kings? Or were those completely taken away?

Zipadeelady

I tried to skim through everything but have not see the answer to this so sorry if it is here somewhere...

We have stayed in a refurbed room and love it, but with all the refurbishments were any made into Kings? Or were those completely taken away?
It looks like @Gabe1 was just there and stayed in a newly renovated King. So yep, I'd say there were.

allgiggles

That helps tremendously! Thank you so much for the input!! Maybe I will change my request to 60's, I'll have to talk with the daughter.

The 60's was my favorite location at Pop. We were in building 4, lake view room right by the elevator. It was the perfect location for us. It was on the quiet side of the building with lovely view of the lake. We could also see fireworks from our room every night (we were on the 4th floor -- not sure if the trees are too tall now). We were right by the elevator/stairs so it was a quick walk to the pool, food court, and bus stops. At the time, that was a preferred location (we got a free upgrade). Now it's a standard location and it's the location I would request if we ever stay at Pop again.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The 60's was my favorite location at Pop. We were in building 4, lake view room right by the elevator. It was the perfect location for us. It was on the quiet side of the building with lovely view of the lake. We could also see fireworks from our room every night (we were on the 4th floor -- not sure if the trees are too tall now). We were right by the elevator/stairs so it was a quick walk to the pool, food court, and bus stops. At the time, that was a preferred location (we got a free upgrade). Now it's a standard location and it's the location I would request if we ever stay at Pop again.
As I said weather at Ohare had me riding the DME back to Pop repeatedly.

The Lake with the gondola construction and coupled with Bowling Pin restoration was beyond ugly. If you are touring commando from dawn to midnight it would be OK. Daylight not so much. Construction Hell

allgiggles

As I said weather at Ohare had me riding the DME back to Pop repeatedly.

The Lake with the gondola construction and coupled with Bowling Pin restoration was beyond ugly. If you are touring commando from dawn to midnight it would be OK. Daylight not so much. Construction Hell

Good to know. I don't have any plans to stay at Pop in the next year or two so I'm ok, but hopefully this helps someone else who might be there during the construction phase. I'm actually not a big "view" person -- I mentioned the lovely view because I know some people love having a nice view from their room. I'm all about location. We've been staying in a suite at AoA on our last few trips and we've had a parking lot view there in the past and I've requested one again for our upcoming trip because that parking lot view is a great location for us logistically. Same with the 60's buildings at Pop. I rarely open the curtains so I'm not overly concerned with the view. I am, however, concerned with how long of a walk it is from my room to the bus stops and food court! :D

Tobes58

We are going early Sept. 2018 for Food and Wine, hope all rooms are done by then. We love staying in the 50's section, Bowling Pin Pool is a great place to relax after a day in the parks and refresh to go back out at night!! Keep us posted on progress please!!!

allgiggles

We are going early Sept. 2018 for Food and Wine, hope all rooms are done by then. We love staying in the 50's section, Bowling Pin Pool is a great place to relax after a day in the parks and refresh to go back out at night!! Keep us posted on progress please!!!

They should be pretty close to finished by then if not completely finished. The good news is that by then you definitely won't get an un-refurbished room because all of the rooms will either be finished or under construction. :)

Tobes58

They should be pretty close to finished by then if not completely finished. The good news is that by then you definitely won't get an un-refurbished room because all of the rooms will either be finished or under construction. :)
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!! Looking forward to the new rooms this trip!!

surfsupdon

I was at Pop over the weekend. The concierge said that in about a few more weeks there will not be any non refurbished rooms left, that they will be either new or under construction.

Building 1 was under the knife, as were the rooms to the right of the giant diner jukebox of building 2.

The new rooms were terrific. Extremely thoughtful in layout, and great taste. Also, in the pictures they seemed so much whiter- not so in person, there were pops of color all around. Huge fan!!

Tobes58

I was at Pop over the weekend. The concierge said that in about a few more weeks there will not be any non refurbished rooms left, that they will be either new or under construction.

Building 1 was under the knife, as were the rooms to the right of the giant diner jukebox of building 2.

The new rooms were terrific. Extremely thoughtful in layout, and great taste. Also, in the pictures they seemed so much whiter- not so in person, there were pops of color all around. Huge fan!!
Thanks for the update Surfsupdon!!! Looking forward to a Refurbed room and EPCOT Food & Wine!! 91 days and counting!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom