Pop, Caribbean BR or Port Orleans FQ

LisaMc

Original Poster
Ok, so we've decided to do Disney onsite next year - Halloween 2020 with our 2 kids, aged 8 & 9.
Getting an offer on Disney.ie site with $200 gift card if we stay at Moderate Hotel. Never stayed on site and its like 20 years since I was last in Florida.

So need to pick which Hotel and am torn between:

Pop Century - no gift card but price is within budget and will have Skyliner next year. Refurbed rooms.
Carribbean BR - €193 more expensive but $200 gift card makes it same price more or less same, plus Skyliner next year. But I've read the site is massive, a lot of walking to get to food courts etc ??
Port Orleans FQ - €277 more expensive but $200 gift card included. Boat to Springs. Smaller Hotel, quieter.

Can anyone who has been to all 3 help me decide.
Thanks
Lisa

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I’ve never stayed at CBR. How much time do you spend on the room? If not a lot, I’d go Pop, as it is cheapest and has the sky liner (and you can walk to Art of Animation Resort so it’s almost like having two food courts). If a smaller resort is important, go POFQ, as you have access via boat to Port Orleans Riverside (so also basically two table service restaurants and two food courts) and the boat also goes to Disney Springs. If you want the largest variety of resort meals and activities, then CBR is probably your best bet, which also has sky liner access so easy transport to Epcot and DHS.

If it were me, I’d go Pop if you aren’t in the room very much or POFQ if you spend more time at the resort.

cosmicgirl

Ok, so we've decided to do Disney onsite next year - Halloween 2020 with our 2 kids, aged 8 & 9.
Getting an offer on Disney.ie site with $200 gift card if we stay at Moderate Hotel. Never stayed on site and its like 20 years since I was last in Florida.

So need to pick which Hotel and am torn between:

Pop Century - no gift card but price is within budget and will have Skyliner next year. Refurbed rooms.
Carribbean BR - €193 more expensive but $200 gift card makes it same price more or less same, plus Skyliner next year. But I've read the site is massive, a lot of walking to get to food courts etc ??
Port Orleans FQ - €277 more expensive but $200 gift card included. Boat to Springs. Smaller Hotel, quieter.

Can anyone who has been to all 3 help me decide.
Thanks
Lisa
If you picked Halloween to see the decorations (rather than the actual date) then you could also go in the second half of August and get the quick-service dining plan for free on top of the gift card. This makes the move to a moderate a no-brainer.

There are some differences w.r.t. pools: Pop doesn't have a hot tub or a slide so that may be a factor. Caribbean Beach has a zero-entry pool.
All three have pretty good food courts. I personally think Art of Animation has the best food court, so to to me this would always be a plus of staying at staying at Pop. But this will also be easily accessible with the Skyliner from Caribbean Beach.
Caribbean Beach is indeed the most spread out resort out of your three options but it does have an internal shuttle if needed. The distance from the furthest rooms to the lobby is actually about the same for Pop and Caribbean Beach (7-8 minutes), unless you're staying in a pirate room but then you would have Spyglass Grill nearby.

Honestly, if the lack of a slide isn't a deal breaker I would let the kids choose which theme or which pool area they like best. I would personally pick Skyliner access over a boat to Disney Springs any day. It's a nice boat ride but you'll use Skyliner more than you would use the boat.

Last edited:

Plowboy

Disclaimer: It's been years since we stayed at CBR (and I know it's changed recently). With that being said, I'd go:

1. POFQ. Great theming, boat to Disney Springs, walk to POR. Just all around superior to me.
2. Pop. Whimsical theming, will have Skyliner. We've stayed there many times and been more than satisfied.
3. CBR. Was not really impressed way back when. Can't speak for what it's like now.

daisyduckie

Disclaimer: It's been years since we stayed at CBR (and I know it's changed recently). With that being said, I'd go:

1. POFQ. Great theming, boat to Disney Springs, walk to POR. Just all around superior to me.
2. Pop. Whimsical theming, will have Skyliner. We've stayed there many times and been more than satisfied.
3. CBR. Was not really impressed way back when. Can't speak for what it's like now.

Ditto all of this. I have stayed at all 3, and this exactly.

LisaMc

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses. Think I've ruled out CBR. Leaning more towards Pop as we don't plan on being at the hotel that much, It will be for the parks every day, using Magic hours etc.
Do you know how late are the parks open in October - week before Halloween, 25 October for 5 days ?
If they are closed early - then we could be in the pools later if were allowed and that might make up my mind

mf1972

depending on what nights in october MK is having the halloween party, i believe the park closes at 7pm. if you have tickets for the party, you can stay till midnight. if it’s a non party evening, they usually stay open till around 9pm

juniorthomas

depending on what nights in october MK is having the halloween party, i believe the park closes at 7pm. if you have tickets for the party, you can stay till midnight. if it’s a non party evening, they usually stay open till around 9pm
Yeah, be extra mindful of the party. This year's dates: October 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 27, 29, 31

CaptainAmerica

FQ is the top choice here, but Pop isn't a terrible choice if all you're looking for is a bed. Plus, the money saved can go to food or experiences or shopping.
Lots of people have lots of love for Pop, and I don't get it in the slightest. It's over the top garish without the redeeming Disney-ness of Art of Animation. It's like staying in a McDonald's ball pit.

John park hopper

Stayed at CBR just prior to the new construction 2 years ago. Just came back from 8 days at POFQ and for us hands down POFQ will be our return resort. Small resort, great pool for the kids, food court prices are reasonable, buses run every 20 minutes one stop direct to parks. Beds were comfortable and I liked the lament flooring

Last edited:

LisaMc

Original Poster
Lots of people have lots of love for Pop, and I don't get it in the slightest. It's over the top garish without the redeeming Disney-ness of Art of Animation. It's like staying in a McDonald's ball pit.
Had looked at art of animation but the pool is closed for construction during our stay - so that's crossed off the list

LisaMc

Original Poster
Stayed at CBR just prior to the new construction 2 years ago. Just came back from 8 days at POFQ and for us hands down POFQ will be our return resort. Small resort, great pool for the kids, food court prices are reasonable, buses run every 20 minutes one stop direct to parks.
Yes POFQ is very tempting, just watched a Tour video and pools and all look lovely, plus seems to have live music in the evenings?

juniorthomas

Everyone has their thing. Although I haven't seen a McDonald's with a ball pit, but I'd hazard a guess that someone would find a brief stay in one to be a fun experience.

Dave B

It is worse now

MissingDisney

Stayed at all....POFQ.

POFQ.

Did I mention POFQ. No comparison...even our kids preferred it at the ages your kids are now. Pop is fine but just feels chaotic All. The. Time.

CBR is just....a lot. And that was before the construction.

POFQ has good kids stuff, great food, the river and boat, excellent entertainment, small, ONE BUS STOP....

JillC LI

I've stayed at Pop and CBR (pre-construction) and POR (not FQ but we did visit it). I'd vote POFQ (which I see is what you just booked). CBR is big but if you request a standard room in Aruba or Jamaica then you are very close to the main pool and food court without paying extra for a preferred room. FQ is great if only for the beignets! LOL. Make sure you walk over to POR one night to see Yehaa Bob perform in the River Roost Lounge - he's not to be missed. Pop was just fine for those times when you don't want to splurge on a more expensive resort - we were quite comfortable there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom