Pooh on the sidewalk

djronnieb

Original Poster
Did I get your attention? good now read:

<!--StartFragment -->
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Winnie the Pooh sure does love his honey, but the beloved bear now has something just as sweet: a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
The children's character, created in the 1920s by British author A.A. Milne, was joined Tuesday at the star's unveiling by his Hundred Acre Wood pals Tigger, Eeyore and Rabbit.
Pooh debuted as a cartoon character in the 1966 Disney featurette ``Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree,'' and went on to star in dozens of films, specials and several cartoon series. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=146 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
`I know that Winnie would react to all this fanfare by simply saying, `Oh bother,'' said Robert Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Co. ``But, Winnie, you really are worth a bother.''
Milne named Pooh after a stuffed bear owned by his son Christopher Robin Milne.
The ceremony coincided with the DVD release of 1997's ``Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin,'' which marks the bear's 80th anniversary.

aeillill

127480235_2bb2eb8763.jpg

Here he is getting the star - doesn't he look all sassy?

I thought he was named after a bear Milne and his son saw at the zoo. The bear was named Winnie, short for Winnipeg, because he was the former mascot of a Canadian batallion in the war (his owner was from Winnipeg, Manitoba).

Of maybe the teddy bear was named after the bear in the zoo.

Anyone know for sure?

Craig

TimonRulz

Soemone needs to get pooh off the street. Uh, well, I mean Pooh from the picture. lol. Awesome title for the thread and grats to Pooh. :)

aeillill

DisneyFans! said:
I thought he was named after a bear Milne and his son saw at the zoo. The bear was named Winnie, short for Winnipeg, because he was the former mascot of a Canadian batallion in the war (his owner was from Winnipeg, Manitoba).

Of maybe the teddy bear was named after the bear in the zoo.

Anyone know for sure?

Craig

You're right with both things. Here's an article all about the origins of Winnie the Pooh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_the_Pooh#Origins

astewart

Milne named Pooh after a stuffed bear owned by his son Christopher Robin Milne.

Thats not quite accurate....

I belive the true storey is that he named Pooh, after a bear owned by a soldier, that was donated to a zoo. The soldier had named him Winnie, after his home town Winnipeg.

This is a brief commercial that airs on Canadian TV from time to time

Where the name Winnie the Pooh came from

Woody13

I find it to be ironic that Pooh gets his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but Sterling Holloway is not recognized on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

ZapperZ

There were news reports that while Tigger, Rabbit, and Eeyore were in attendence, Christopher Robin and surprisingly, Piglet, were missing!

We all have heard the news (rumors) that Disney is planning to replace Christopher Robin with a 6-year old girl, but Piglet? Is this an ominous sign that Piglet might go next?

http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/12/disney-pooh-iger-cx_po_0412autofacescan01.html
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/04/12/pooh.star.ap/index.html

Zz.

Edit: AND we have videos!

http://today.reuters.com/tv/videoChannel.aspx?storyid=0f991b928b6975fad8c659647d78e1d3357fa34e

ctwhalerman

Woody13 said:
I find it to be ironic that Pooh gets his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but Sterling Holloway is not recognized on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

I find it ironic that animated characters are getting stars, and even inanimate places (like Disneyland), and yet many real and deserving people get overlooked.

Oh well, can't win them all.

bgraham34

ctwhalerman said:
I find it ironic that animated characters are getting stars, and even inanimate places (like Disneyland), and yet many real and deserving people get overlooked.

Oh well, can't win them all.

Yeah I think Stars on the Walk of Fame are over rated. Everone gets them now. I mean Ryan Seacrest has one, come on i think you have to be on more than 1 tv show and have a little bit of a career first. All you need is a sponsor and some money and anyone can get int. Well almost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom