Polynesian sign carving

yaksplat

Original Poster
Time for this year's post Disney trip carving. I was trying to find something that I could make this year for each of my sons for Christmas. This year we stayed at the Polynesian and I really liked the look of the carved signs for each building.

20150826_165828.jpg

So that's what I'll be making to go under the tree this year. One sign for each of my sons rooms. Wood has been purchased and the designs have been completed in Photoshop. I'll post pictures as the work progresses on the signs.

Last edited:

yaksplat

Original Poster
Completed the initial sketch and final design in Photoshop.

charlie_final%202.jpg

I'm still messing around with the colors. White is on the original, but I was thinking that a light blue might look nice on the lettering. Not sure yet...

I'm no Photoshop wizard, but all I really need is an outline that I can transfer onto the wood. So this isn't a really clean drawing, but for my purposes it'll do.

Last edited:

yaksplat

Original Poster
I've finally had some time to work on this and have some updates

So, after printing out the drawing from Photoshop, I trace the whole thing using an embossing tool and carbon paper. This will transfer the image to the wood.

WP_20151121_12_38_17_Pro.jpg

That leaves a nice outline to work with. Otherwise I'd go nuts trying to get thing laid out properly. The sign then gets cut out for carving.

WP_20151121_12_42_37_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

yaksplat

Original Poster
I've decided that i'm never going to make three of something again. The first one was fun. The second was a bit tedious. And the third was downright annoying. Once you do something once, your hands want to do something different. Or at least mine do...

I noticed that the links to my pictures were getting all screwed up. Hopefully I've fixed them.

Anyways on to painting.
Initial background coat:

Then the surface gets sanded so the foreground is painted on raw wood and not a dark color.

And without further ado, the final product.

The two older boys were happy with their presents, but the youngest, 4, was not at all. I don't think he understood quite what it was. A couple days later and now he can't wait to hang it up.

NYwdwfan

Those are so ridiculously cool. The amount of time, and work, that went into those - and to have them come out so amazing - those signs are going to be cherished by your boys long beyond this Christmas. Awesome job.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I've decided that i'm never going to make three of something again. The first one was fun. The second was a bit tedious. And the third was downright annoying. Once you do something once, your hands want to do something different. Or at least mine do...

I noticed that the links to my pictures were getting all screwed up. Hopefully I've fixed them.

Anyways on to painting.
Initial background coat:

Then the surface gets sanded so the foreground is painted on raw wood and not a dark color.

And without further ado, the final product.

The two older boys were happy with their presents, but the youngest, 4, was not at all. I don't think he understood quite what it was. A couple days later and now he can't wait to hang it up.

Awesome. Impressive! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom