Polynesian Resort.....The final nail in the coffin ?

castlecake2.0

Would they build more long houses on luau cove for regular rooms and shift everything over to keep all the DVC rooms in the same area?

Beacon Joe

Okay, so I think I came up with a great use for that space that could serve as a thematic segue and also solve one of my pet peeves with some of the newer decor at the Polynesian.

A boutique South Florida / Jimmy Buffet and parrots-tiki style hotel. It's distinctly Floridian. It borrows some elements of Polynesian Pop. And all the horrible and garishly painted "Florida style tiki" decorations at Bou-tiki could be happily shipped there and replaced with carvings from Oceanic Arts and Bamboo Ben. Win-win.

Florida tiki aesthetic:

florida tiki.jpg

florida tiki style.jpg

Would be a much more appropriate location for these guys:

boutiki1.jpg

boutiki2.jpg

Mr. Moderate

I could easily see Disney doing this and DVC has proved to be a guaranteed money maker for them. There would be pixie dusters lining up with money in their hands to buy into this and at one time in my life, I would have been one of them.

I went to the Luau as a kid in the 80s and was bored to tears - pretty sure literally. However, this goes back a long way in Disney history and just one more piece of evidence that this leadership does not care about tradition or unique offerings that have separated Disney from the other destinations.

1-2 bedrooms at the Poly would be in huge demand, so it's certainly conceivable

The Empress Lilly

ed3b99dbf486283663811d42b9f4f20f.jpg
dcr111111LARGE.jpg

All SSL hotels were designed as a contemporary tower with thematic style elements, surrounded by lower level wings. Over time, the Poly tower got decreased and the Contemporary wings all but removed, and the Asian etc never built.

Now thought of as opposites, the Poly and Contemporary were originally stylistic twins.

A glass and steel Poly tower would, in a twisted and unintentional manner, finally restore balance in the universe, or at least 7SL.

EeyoreFan#24

It would make most sense to be part of the Poly, but what’s the possibility it’s connected to the GF or standalone. There’s a lot of room, especially if they bridge the monorail beams somehow.

castlecake2.0

An addition in this area wouldn’t surprise me.
A DVC addition or standard rooms you think?

I wouldn’t mind them developing the area if it included dining and didn’t stick out like the GF does from certain angles. My concern with adding too many rooms is that it puts more strain on services that are already operating at capacity, especially restaurant availability.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A DVC addition or standard rooms you think?

I wouldn’t mind them developing the area if it included dining and didn’t stick out like the GF does from certain angles. My concern with adding too many rooms is that it puts more strain on services that are already operating at capacity, especially restaurant availability.
DVC wouldn’t surprise me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom