Polynesian Dining

LCK123

Original Poster
We're planning a September trip (6 days, 5 nights) - taking the 3 kids (ages 6,4,1), my in-laws, and my mother. Our last trip in December 2005 was absolutely fantastic - we had the Disney dining package, which I would absolutely recommend to anyone. Well worth the money.

We are on the MYW with free dining package in September. The only downside that I see is that it only offers 1 counter service per day, instead of two and you only get the number of meals per night of your stay. Since we arrive early on our first day and leave late on our last day, we are going to have to purchase a few meals during our visit.

I have made reservations for all our meals, including the luau at the polynesian. I went about 10 years ago and absolutely loved it, but haven't gotten back yet. Since this event will use up two meals, I purchased the tickets on my own instead of using the dining plan. I have heard mixed reviews of the food from some friends recently. I remember the food being absolutely delicious. Has anyone been lately and did I do the right thing by purchasing this on my own rather than using up two dining plan meals...thoughts anyone?

tigsmom

The luau underwent a total transformation not too long ago... new foods, new story line and a new name, it is now called The Spirit of Aloha; There are no more characters (my oldest loved dancing the hula with Minnie).

As you said, reviews have been mixed. I haven't been since the transformation, but I'm sure somebody who has will be along and fill you in.

:wave:

lawyergirl77

tigsmom said:
The luau underwent a total transformation not too long ago... new foods, new story line and a new name, it is now called The Spirit of Aloha; There are no more characters (my oldest loved dancing the hula with Minnie).

As you said, reviews have been mixed. I haven't been since the transformation, but I'm sure somebody who has will be along and fill you in.

:wave:
I miss the old luau... :cry:

The new one still has a great show in the end, but the food is no longer worth it IMHO and the parts of the show during dinner that involve Auntie Screechy McScreechums made me want to fling chicken bones at her. I won't be going back until they make changes to both the food and the pre-show, but it's worth it to try just once... Just don't expect value for your money!! :lol:

The new storyline seems really tacked on...I think I'd prefer straight-up performances by the dancers, etc... rather than the whole "home town girl comes back and finds her Hawaiian spirit again". Its a great message, but really force fed.

Speaking of which, the food is so-so. Our service was terrible...the waiter really didn't want to be there and it showed. I'm sure others had good service, but I can only comment on ours.

I pushed for our family to include this one on our itinerary because of my memories of being amazed at the fire dancers and the polynesian atmosphere. Some of the atmosphere is still there, but the show is more like the 'Mickey Mouse Club does Polynesia' now. If that's your cup of tea, go for it, but otherwise, do breakfast at Ohana and take a stroll through the resort.

Craig

LCK123

Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of. I remember the old show with really dynamic dancers and really good food. I'm sure the kids will still enjoy the show but I was really looking for the grown up time too....Too bad. We're still most likely going to go, so I'll report back in October after the trip. Thanks for the information!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom