1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Poly or Grand Floridian?

Discussion in 'WDW Resort Hotels' started by mrs moon, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mrs moon

mrs moon Member

can i have your thoughts please between these two resorts,we are a family of nanny,mummy and 12 yr old girl....Many thanks

ParentsOf4 likes this.
  2. EOD K9

EOD K9 Well-Known Member

Can you be a bit more specific? What amenities are you looking for? I've stayed at both using my DVC points. Poly is an original and gives me the classic Disney feel. GF is also very nice. Both are on the monorail line. If you have questions, we have answers.

ParentsOf4 likes this.
  3. LAKid53

LAKid53 Well-Known Member

I've stayed at both and i think your daughter would enjoy Poly more - more kid focused resort...and better pools. Other than Park Fair, the restaurants at GF are more adult, to me.

And you have the added bonus of being able to walk to the Transportation and Ticketing Center to catch the Epcot monorail, rather than taking the resort loop around to the TTC.

4. Spike-in-Berlin

Spike-in-Berlin Well-Known Member

Before they gutted the GCH and made the Poly the Honolulu Hilton I would have always recommended the Polynesian, some people say the (old) Poly was better than the real thing. Today it is difficult, the Poly still has several qualities the GF doesn't have ( Tonga Toast for example) but it is an old resort and sometimes it shows ( noise level of AC e.g.) . The South Seas theming is of course still strong compared to the Victorian of the GF and if you prefer atmosphere to comfort I would take still the Poly, especially with a child.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    eliza61nyc and Driver like this.
  5. zurgandfriend

zurgandfriend Well-Known Member

My DW and I prefer the Grand Floridian. We enjoy the feel of the resort, the cast members that work there and we love the restaurants, Citrico’s, Narcoosee’s, 1900 Park Fare and The Grand Floridian Café. We also prefer the pools and the shops. That however is just our preference also, that said we always stop at the Polynesian to look around and to have breakfast one morning at the Kona café.

6. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

Having stayed at both the Poly and GF in the past 9 months I would recommend the GF. I was really disappointed by the Poly when we stayed there in March and as Spike has mentioned, it feels old. It has redeeming qualities but just not enough for me anymore.

7. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

Your dislike over a lobby keeps you from recommending it automatically? I actually love the new lobby even though I have so many fond memories of the old.

The theming with the two is apples and oranges. We like the Poly pools better. Both are easy to get back and forth between for food options.

Transportation wise hands down Polynesian wins. The resort monorail isn't always reliable. From Polynesian you can easily walk to the TTC and hop the monorail or ferry to MK or monorail to Epcot. From the boat launch you are the first stop where from GF you have to go to the Polynesian and then MK.

Really to the OP pick the one that appeals in theming and I doubt you'll be unhappy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Stayed at both. Would pick the GF every time if the prices are equal. Just an opinion.

9. DisneyPrincess5

DisneyPrincess5 Well-Known Member

As @EOD K9 noted, more info would be helpful to know what you're looking for in your stay/vacation.
    Both are beautiful and charming in their own ways and of course the locations of both are ideal depending on what type of trip you want to have.

I can only speak to the Poly as we've stayed at there twice and absolutely loved it. Great location in proximity to MK and other resorts to dine at or explore. The monorail makes it fun and easy to get around the area and to Epcot. The lobby while changed is really welcoming and warm and immerses you in that island vibe. Captain Cooks, th is Polys quick service food spot, offers a variety choices and Kona and Ohana are good spots too.

10. TheMan&TheMouse

TheMan&TheMouse New Member

Agreed. Huge Plus!

11. maflynn

maflynn Well-Known Member

I've stayed at neither, but if I were to choose, I'd say the Polynesian. I think the theming is really great, the idea that you can walk to the TTC for a monorail ride to Epcot, or take the monorail to MK. those types of accommodations are a huge plus imo.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and I reserved for our next trip a week at the Poly :D

12. JusticeDisney

JusticeDisney Well-Known Member

I would say definitely go with the Beach Club. Oh, wait, that wasn't an option! Lol!

All kidding aside, if you have it narrowed down to GF or Poly, I would go with Poly. IMO, GF has the least kid-friendly feel of any resort anywhere on property.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have the best trip!

13. Jeff056

Jeff056 New Member

Nice ;) you definitely won't be disappointed

14. maflynn

maflynn Well-Known Member

My daughters are so amped up at staying there, they cannot wait.

JusticeDisney likes this.
  15. Dianak28

Dianak28 New Member

Hi there! I have stayed at poly 8 times and always highly recommend it. GF is beautiful, but there is just a feeling at poly that you don't get at other resorts. I suggest the studio villa rooms, as they are pretty new and beautifully decorated. The tropical feel and friendly atmosphere is great for kids and adults alike. Overall, I think the food options are better at Poly- 'Ohana, Kona Cafe, Captain Cooks, and more are favorites with amazing options. Plus it is the only resort with dole whip :) You can walk or take monorail to GF to see the magnificent lobby and cute shops.

16. JIMINYCR

JIMINYCR Well-Known Member

Is this your first trip to WDW? Both resorts have their advantages and distinctive feel to them. If this was an adult only trip I might advise to go with GF. But with a 12yo child along I'd probably recommend Poly as being a bit more kid friendly. Go visit GF while you are there and if it interests you then try it out another time.

17. mrs moon

mrs moon Member Original Poster

Thanks so much..

JusticeDisney likes this.
  18. chrisbarry

chrisbarry Member

The Poly any day and everyday.

crxbrett likes this.
  19. eliza61nyc

eliza61nyc Active Member

Like others I'm going to go with the GF. I do not like the Poly since they remodeled it. Yes folks to me ambiance is important especially at the prices both resort charge. I love the Grand floridian and especially with a girl, the grand Floridian was "all" princess-ey. lol. It was just "pretty". Mummy, you will love it also.

Spike-in-Berlin likes this.
  20. jpinkc

jpinkc Active Member

I have to agree about GF, Poly seems to me have lost something after the renovation. A girl will love the GF, that and if they still do the Princess Promenade in the afternoons shes probably still in the age range to eat that up. Good thing to plan a break around if you think you would like one in the afternoon.

Spike-in-Berlin likes this.