Poly DVC Studios vs Resort Rooms

DISR

Original Poster
I am looking at trip to the Poly, and I have not stayed there since the renovation and debut of the DVC buildings. The price is close enough between a DVC studio and a resort room that it doesn't matter to me. We will be a party of 4 with 2 kids and 2 adults. Our last stay at Yacht club, one kid took a bed and one took the fold-down behind the couch...we really liked the kids having their own place to sleep.

Is there any distinct advantage of DVC or resort rooms in amenities, layouts, location, etc? Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I am looking at trip to the Poly, and I have not stayed there since the renovation and debut of the DVC buildings. The price is close enough between a DVC studio and a resort room that it doesn't matter to me. We will be a party of 4 with 2 kids and 2 adults. Out last stay at Yacht club, one kid took a bed and one took the fold-down behind the couch...we really liked the kids having their own place to sleep.

Is there any distinct advantage of DVC or resort rooms in amenities, layouts, location, etc? Thanks for the input!
The kids can have their own bed in the DVC rooms, with the pull down bed under the TV and the queen sofa bed. Two bathrooms, one with a shower and sink, the other with a bath, toilet and sink. Some feel that is a waste of space, others like it. Plus the kitchenette. Also, all the studios have a balcony (or patio) whilst the 2nd floor regular rooms don’t.

Have a look at the Allears studio and regular room videos to compare the two.

Weather_Lady

I'd hop on yourfirstvisit.com and check out the floor plans and photo tours for each (small versions here):

th

th

We stayed in a Poly studio a couple of years ago (and LOVED it). The main differences as I remember them are:

1 - Fold-out sofa vs. second queen bed: Since we're a family of four and the kids were just a little too big to enjoy the Murphy bed in the DVC studio, two of us had to sleep on the fold-out. It wasn't bad as fold-outs go, but a bed is always better in my opinion. This was the only downside of a studio for us. We were impressed to find, however, that even with the sofa unfolded, there was ample room to walk around it -- this is rarely the case with DVC studios at other resorts. In fact, even if you use both the Murphy bed and fold-out sofa at the same time, there's plenty of room to walk between everything.
2 - 1.75 baths vs. 1 bath: The second bathroom in the Poly studio (with a fancy oversized shower and sink) was a huge plus for us, since we were all getting ready at the same time every morning and our teen-ish kids are starting to value their privacy. In a standard room, you'd still get double sinks in the bathroom, however, with sufficient elbow room for multiple people to get ready at the same time.
3 - Kitchenette vs. coffeemaker and fridge only: We eat breakfast in the room every morning, so we use the heck out of the studio kitchenette, which offers a fridge, drip coffeemaker, microwave, toaster, extra sink, additional dishes, and a small amount of prep space. In a standard room, you'll have a small coffeemaker and mini-fridge only.
4 - Furniture differences: In a studio, you have the sofa (unless folded out), 2 comfy chairs, a round dining/work table, and a coffee table with storage inside. In a standard room, you've got the daybed, one comfy chair, and a desk/chair. If you're looking for clothing storage, you'll have a dresser and closet in a standard room, and in a studio, you'll have the closet, a drawer under the bed, and the trunk-style coffee table (or, if you live out of packing cubes as we do, there's tons of space under the vanities in each of the two studio bathrooms where clothing can be stored, as well). Whether one of these configurations works better for you than the other depends on your packing style, and how you intend to use the room.
5 - Balcony/Patio: DH and I like to sit outside to enjoy our morning coffee, and with a studio, you have a guaranteed balcony or patio. We absolutely loved ours: we had a standard view, but our room overlooked some beautiful greenery and a scenic walking path. A balcony is still a possibility with a standard room, however -- if you're assigned a room without one, you can always ask the CM at check-in if one is available.

*Note: since you say the price is similar for both, OP, I assume you'd be paying cash if you went with a DVC studio. If, however, you were staying there on points (whether owned or rented), another difference would be that you wouldn't get daily housekeeping, just trash-and-towel service (unless you paid extra, in which case you can get daily housekeeping even on points). This doesn't really impact my family as we pick up after ourselves pretty well and don't mind [sloppily] making our own beds, but to some families, the lack of regular housekeeping is a downside to staying in a DVC studio on points.

Also, note that standard rooms are generally 50 SF smaller than the studios, although the sleeping area is, I think, slightly larger in a standard room (the extra footage in the studio being absorbed - and then some - by the extra bathroom space).

Last edited:

DISR

Original Poster
Thanks. I am deferring the trip for now...was going to go late fall, but it appears there are zero military discounts available on rooms. Don't think I want to pay full price for the current experience there.

Based on the pics, it also looks like the studios sacrifice nearly all storage space for the other amenities they offer. If you had four people with four suitcases, you would be living out of those suitcases. Unless I missed something in the pics, there is very little storage space to unpack.

I keep saying this: although the theming isn't particularly exciting, it is hard to beat the new YC rooms for functionality. The storage and other use of space there is amazing.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks. I am deferring the trip for now...was going to go late fall, but it appears there are zero military discounts available on rooms. Don't think I want to pay full price for the current experience there.

Based on the pics, it also looks like the studios sacrifice nearly all storage space for the other amenities they offer. If you had four people with four suitcases, you would be living out of those suitcases. Unless I missed something in the pics, there is very little storage space to unpack.

I keep saying this: although the theming isn't particularly exciting, it is hard to beat the new YC rooms for functionality. The storage and other use of space there is amazing.
There is a huge drawer under the bed, and the coffee table for storage. But I agree, nothing particularly convenient. The same is true of other studios that sleep 5, like the Beach Club ones.

icc2515

Nope you did not miss it. There is essentially no storage space at the DVC Poly villas. Whoever designed the Poly villas hopefully was fired. You see that first bathroom with the toilet. Well it is so huge that you could add a single bed in there. They could have done some rearranging of space and fit in some dressers. There is the square footage. That being said, it is still the best DVC room on property as far as I am concerned. My opinion only.

nickys

Premium Member
Nope you did not miss it. There is essentially no storage space at the DVC Poly villas. Whoever designed the Poly villas hopefully was fired. You see that first bathroom with the toilet. Well it is so huge that you could add a single bed in there. They could have done some rearranging of space and fit in some dressers. There is the square footage. That being said, it is still the best DVC room on property as far as I am concerned. My opinion only.
Saying there is none is exaggerating somewhat IMO. That under bed drawer is huge and the coffee table chest is big too. Not good for those who can’t bend down though.

icc2515

Saying there is none is exaggerating somewhat IMO.
I said essentially no storage. Sure there is a big drawer under the bed and the rolling table, but I don't want to get on my hands and knees for the bed drawer and the rolling table is usually holding my wife's open suitcase. My suitcase is in the hall on the suitcase stand. I still love the Poly and stay there multiple times a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom