Poll: Attractions in which you think the Disneyland version is superior

Select ONLY the attractions you think have better versions at DISNEYLAND. Select all that apply.

• Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 103 95.4%
  • Haunted Mansion

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Big Thunder Railroad

Votes: 59 54.6%
  • It's a Small World

Votes: 74 68.5%
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • Splash Mountain

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Jungle Cruise

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Space Mountain

Votes: 69 63.9%
  • Autopia/Tomorrowland Speedway

Votes: 53 49.1%

• Total voters

Bairstow

Original Poster
After the Hatbox Ghost was installed, it seems like there's more discussion of which stateside versions of certain attractions are superior.

While the default forum polls aren't the best things fore measuring this kind of sentiment, I thought it might be fun to take a stab at creating one like this.

Just remember, click ALL and AS MANY attractions as you think are better at DISNEYLAND.

DO NOT SELECT the attractions where you prefer the DISNEY WORLD version.

Please participate in this poll ONLY if you have actually experienced these attractions at BOTH parks.

Last edited:

Sage of Time

Pirates and Space.

Pirates is longer, more nuanced, and better maintained.

Space is just more technically advanced with the musical score and better projections. WDW has the better facade and queue, though.

Animaniac93-98

I only picked three rides on that list because I honestly like Jungle Cruise and Small World better in Florida. Same with Space, even in it's sub-par state. I feel about the same with Big Thunder Mountain on both coasts (is it just me or are the cars smaller in California?). I think Buzz in better in California, but no matter what park it's in I think it's a lame ride.

Paris trumps both for BTM, Space and Pirates, which is why it's hard for me to just focus on the American versions.

George Lucas on a Bench

I voted HM. I figure most people will go with WDW MK version, but that's not the reason I voted for DL's, or because of the Hatbox Ghost, or to go against the grain, or because you can watch Fantasmic! from the porch. DL's is better because it doesn't have all the WDW alterations, or the interactive queue and because the walk-through portions ultimately deliver the crushing blow. For me, it makes a huge difference to emerge from the stretching room into that awesome foreboding corridor leading to the unknown. It serves a practical purpose, but like the bayou/cavern scenes in DL's POTC and indeed HM's own stretching rooms, it enhances the experience because the WED guys were geniuses. Basically, you're talking some extra scenes in WDW ride, but cartoon CGI ghosts vs. classic charming mostly unadulterated HM with Thurl Ravenscroft vocal in the corridor of doors and the old house that was around when Walt was alive. So history + comparative lack of alterations + brief but effective walk-through section to round out the experience = better. For me, anyway. A lot of people would even argue that HMH and Hat Box Ghost tip the scale in favor of DL's as well, but I will never go there. Well, HBG certainly doesn't hurt.

Everything else is superior (or at least equal) as far as I'm concerned with the exception of maybe the Jungle Cruise (eh, I prefer DL's, but we all love the oft-referenced "temple scene" at WDW) and Splash Mountain. Splash is very similar, but very different. DL's is a much quicker ride and in that regard as well as the staging/lighting of the thing, kinda more like a FL dark ride (complete with spookiness) mixed with a water ride, whereas WDW's is a slower, brighter cartoon POTC-esque attraction.

George Lucas on a Bench

Tomorrowland Speedway AKA Grand Prix Raceway is junk compared to Autopia, though I know both have many detractors.

I prefer Thunder's layout at DL, awesome new soundtrack and explosion scene, which WDW embarrassingly reopened with an awkward backwards projection effect in place of the cave-in.

Space at WDW certainly has its merits, such as its classic queue line (minus the video games and everything after the tunnels, which was ruined by the refurb), two tracks, the Matterhorn-esque design and the lift hill. It really is a more thrilling ride with a much better layout, in my opinion. DL's mostly just glides around. But DL's just feels grander somehow, and I guess it is. Their queue doesn't have the music or the space windows that look like the ending of Wrath of Khan, but it does have that big impressive loading room (DL's closest equivalent to the WDW lift hill scene, just not on the ride?), a symphonic soundtrack, a smoother layout and ride vehicles compatible with tall people. While you have to walk up to the roof of an 80s mall to get in it, you don't have to screw around on moving walkways where people look at themselves on TV screens to get out of it. Eh, I'll go with DL's, but WDW is still awesome.

With "small world", I feel like you just can't improve on perfection. DL's has that wonderful palace exterior and is basically the original ride with some modifications. Perfect, couldn't be done better. WDW's isn't bad, though.

Buzz isn't a great ride either way, but at least DL has the guns on a cord.

No one should vote in favor of DCA's Tower of Terror.

NiarrNDisney

I voted for it's a small world for its beautiful queue and its recent update! I also voted for Pirates to the Caribbean
because the ride is way better than WDW's version though Florida wins for its queue.

Figments Friend

I love Disneyland's version of 'Big Thunder Mountain'.
Love the queue, and how the minute you cross under the tracks you are right in the middle of all the action even before reaching the boarding station.
WDW's version you feel very removed from the action until you go downstairs and actually reach the trains.
The recent refurb of DL's BTMR, and the new additions in the finale turned out great.
Absolutely love everything about this Attraction.

'Pirates' is of course vastly superior in DL when compared to WDW's.
More enveloping, from start to finish.
No contest.

I confess i have a real soft spot in my heart for the Original 'Splash Mountain' at DL.
WDW's may have the better Show scenes, but there is something unique and special about 'the Original'.
Another plus is the logs move much faster at DL and the big plunge into the Briar Patch also feels far faster due to their unique shape.
WDW's is much tamer, in my opinion.
I consider WDW's version the better of the two Show-vise...but have a real personal fondness for DL's version.

'Small World' has the superior Show facade outside, but i prefer WDW's interior show and settings much more.
'Mansion' i prefer in Florida as well ( building, interior Show, overally complete setting 'feel' in and out). The only minus if the silly 'interactive queue'.

'Jungle Cruise' is about equal to me on both Coasts...although of course there is a certain thrill experiencing 'the Original' at Disneyland.
WDW's has the cool interior temple scenes, but i enjoy both equally. Cannot really choose one of the other.
'Buzz Astro Blasters' is also about the same to me on both coasts.

'Autopia' has a real charm to it once you get rolling in your vehicle.
I enjoy it and find it a relaxing thing to do when the sun is setting.
The fumes are also nice for helping to wake you up when you start to feel the 'mid-day slump'....ha ha..!

;)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I voted DL for Pirates, IASW, Autopia, Buzz, BTMRR and Space. I haven't experienced the new addition to DL's haunted mansion so I'm not voting there.

Animaniac93-98

One of the reasons I prefer Small World in Florida is the lack of Disney characters and the America scene.

But I'll take DLR's Small World Holiday over all other versions I've been on.

dweezil78

We win in DL with Pirates by a long shot. I feel like almost everything else can be argued with various pros and cons with the exception of Tower of Terror which WDW is the clear winner on.

Also not on this list is Tiki Room which DL wins by default because our fountain still works. ;)

I think to some Small World may seem like an obvious win for DL because of the facade... But I've always felt the Florida version feels a lot more alive or cohesive for lack of a better term due to the fact that the show building and sets are flooded unlike ours which is only a flume with dry sets. WDW also has a far better finale IMO.

wdrive

I voted for:

Pirates - I don't really need to explain why

Thunder Mountain - The recent projection effects installed at Disneyland win this for me

It's a Small World - The facade although I think WDW's 'flooded' scenes are better as opposed to Disneyland's canal. Also WDW has no characters which gives it another point but Disneyland wins based on the facade.

Buzz Lightyear - The more movable guns and I feel the Disneyland version is just better executed.

Splash Mountain - I prefer the seating configuration at Disneyland and the larger number of animatronics

Jungle Cruise - This one is tight but I gave it to Disneyland since it has had more recent updates and I feel like it is better maintained.

Space Mountain - WDW's needs a long update/refurb like Disneyland got a few years ago.

Autopia/Speedway - Both are pretty boring but Disneyland's is less boring.

Slipknot

Pirates.
Buzz.
Thunder Mountain.
Space Mountain.

I would have put IASW but I've only seen the Holiday version at Disneyland.

I probably would say Splash too but it was closed during my only visit last January.

JediMasterMatt

Of the attractions in the poll, only Mansion, Splash, and ToT don't get my Disneyland Resort is better vote.

For the part, Anaheim's attraction upkeep and maintenance is usually better when comparing attractions - so, for me, this type of a poll is hard. Not just do the show effects factor in; but, the smaller things like - lighting, sound balance, and yes... cleanliness. Usually, Orlando's attractions suffer from a lack of TLC and it shows.

Mansion is better in Orlando as it gets special attention and it's maintenance since the 2007 refurb has been impeccable (especially by TDO standards).

Splash in Orlando has better executed show scenes even though Anaheim has more and this is one attraction where maintenance at both is a toss up.

Tower of Terror is better in Orlando. The 5th dimension set piece is additive and the exterior is better than the value engineered Tower on the other coast.

Of note, I still like Anaheim's "iasw" better than Orlando. I love the show building and the lead into and out of the attraction compared to Orlando's. The toon's being added should be a negative; but, they were done well enough to fit in with Mary's style - so, it gets a pass from me. Anaheim's flume also winds a bit more than Orlando's so it hides more of the set pieces and saves them for the reveal. Maintenance is another big winner on this attraction at DL - working AA's, music balance, and no layers of dust and mold. Just about the only thing Orlando's has over DL is the flooded rooms; but, I do like how close you are to the sets in Anaheim. Orlando's sets all seem so far away and even though the theme should make you feel "small" it always seems to make MK's feel like you are in a big warehouse.

ght

I voted for Pirates and Autopia which to me are clear winners for DL.

Most of the others, while I may prefer one coast to the other, I can understand the arguments for either was well.

For instance while DL's IASW clearly has the better facade, I prefer the flooded rooms of the WDW ride. While DL's Haunted Mansion doesn't have the often-hated interactive queue, for me WDW benefits from not spending 5 months of the year with an overlay I hate (as I have mentioned once or twice before). Also, I may be one of the few people who likes the stationary guns on Buzz because it adds a little bit of challenge to the game.

habuma

My votes:
  • Pirates is better in DL for all of the obvious reasons mentioned by others
  • Haunted Mansion is mostly a toss-up for me, but I do like the pre-load hallway better and the recent addition of HBG is a huge plus. I picked DL's HM.
  • Big Thunder is also mostly a toss-up for me. I've never seen the new explosion scene in person (will do so later this week, though), but from what YouTube has shown me I chose DL's BTM for this one feature. (That said, the queue for WDW's BTM is great with all of the signs and all.)
  • IASW is a toss-up. I'm not sure how I feel about the characters in DL's version, but I suppose WDW wins points for not having them. But DL wins points for the facade. Since there wasn't a choice to select a tie, I left it unchecked, giving the points to WDW.
  • Buzz: DL's version wins for the fact that I have more freedom when aiming the gun.
  • Splash Mtn: I've never ridden DL's version (hope to later this week), so I can't say. Gave WDW the points for this one.
  • Tower of Terror: I agree that WDW's is better (so it got my vote), but I actually kinda like the mirror effect in DCA's version.
  • Jungle Cruise: I don't remember DL's version that well (odd, since it was only 2 years ago), but I don't remember it being dramatically better or worse. I really like the entrance facade for DL's version better, but I'm more familiar with WDW's version. Mostly a toss-up, so I gave WDW the vote.
  • Space Mountain: I've only ever ridden DL's version when it was with the Ghost Galaxy overlay, so it's difficult to say much about the ride music or experience in its natural setting. But the fact that I can sit next to my daughter and not behind her with my hands on her shoulder to make sure she doesn't fly out (at her request) gives DL's version my vote.
  • Autopia/Speedway: Clear vote for Autopia. I'm not a fan of either, but I'd be sad if Autopia went away. Speedway, on the other hand, should be demolished and the vast space used for something less smelly.

dweezil78

DL's Big Thunder may have the new explosion scene, but we still don't have this... :D Also, I really dig the lighting of WDW's at night. Too hard to call for me.

ctp319319SMALL.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom