Polar Patios and Cabanas Increase After Refurb

ToTBellHop

I think these 2 parks are cheap compared to Disney. Seaworld offer cheap annual passes and offers and Universal used to a lot of Pepsi offers on annual passes (not sure if these are still offered) All the extras like Cabanas are not required for a good time. I have never even thought of getting one as I am never sat down for long and I don't have kids so don't need place to chill out other than a seat when I grab a drink. Clearly has found a section to milk which is what businesses do.
Until you get into the parks. I found Universal's food and souvenir prices to be MUCH higher than Disney's.

uklad79

Until you get into the parks. I found Universal's food and souvenir prices to be MUCH higher than Disney's.

I think Universal want to push people in to the deal deal so they hiked prices to make it seem like good value to eat bland stodge. Seaworld's food I think costs a little more but is far better than most Disney counter service food which in many places has been de-flavored and dumbed down to make it suitable for people who think McD's is a gourmet meal.

Flight Safety

Hotel pools and water parks are for different things. If you are interested in a lazy swim and relaxing in the sun, go to the hotel pool. If you are looking for slides, games, and thrills with water involved, go to a water park. Is that actually hard for people to grasp? :shrug:

Completely agree! The OP I was referring to was comparing them in the context of one versus the other. As in why go to the water park when you can go to the pool. Im not much of a "pool" fan to begin with. I have one in my back yard, so when visiting WDW I have no interest in spending time at one filled with tons of other people. But I completely agree with you.

uklad79

Completely agree! The OP I was referring to was comparing them in the context of one versus the other. As in why go to the water park when you can go to the pool. Im not much of a "pool" fan to begin with. I have one in my back yard, so when visiting WDW I have no interest in spending time at one filled with tons of other people. But I completely agree with you.

Exactly why go travel all the way to WDW to go to a hotel pool. The waterparks are a day out and the poster was making out like they are the same. Disney's waterparks are an experience and they are the reason I don't go to Wet & WIld because that kind of waterpark can be found anywhere.

I have a pool but I also visit a great little waterpark down in Dubai because it's not the same as being in my pool.

devoy1701

only been to BB once...and that was with a free promotional ticket.

Thank goodness I didn't actaully waste money on my admission. You guys can have your water parks and $300 Cabanas. :lol:

Biff215

Cabana's at Hershey Park's waterpark area went for $300 last summer.

I was just about to post the same thing. We gave one serious thought last summer until I saw the price. They're nice at Hershey, but the Boardwalk area is hardly a water park.

I can understand the need a little more in WDW, and $300 is a lot easier for some families to swallow when they are spending thousands on their vacation already. As others have said, you can't really blame Disney for capitalizing on an easy money maker that must be in demand.

PeoplemoverTTA

There is a certain base level of experience that ought to be offerred to every guest, but I don't at all mind offering additional things beyond that to those willing to pay. Backstage tours, character meals, and cabanas at water parks and pools are, IMO, great examples of things Disney can offer and charge extra for that don't bother the guest who chooses not to pay for them.

When they start offering those who pay extra shorter waiting times, exclusive access or reserved seating to shows, and longer hours in the parks, I think they tread on dangerous grounds. Note that the last two already happen, however (EMH and Fantasmic dinner packages) and have not caused much of an uproar amongst guests who don't pay for them. Extra fastpasses for those staying on-site, with even more fastpasses for those staying in Deluxe resorts on-site...we'll see how that goes.

Great post - this really sums up the perspective many of us have regarding some of the changes and "premium" upgrades. I like spending a little extra for a "premium" experience like tours or Dining with an Imagineer - they add some extra magic and uniqueness to my vacation.

But once those things start to impede "everyday guests'" enjoyment of the parks, I'm going to have an issue (such as how I perceive the Small World changes, but we'll see once they're implemented).

rob0519

$150 to $213? A 30% increase with no change in services offered is extreme. Disney is certainly separating their guests into the "haves" and "have nots". We scrimped to pay for a cruise and a cabana on Castaway Cay, but an additional $300 a day for Typhoon Lagoon is out of our price range.

lebeau

I found the counter service to be about the same at Universal and Disney. Table service was undeniably cheaper at Universal. Souvenirs will depend on what you are buying. Wands are expensive for sure. But we got some large stuffed animals from the Minions Mayhem gift shop that were about half what I expected them to cost based on Disney prices.

ABQ

necroposter_zpsf09ff7ad.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just spoke with a Walt Disney World Sales Rep regarding the Polar Patios at Blizzard Beach and the Cabanas at Typhoon Lagoon.

After the refurbs there are a few changes coming:

1) Price are going up.
- Off Season: Patios/Cabanas up from $150 to $213
- On Season: Patios/Cabanas up from $250 to $300

Same service, no change in number of waters or members allowed, just more money for the same size Patio/Cabana. Lucky us.

2) You can no longer reserve a Patio/Cabana and pay for it at the park on the day of arrival. If you reserve a Patio/Cabana you have to pay for everything up front.
- You can still cancel up to one day before arrival and get a refund, but be prepared to shell out the full amount upon reservation.

They said they changed the reservations process because too many people were holding patios/cabanas and not cancelling until the last minute and too many other people were waiting to reserve them.
But then I wonder why they just don't have you provide a credit card number to hold the patio/cabana?

They have already implemented the change with dining reservations. You have to provide a card number to make the reservation now....so they told me....so why not just provide the card number and then charge the card a fee one week out. Sometimes you are still saving up your money for a vacation and may not have it until you get closer to the date of arrival. But if you wait until it is closer to your trip you may not be able to reserve a patio/cabana.

I think this needs to be fixed.

It's the float same reason DDP became a pay in full at reservation time, Disney collects interest on the cabana payments, They could have simply taken a card # to guarantee but then WDW does not collect interest on the float.

Sadly WDW has become all about the money and guest experience be dammed

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Quality is higher at TPWMNBN so it balances out bought Minion sippers for the kids (yes they had free refills in the park) nearly a year later they STILL look like new even though they are still being used every day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom