Polar Patios and Cabanas Increase After Refurb

TyrantBoss

Original Poster
I just spoke with a Walt Disney World Sales Rep regarding the Polar Patios at Blizzard Beach and the Cabanas at Typhoon Lagoon.

After the refurbs there are a few changes coming:

1) Price are going up.
- Off Season: Patios/Cabanas up from $150 to $213
- On Season: Patios/Cabanas up from $250 to $300

Same service, no change in number of waters or members allowed, just more money for the same size Patio/Cabana. Lucky us.

2) You can no longer reserve a Patio/Cabana and pay for it at the park on the day of arrival. If you reserve a Patio/Cabana you have to pay for everything up front.
- You can still cancel up to one day before arrival and get a refund, but be prepared to shell out the full amount upon reservation.

They said they changed the reservations process because too many people were holding patios/cabanas and not cancelling until the last minute and too many other people were waiting to reserve them.
But then I wonder why they just don't have you provide a credit card number to hold the patio/cabana?

They have already implemented the change with dining reservations. You have to provide a card number to make the reservation now....so they told me....so why not just provide the card number and then charge the card a fee one week out. Sometimes you are still saving up your money for a vacation and may not have it until you get closer to the date of arrival. But if you wait until it is closer to your trip you may not be able to reserve a patio/cabana.

I think this needs to be fixed.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I just spoke with a Walt Disney World Sales Rep regarding the Polar Patios at Blizzard Beach and the Cabanas at Typhoon Lagoon.

1) Price are going up.

Same service, no change in number of waters or members allowed, just more money for the same size Patio/Cabana. Lucky us.

2) You can no longer reserve a Patio/Cabana and pay for it at the park on the day of arrival. If you reserve a Patio/Cabana you have to pay for everything up front.
- You can still cancel up to one day before arrival and get a refund, but be prepared to shell out the full amount upon reservation.

They said they changed the reservations process because too many people were holding patios/cabanas and not cancelling until the last minute and too many other people were waiting to reserve them.
But then I wonder why they just don't have you provide a credit card number to hold the patio/cabana?

They have already implemented the change with dining reservations. You have to provide a card number to make the reservation now....so they told me....so why not just provide the card number and then charge the card a fee one week out. Sometimes you are still saving up your money for a vacation and may not have it until you get closer to the date of arrival. But if you wait until it is closer to your trip you may not be able to reserve a patio/cabana.

What A Rip!!!!!

zooey

Vote with your wallet. Tell them these prices are outrageous and refuse to pay. Disney will continue to toe the line until it finally crosses it and people stop paying.

Pioneer Hall

Vote with your wallet. Tell them these prices are outrageous and refuse to pay. Disney will continue to toe the line until it finally crosses it and people stop paying.

While I won't pay that since I don't see the value, there is obviously a reason they are raising those prices. My guess is that demand for the cabanas was off the charts at the prices they were charging. If demand wasn't there they wouldn't be able to command such a large increase. I have a feeling these will still sell out every day (or nearly every day) even at these prices.

alissafalco

1) Price are going up.

They are also actually charging you the full amount on your credit card for the dinner shows and royal table reservations. I know this for a fact because they charged my credit card the full amount when I made the reservations months before I even went. As for the cabanas I would never spend that kind of money to reserve a cabana nor would I waste my time at any of the water parks anyway. Just use your hotel pool

zooey

While I won't pay that since I don't see the value, there is obviously a reason they are raising those prices. My guess is that demand for the cabanas was off the charts at the prices they were charging. If demand wasn't there they wouldn't be able to command such a large increase. I have a feeling these will still sell out every day (or nearly every day) even at these prices.

They probably will, but then WDW continues to marginalize its guests based on monetary means. This isn't new, exactly, but it's getting worse as far as the kind of experience you can pay extra to have at a Disney theme park. Meaning that WDW will no longer be as egalitarian as it once was when you step through the gate.

Pioneer Hall

They probably will, but then WDW continues to marginalize its guests based on monetary means. This isn't new, exactly, but it's getting worse as far as the kind of experience you can pay extra to have at a Disney theme park. Meaning that WDW will no longer be as egalitarian as it once was when you step through the gate.

Personally (without getting too far into it as is happening in the Fastpass thread), I have no problem with guests getting premium experiences in certain areas when paying more. My day in a water park will not change because someone wants to shell out $300 bucks for the privilege to be in a cabana. The prices on these things are driven by supply and demand, mainly because they are basically pure profit. If Disney struggled to sell them at $150, then they wouldn't have raised their prices (they probably would have started to discount them). The limited amounts of cabanas will not effect the guests, and those people willing to pay for them can. What would affect people more is if these were $50 dollars and their was pandemonium trying to book them. Then it would go from a premium experience to one that a lot of people want and then there is disdain when someone can't have it. In this regard, I don't see a problem.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

There is a certain base level of experience that ought to be offerred to every guest, but I don't at all mind offering additional things beyond that to those willing to pay. Backstage tours, character meals, and cabanas at water parks and pools are, IMO, great examples of things Disney can offer and charge extra for that don't bother the guest who chooses not to pay for them.

When they start offering those who pay extra shorter waiting times, exclusive access or reserved seating to shows, and longer hours in the parks, I think they tread on dangerous grounds. Note that the last two already happen, however (EMH and Fantasmic dinner packages) and have not caused much of an uproar amongst guests who don't pay for them. Extra fastpasses for those staying on-site, with even more fastpasses for those staying in Deluxe resorts on-site...we'll see how that goes.

Brian Noble

When they start offering those who pay extra shorter waiting times, exclusive access or reserved seating to shows, and longer hours in the parks, I think they tread on dangerous grounds. Note that the last two already happen, however
So does the first. There are now two levels of "VIP tour". The more expensive level gets you a plaid who will ID you into any fast pass line at any time.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Adventure Island and Water Country USA jacked there prices double mid season last year. This move does not shock me whatsoever.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
So does the first. There are now two levels of "VIP tour". The more expensive level gets you a plaid who will ID you into any fast pass line at any time.

Good point. It's done in so limited a fashion that people rarely notice, but it is there.

Flight Safety

nor would I waste my time at any of the water parks anyway. Just use your hotel pool

Why waste your time traveling to WDW? Just use your local six flags :shrug:

Hahaha! I second that. Most people who say stuff like "why not just go to the hotel pool" have never been to the water parks. I've brought a number of people to the water parks that said they didn't want to go, blah blah blah, and then after going its all they want to do! They're so much fun. Hotel pool? Right. :ROFLOL:

uklad79

Hahaha! I second that. Most people who say stuff like "why not just go to the hotel pool" have never been to the water parks. I've brought a number of people to the water parks that said they didn't want to go, blah blah blah, and then after going its all they want to do! They're so much fun. Hotel pool? Right. :ROFLOL:

Nothing comes close to them. I will often spend more days in the waterparks than the themeparks. Typhoon Lagoon is so richly themed and relaxing.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Hotel pools and water parks are for different things. If you are interested in a lazy swim and relaxing in the sun, go to the hotel pool. If you are looking for slides, games, and thrills with water involved, go to a water park. Is that actually hard for people to grasp? :shrug:

raymusiccity

I agree wholeheartedly !

Pool = relaxation Water Park = slides, wave pools and excitement.

People love slamming 'Disney' over the price of their tickets, or other activities. As pointed out earlier, Hershey Park Cabanas were also going for $300.

You can't go to SeaWorld; Universal, etc. without dropping serious change.

uklad79

You can't go to SeaWorld; Universal, etc. without dropping serious change.

I think these 2 parks are cheap compared to Disney. Seaworld offer cheap annual passes and offers and Universal used to a lot of Pepsi offers on annual passes (not sure if these are still offered) All the extras like Cabanas are not required for a good time. I have never even thought of getting one as I am never sat down for long and I don't have kids so don't need place to chill out other than a seat when I grab a drink. Clearly has found a section to milk which is what businesses do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom