Pokemon Go in Disney World

Free is a relative term, when you wind up being one of the morons that falls into a lagoon, lake, walks into a wall, hits other people, etc...

Your sales pitches are weak for Pokemon... If you want to play, stay out of the way of guests who want to enjoy their vacations without the technology constantly in their hands.
Well, considering the 9.5 million DAILY players of the game, the fact that a few of them will fall into a lake is expected. It's just your perception and anecdotal "evidence" that makes you think everyone is tripping over themselves because of this game. Also, my sales pitch ISN"T weak for Pokemon, not aren't.

Stitch_Fan_NJ

Most of us are...

We don't have cell phones strapped to us hunting down things... We actually interact with people.... Foreign concept for a bunch of people...
It's ok that you don't understand it. FYI if you think there is no face to face interaction amongst players you have no idea what you're talking about. Anyway have a good night everyone I'm out :joyfull:

mousehockey37

Again, why pay the big money to go to Disney if you want to do that... Seems like a waste to me. Then again, if people wanna blow their money on a vacation and "catch" these things... more power to them, like I said earlier... I'll help them reach those ones in the lagoon...

Lirael

Personally I'm happy there's Pokemon Go in the parks. I'm going solo to wdw soon and having the prospect of playing that while I wait in long lines alone makes me happy. Theming is nice and all, but after 10 minutes standing next to the same spot, said theming may get boring, even more when alone*. Ditto for waiting for shows to start.

*"just interact with other people!" that's not always so easy. I've done this a few years ago, and a lot of groups don't enjoy random strangers trying to butt into their conversations.

cdeev8690

honestly, whatever distracts people from their touring plan helps me. While you're over there catching another Rattata, I'm jumping in line for Toy Story Mania

I've played the game and while fun for a time, I live in a city and I can't be distracted walking around with my phone out trying to catch Pokemon while also trying to dodge oncoming cars, bikes, and humans. It just loses it's appeal after a few days. It's an incredibly cool idea for a game and getting high school and middle school kids out of their homes over their summer vacation (even though they're still looking down at their phones), is pretty brilliant. Some kids have said that they've been rather depressed but this game gave them a reason to get out of their rooms and out of their homes. I'm down with it but not while you're supposed to be on vacation.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Personally I'm happy there's Pokemon Go in the parks. I'm going solo to wdw soon and having the prospect of playing that while I wait in long lines alone makes me happy. Theming is nice and all, but after 10 minutes standing next to the same spot, said theming may get boring, even more when alone*. Ditto for waiting for shows to start.

*"just interact with other people!" that's not always so easy. I've done this a few years ago, and a lot of groups don't enjoy random strangers trying to butt into their conversations.

I am glad there are people like you that play this game. You seem to be consciously aware that there are others around you and to not walk around blindly with the phone out in front of you. If everyone were like that I would not have a problem with it. :)

And I agree with you. People don't generally like strangers butting into their conversations. I know I don't like it. I am polite about it, but I subtly give hints that I am not into a "meeting people" mood. :D

KINGLOUIS1993

In a way it is no different to any other App, it is only the same as someone snapchatting, facebooking or even using the WDW app. Obviously looking straight down at your phone and walking around is an accident waiting to happen but not everyone does it that way. It is a good game and I love it but I can understand why others may not, I grew up with Pokémon so for me it takes me back. In my opinion its like most things, a minority will act in such a away that a group is generalised.

Phonedave

I'd like to know if there's actual REAL geo-caching in the parks, not this pokemon thing.

Not any more.

There used to be caches on property - both physical and virtual. There were some incidents a long time ago (geeze, 10 years or more if I recall) where some guests saw somebody retreiving and replacing a physical cache and through it was somone hading a bomb, or a spy drop, or something like that. In response, cast members pulled all of the physical caches. There were a number of them, oneout side of the international gateway, one at the DTD bus stops, one in the rafters of the stave church in Norway, etc.

Groundspeak (the "owner" of geocaching) has changed the rules of where a cache can be located in order to be listed on their website. A cache (physical or virtual) cannot be located anywhere where somone needs to pay admission to get to it. So there will be no new caches at WDW. The virtual ones were grandfathered in, and as far as I know, are still active.

-dave

mousehockey37

Well, Nintendo's stock dropped today on the poor performance of the games sales. Nintendo's last ditch efforts at staying relevant in the gaming world are apparently failing...

Guess the game will go away soon enough then!

imperius

Well, Nintendo's stock dropped today on the poor performance of the games sales. Nintendo's last ditch efforts at staying relevant in the gaming world are apparently failing...

Lol this is so wrong. It has nothing to do with "poor sales" and everything to do with Nintendo is only a part owner of Pokemon themselves and don't have much profit chances from the game. Good try though.

ChristianG

There's this misconception about Pokemon Go that to play it you must be staring at your screen constantly. It's not true. It's the same as any other app. You get a notification, you look at your screen to react to said notification. Whenever I'm out and see people on Pokemon Go, nobody's ever walking carelessly or getting in everyone else's way. Sure, there are people who HAVE been careless with the app, but it's really not fair to portray the entirety of the people who play this game as this zombie-esque character that I see people complain about.

I often notice a lot more grown adults glued to their phones than people my age, yet I only hear complaints about the game from grumpy adults on Facebook who, themselves, have probably carelessly bumped into people while creating these posts. If people want to catch Pokemon at Disney while they're walking across the park to their next destination, as long as they're careful, I see no problem with it. The game will die out soon, anyways. Give it 'til Pokemon Sun and Moon come out in November. Miitomo was very popular for two weeks. Now I don't know a single person who uses it anymore.

Cowboy Steve

I've had zero problems with selfie sticks to. .
You are lucky. Back before they were added to the 'prohibited' list at Disney parks, the dang things were everywhere. I think I might still have a picture from MK - one of the popular walkway photo spots near the castle. We had some fellow Disney fanatics take a group picture of our family (we did the same for them) with the castle In the background... and all you could see to either side of us were people with selfie sticks. They were sticking up all over... I mean ALL over. I couldn't even crop them all out as one was directly over my mother's shoulder.

As long as they are considerate I certainly don't mind other people in my pictures - it is Disney. They are just trying to do the same thing we are. Other people in your picture - not a distraction as long as they aren't in front of you. Other people's phone 3' over their heads, or over your head so they can get the angle they want? Very distracting. There were people using them responsibly. But unfortunately there were just as many that were not. Had to chuckle when riding Expedition Everest we spotted a couple selfie sticks along the tracks with the phones still attached. I use the old fashioned selfie stick - my own arm! lol

We have been using the Photo Pass for several years now... and I have to say while expensive it has been pretty cool! Luck has been on our side as the photographers tend to do a great job of minimizing the passersby getting in the pictures. One poor girl ended up taking about 12 shots before she was satisfied lol. Gotta love someone who enjoys their job!

James J

In the Parks
No

100% wrong. In terms of 'sales' or downloads as it's actually free, it's broken records for the most downloaded App. The reason for Nintendo's shares dropping is that they said that the huge success of the game would have a limited impact on profits, as they didn't develop it. Even with the decline, their shares are still up 60% since Pokemon Go was released. See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36880779

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Pokemon aside I can see this being a big hit with the retro crowd
mini-nes.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom