Pokemon Go at the Disney Parks

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Nintendo and Niantic launched their new "Pokemon Go" mobile phone game today with massive success of the "So many people getting the app that the servers keep crashing" degree. Geocaching type stuff is a big part of the game with Landmarks, interesting points, or just arbitrary things being marked as PokeStops where you can stock up on free items or as Pokemon Gyms.

With Disney being such a high-traffic zone, thought a thread for compiling a list of PokeStops/Gyms on property would be a good idea. Feel free to chime in and I'll keep updating the list, I'm mostly basing this on what I can find on social media (Epcot being the most well documented park for this so far)

Magic Kingdom
Gyms: Cinderella Castle, Pirates of the Caribbean, Main Street Train Station, Haunted Mansion
PokeStops: Partners Statue, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (queue), Pirates of the Caribbean (Jail scene), Space Mountain

Epcot
Gyms: Entry gates, Spaceship Earth, Japan Pavilion, Germany Pavilion, Mexico Pavilion
PokeStops: Spaceship Earth (Gogo Boots Lady!), Fountain of Nations, MouseGear, Universe of Energy, Club Cool, Innoventions East, at least four Millennium Torches, Odyssey, Test Track, The Land (entry sign, Soarin' entrance, the balloons), Wonders of Life (Base of the removed DNA Tower), Germany Pavilion (St. George slaying Dragon), Morocco Pavilion (Towers, the Camel, one of the mosaics), Japan Pavilion (Bonsai, Samurai statue, Tsunami painting), Canada Pavilion (Mill Stage, Victoria Gardens), China Pavilion (Gates, Terracotta soldier minatures, bamboo signage), Norway Pavilion (Stave Church, the waterfall)

Animal Kingdom
Gyms: Expedition Everest
PokeStops: Tree of Life
Oddities: For some reason, Little Red and Camp Minnie Mickey's old fishing hole vignette are still on the maps as Pokestops despite them having been long gone/rendered inaccessible

Hollywood Studios
Gyms: The Great Movie Ride, Tower of Terror
PokeStops: Superstar Theater (still labeled as American Idol Experience),MuppetVision 3D giftshop

Disney Springs

Pokestops: World of Disney (Stitch entrance)
Oddities: Pleasure Island sign that's been long gone listed as a Pokestop

Last edited:

No Name

Oh wow, I had no clue this came out today! Thank you for informing/reminding me. I love this type of stuff (geocaching, treasure hunting) and I love Pokemon so this is right up my alley. A match made in heaven.

Ingress is made by these same people and I enjoyed that for quite some time.

I'll maybe think of spots in WDW later and edit this post, but right now, I am going to go download the app!

BrittanyRose428

Am I the only one who has mixed feelings about using apps like this in the parks? I know the Pokemon Go app is really cool, and I have no issues with using it around my neighborhood, but when I'm on vacation, especially in Disney where I'm supposed to feel like I'm somewhere else, I don't like having to look at my phone all the time. When I lived in Orlando and went to the parks all the time I wouldn't mind this, but now that I'm only there now and then on vacation I wouldn't want to be glued to my phone... and I wouldn't want the people I'm with to be glued to their phones necessarily either.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Am I the only one who has mixed feelings about using apps like this in the parks? I know the Pokemon Go app is really cool, and I have no issues with using it around my neighborhood, but when I'm on vacation, especially in Disney where I'm supposed to feel like I'm somewhere else, I don't like having to look at my phone all the time. When I lived in Orlando and went to the parks all the time I wouldn't mind this, but now that I'm only there now and then on vacation I wouldn't want to be glued to my phone... and I wouldn't want the people I'm with to be glued to their phones necessarily either.
Oh yeah I definitley agree that if you don't go to the parks often, you should save the game for home, but if you're a local and have done everything there a million times before, then this is something you should definitley check out if you want to kill time before a fastpass and have already done SotMK.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Not a Disney tip but I gave my phone to my kids as we were running errands today and they were catching Pokemon from the back seat. Once you tap on a pokemon to catch it you can move as far as you want and it won't disengage. Same with Poke Stops. Don't know about gyms yet.
I know that pokemon encounters won't disengage but both pokestops and gyms have for me. I also learned that if you are moving faster than 20mph then the distance you travel won't count towards incubating eggs, so you can't easily hatch them by riding in the car.

trr1

Nintendo and Niantic launched their new "Pokemon Go" mobile phone game today with massive success of the "So many people getting the app that the servers keep crashing" degree. Geocaching type stuff is a big part of the game with Landmarks, interesting points, or just arbitrary things being marked as PokeStops where you can stock up on free items or as Pokemon Gyms.

With Disney being such a high-traffic zone, thought a thread for compiling a list of PokeStops/Gyms on property would be a good idea. Feel free to chime in and I'll keep updating the list, I'm mostly basing this on what I can find on social media (Epcot being the most well documented park for this so far)

Magic Kingdom
Gyms: Cinderella Castle, Pirates of the Caribbean, Main Street Train Station
PokeStops: Partners Statue

Epcot
Gyms: Entry gates, Spaceship Earth, Japan Pavilion, Germany Pavilion, Mexico Pavilion
PokeStops: Spaceship Earth (Gogo Boots Lady!), Fountain of Nations, MouseGear, Universe of Energy, Club Cool, Innoventions East, at least four Millennium Torches, Odyssey, Test Track, The Land (entry sign, Soarin' entrance, the balloons), Wonders of Life (Base of the removed DNA Tower), Germany Pavilion (St. George slaying Dragon), Morocco Pavilion (Towers, the Camel, one of the mosaics), Japan Pavilion (Bonsai, Samurai statue, Tsunami painting), Canada Pavilion (Mill Stage, Victoria Gardens), China Pavilion (Gates, Terracotta soldier minatures, bamboo signage), Norway Pavilion (Stave Church, the waterfall)

Animal Kingdom
Gyms: Expedition Everest
PokeStops: Tree of Life
Oddities: For some reason, Little Red and Camp Minnie Mickey's old fishing hole vignette are still on the maps as Pokestops despite them having been long gone/rendered inaccessible

Hollywood Studios

Disney Springs

Oddities: Pleasure Island sign that's been long gone listed as a Pokestop

Have you seen any at Universal Orlando yet?

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Have you seen any at Universal Orlando yet?
It generally seems that if it's somewhere with high traffic, there's probably gonna be PokeStops. A lot of the PokeStop database seems to be based on the developer's older geocaching-based game Ingress.

Karakasa

Amusingly, there's a gym in the middle of Kilimanjaro Safaris where the trucks never actually go near (at least, I think? I was too busy taking pictures of actual real animals to check and that's what one of the cast members said), that has a Rhyhorn as the defending Pokemon... It also seems Eevees are all over AK too- likely a coincidence. If only there were Aerodactyls in Dinoland... :p Also as I mentioned earlier, over the past two days there have been about five different cast members who knew about it as well when my sister brought it up!

Given I'm on an extended trip (10 days!) I figure I can use some of one day to go walking around a park. Probably Epcot given I'm at Boardwalk right now. But yeah I agree, if someone's only got a few days, best to not use the app. Otherwise I just see it as a sort of alternative to stuff like Wizards of the Magic Kingdom and such.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom