Points Season costs for special events like MK 40th or EPCOT 35th

Janir

Original Poster
Trying to get some sort of rough estimate of points for a 2021 MK 50th Trip plan.

Has anyone with a DVC membership used their points for a trip during say the Magic Kingdom's 40th birthday time period of Oct 1st week ? Do you remember the points categories that time period fell under?

Trying to do an estimate of needed points for a trip for the MK 50th.(10 days around Oct 1st) It will be my 50th birthday and a good friend's 50th birthday's that year as well as my friend's niece's 12th just the day before so we got plenty to celebrate. Wife and I are planning on taking him, his sister and his niece with us that year. Looks like I will need a 2 bedroom unit at my home resort of Copper Creek, unless I can figure a way to comfortably get 5 people into a 1 bedroom. I'm just estimating right now off of 2020 charts and assuming our entire block of time as Primere season costs. Even with banking borrowing, I'm gonna have to get a bunch more CCV points for that year. Hopefully via rentals but that's another hurdle right now. I plan to book my home resort since I get 11 month booking window there and I'm assuming that getting a 7 moth windows anywhere else may be harder so I'd rather have the more assured booking ready to go. I can always switch later if it finally benefits us.

I'm just trying to get a better estimate of points and costs right now so I can help everyone involved plan and save as needed. We might cut our DVC portion to a shorter amount of days as we are planning some Universal days to start and we could stay off Disney for those days pretty easily if it costs me less. That has the potential to make Magical Express of less use as we'd have to forgo it going into Orlando, which would suck but not the end of the world. I'll ask that as another question later.

SOooo, anyone with DVC point experience could possibly tell me what my season expectations should be for a MK birthday week might look like? Right now I'm assuming the worst case, but would like some general guidance if that assumption would be warranted or if there are other mitigating circumstances I'm not aware of.
Thanks all!

nickys

Premium Member
When you look at the point
Trying to get some sort of rough estimate of points for a 2021 MK 50th Trip plan.

Has anyone with a DVC membership used their points for a trip during say the Magic Kingdom's 40th birthday time period of Oct 1st week ? Do you remember the points categories that time period fell under?

Trying to do an estimate of needed points for a trip for the MK 50th.(10 days around Oct 1st) It will be my 50th birthday and a good friend's 50th birthday's that year as well as my friend's niece's 12th just the day before so we got plenty to celebrate. Wife and I are planning on taking him, his sister and his niece with us that year. Looks like I will need a 2 bedroom unit at my home resort of Copper Creek, unless I can figure a way to comfortably get 5 people into a 1 bedroom. I'm just estimating right now off of 2020 charts and assuming our entire block of time as Primere season costs. Even with banking borrowing, I'm gonna have to get a bunch more CCV points for that year. Hopefully via rentals but that's another hurdle right now. I plan to book my home resort since I get 11 month booking window there and I'm assuming that getting a 7 moth windows anywhere else may be harder so I'd rather have the more assured booking ready to go. I can always switch later if it finally benefits us.

I'm just trying to get a better estimate of points and costs right now so I can help everyone involved plan and save as needed. We might cut our DVC portion to a shorter amount of days as we are planning some Universal days to start and we could stay off Disney for those days pretty easily if it costs me less. That has the potential to make Magical Express of less use as we'd have to forgo it going into Orlando, which would suck but not the end of the world. I'll ask that as another question later.

SOooo, anyone with DVC point experience could possibly tell me what my season expectations should be for a MK birthday week might look like? Right now I'm assuming the worst case, but would like some general guidance if that assumption would be warranted or if there are other mitigating circumstances I'm not aware of.
Thanks all!

When you look at the points charts for this year or 2020, it shows the seasons as well as the dates. I don't think they would change the season for the special events, to my knowledge they haven't done so before. So you can just look at the current seasons. If the dates fall right at the start or end, assume the more expensive!

Janir

Original Poster
I would have assumed they change the dates for Seasons allowing them the flexibility to do just that and make it cost more at different times of the year that are different between years. , especially as their data of visitations change year over year and they see what is more popular times vs others.

nickys

Premium Member
I would have assumed they change the dates for Seasons allowing them the flexibility to do just that and make it cost more at different times of the year that are different between years. , especially as their data of visitations change year over year and they see what is more popular times vs others.

The seasons are fairly fixed. Sure, they could change them, but they tend not to year to year. If you look at early December, that is really popular because it’s a low cost points-wise time. They still haven’t adjusted that, despite years of seeing it being rally popular. Remember DVC operates at 95% occupancy year round, so all we mean by a popular time is that it books out right on the dot, and walking may be required to get what you want.

Janir

Original Poster
well one can only hope... Ran my good case numbers and I'm still short points but cost-wise easy to deal with.
If we didn't have 4 adults and one 12 yr old or a CCV 1 bedroom could be made to sleep 5 comfortably, that be a bigger savings points wise.
Booking 11 months out is still the way I want to goals I'd also prefer to book at CCV vs somewhere else. at 7 months and have to break up our stay just to get 10 days in. 10 days at Old Key West would probably fit in my points.
Guess I'll also run those numbers on the spreadsheet...
PS: Yes this is what I do for fun, plan out WDW/vacation trips. Lunch is coming up so I'll have some freetime to run a few now. :)

correcaminos

Points have not ever historically changed for special celebration years in the 15 years I've been watching. Outside of exact dates for the two holiday seasons, it really doesn't change at all.

Be more concerned about probable changes to points per night for 2021 since they reverted back at the last minute than a season change.

Janir

Original Poster
Points have not ever historically changed for special celebration years in the 15 years I've been watching. Outside of exact dates for the two holiday seasons, it really doesn't change at all.

Be more concerned about probable changes to points per night for 2021 since they reverted back at the last minute than a season change.
Thanks! Even a points per night change for the 2021 charts isn't as drastic a change as changing seasons are for points costs.
Thaks everyone who chimed in. I definitely have a warm and fuzzy handle of costs expectations for that trip. Still a ways away but knowing that it won't cost me a arm and a leg to make it happen is worth a lot of peace of mind. I made some promises that I was going to keep one way or another for that trip but knowing now that the chances of it costing a few grand more above and beyond helps me know that I casn keep our current trip plans intact and know I'm probably not going to break the bank here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom