Plot Hole In 'Beauty & The Beast' How Old Is Chip?

Bob Saget

Original Poster
@lazyboy97o made a very good point in another thread, pointing out a rather large plot hole in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Here is his direct quote:

"What I want to know is, where did Chip come from? Lumiere says it has been ten years since they were cursed while singing Be Our Guest. So either only the Prince ages (since they're counting to his birthday) or somehow a teapot gave birth to a teacup..."

I never really thought about this until reading that, but it certainly makes a valid point. Chip is certainly younger than 10 due to the way he talks/acts. So what's the deal here?

StarWarsGirl

Part of an ongoing list of contradictions in Beauty and the Beast...the rose was blooming until he was 21, which would have made him 11 when the spell was cast...I think Lumiere was exaggerating when he said "10 years we've been rusting". That's just my personal opinion.

Zman-ks

There's alot, and it all can't be explained away by "it's a magic cartoon fairy story". It's why the movie is best known for its songs, not its script.
75.gif

Maybe when your a cup or inanimate object you don't age?

Magenta Panther

Maybe when your a cup or inanimate object you don't age?

That's the logic I go with. The enchantment stopped them all from aging, except the Beast. Interestingly, originally the Beast's enchantment was going to be inflicted on him as a boy...that was Howard Ashman's idea. Supposedly a couple of the film's other writers hated the idea, because in concept drawings, the boy Beast looked like Eddie Munster. When confronted with their opinion, Howard reacted like so:

WSB%209%20Howard%20Ashman%20Kirk%20Wise%20Gary%20Trousdale%20Caricature.jpg

So anyway, maybe that's the reason for the aging discrepancies in the BatB script...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom