Plenty of rooms available for Star Wars Opening

correcaminos

I can't believe so many people take their children out of school to go to Disney. I am old school but I would never have done this with my daughter, who is now 45. We went Spring Breaks.
Growing up in a farm town, spring breaks did not exist (I'm a few years younger than your daughter). With driving through short mountains, winter wasn't an option. Nor was summer (farming season at its height) for many. So don't be so judgmental and assume people had given breaks.

No schools in my area now or then have fall breaks. None. It's not a common midwest thing at all. Spring breaks may or may not exist. Winter breaks can be short especially if not at a Christian school not to mention dangerous to drive through.

We took my son out twice for a few reasons. When we did spring break fell during a super busy time of year for volunteer work I do related to religious holidays for us (I'm slways slammed the weeks before). So until a couple years ago that wasn't an option and we took him near the end of the year in K. We also had a family reunion surrounding an anniversary so we took him out then in 2nd grade. Haven't done it since.

I do not judge others for doing as we do not know any circumstances.

Last edited:

KCheatle

I can't believe so many people take their children out of school to go to Disney. I am old school but I would never have done this with my daughter, who is now 45. We went Spring Breaks.

I think each family can weigh the pros and cons for themselves. We have taken our kids out nearly every year to go. Their teachers know in advance, and they give them homework that we do on the plane. Neither of my kids have ever struggled getting back into the swing of things when they return. If they did struggle, then that would obviously be a deal breaker for us doing it again. But, thankfully, my kids do really well with this.

We like to take them during the school year because the experience we have at WDW is so much more enjoyable. The crowds are low so the stress is low. We spend so much high quality time together that, to me, the pro far outweighs the con of missing school.

But, because we realized it was a con to take them out of school, we went one year in July (after having gone in September for a couple years). We found the experience was not even comparable. We as a family just didn't have the same quality time together. After that trip, we decided we could handle either heat or crowds, but not both. We will never go back in the summer months for an extended stay. That time of year was just too much. My DH and I decided after that trip that the time we have with our kids at home is so limited, that we're not messing around again with a good thing. So, we'll continue to go when crowds are low.

MissViv

Original Poster
That's true. I'm not even sure schools offer perfect attendance awards anymore like they used to. Used to be a big thing back in the day.

MissViv

Original Poster
That's a new one to me - never heard of whipping canes, although they did have truant officers?

I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a "how do you raise your children thread" so I apologize and maybe we can get back to the original topic of available rooms?

correcaminos

That's true. I'm not even sure schools offer perfect attendance awards anymore like they used to. Used to be a big thing back in the day.
No they don't. Even though I always had perfect attendance save literally 3 days of my whole K-12 life, I always thought they were stupid. Not everyone has a good immune system or health that allows the not to miss. Good riddance to those I say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom