Please help me decide?

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Good afternoon everyone!!

Today was fastpass+ day!! Very exciting, only missed out on slinky dog but I will keep checking back. Due to some much desired FP+ (here's looking at you FOP) I had to flip flop some park days and ADRS. I will now be doing the Fantasmic package a DHS. I selected The Brown Derby for my meal. I know this is the best option but is there any arguments to choosing Mamas (we have a Via Napoli ADR) or Hollywood and Vine (we have both other buffets and character meals)? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

zurgandfriend

Just my opinion but I think the Brown Derby is the best of the 3. I have not been to Hollywood & Vine in years. We were calling it Hollywood & Vile, I don't know if it has improved or not. Mama is okay, but as you are going to Via Napoli I think you made a good choice.

HwdStudio

Good afternoon everyone!!

Today was fastpass+ day!! Very exciting, only missed out on slinky dog but I will keep checking back. Due to some much desired FP+ (here's looking at you FOP) I had to flip flop some park days and ADRS. I will now be doing the Fantasmic package a DHS. I selected The Brown Derby for my meal. I know this is the best option but is there any arguments to choosing Mamas (we have a Via Napoli ADR) or Hollywood and Vine (we have both other buffets and character meals)? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I love Mama Melrose. Have never had a bad meal there but I still think you made the right choice. Check the menus for both to make sure there is something everyone in your party will eat. Brown Derby is a must do for us and Mama Melroae is just an occasional visit. I would never even consider Hollywood and Vine. In my opinion it is the worst food on property.

CaptainAmerica

Brown Derby has better food, but I'm not a fan of the atmosphere. Stuffy decor and it feels like they crammed way too many tables into that one giant room. If you have kids, there's the potential that they'll be bored to tears in there.

I'd go with Mama Melrose, especially for $20 less per person.

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Brown Derby has better food, but I'm not a fan of the atmosphere. Stuffy decor and it feels like they crammed way too many tables into that one giant room. If you have kids, there's the potential that they'll be bored to tears in there.

I'd go with Mama Melrose, especially for $20 less per person.

No kids just two adults, it will be covered with our dining plan. So i think we will be ok on those fronts.

CaptainAmerica

No kids just two adults, it will be covered with our dining plan. So i think we will be ok on those fronts.
That's even worse. Brown Derby costs two TS credits, while Mama Melrose is only one. Brown Derby is good, but it's not double good.

It's almost always a bad idea to do two-credit meals on the dining plan. Exceptions being Cinderella's Royal Table and the Tiffin's Rivers of Light package.

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That's even worse. Brown Derby costs two TS credits, while Mama Melrose is only one. Brown Derby is good, but it's not double good.

It's almost always a bad idea to do two-credit meals on the dining plan. Exceptions being Cinderella's Royal Table and the Tiffin's Rivers of Light package.

See I kinda felt that way but we are on the deluxe dining package and have honestly more credits then we will probably use. Hmm tough decision. Im really going to have to go through these menus with a fine tooth comb. If this helps its My boyfriends first ever trip to the world and I am planning it to the best of my abilities so in the short time there he can experience a lot of must dos and have the most memorable experiences that we can squeeze in.

CaptainAmerica

See I kinda felt that way but we are on the deluxe dining package and have honestly more credits then we will probably use. Hmm tough decision. Im really going to have to go through these menus with a fine tooth comb. If this helps its My boyfriends first ever trip to the world and I am planning it to the best of my abilities so in the short time there he can experience a lot of must dos and have the most memorable experiences that we can squeeze in.
Unless you're going to use EVERY SINGLE credit and eat all of the food at each meal, you'd be much better off canceling your dining plan and paying for everything with cash. You're going to lose hundreds of dollars (literally) if you go in with "more credits than you will probably use."

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Unless you're going to use EVERY SINGLE credit and eat all of the food at each meal, you'd be much better off canceling your dining plan and paying for everything with cash. You're going to lose hundreds of dollars (literally) if you go in with "more credits than you will probably use."

Im a TA and trust me I wont be loosing anything ;) With all the meals I have planned TS and QS we will have used each of them. If I keep HBD I will have two, 2 credit meals the other being CRT. Snacks will mainly be used for dinner at Food and Wine and Coffees in the AM.

JIMINYCR

Ive never been a fan of Brown Derby. I have dined there several times and ordered different menu selections and never felt I received enough food for the cost or dining credits. Ive come out of there still hungry. Mamas has been a better choice for us. Hollywood & Vine has gone through some changes but food quality still hasnt come up to making it a good choice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Brown derby is far superior.

If the goal is just to load the belly - there are many other options for that.

Perhaps not as good as it once was - nothing is - but still much higher quality for a park restaurant.

As far as “value”...not a single Disney restaurant has a proper value now. None. A few place in springs and a hit at a hotel here or there...the rest are massively overpriced under the guise of the dining plan. Ruined dining forever as predicated in 2006.

RiceCrispyMickey

I've never been to Brown Derby, but i've been to Mama's and would highly recommend it! We have had lovely food there every time we have been (3 times). If you are on the DDP and don't want to use 2 credits for it then i'd go with Mama's.

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I showed both menus to my SO and he said he would like to keep the HBD for our first night at Disney and have something a little nicer!! 56 days and we'll know if it was worth it :p Happy Monday Everyone!

ppet

Mama's is my favorite for dining at DHS. We've only done Brown derby once due to the fact that My DW doesn't like the menu selections. The food was good the time we ate there, but I agree that the environment is crowed and stuffy even by park standards. Whatever you do just go expecting a good time and odds are you will have it. Remember you're at the happiest place on earth already.

thomas998

I wouldn't do Hollywood and Vine anymore, we have done it several times because one daughter kept asking for it and frankly the last two times we did it the food was just garbage.

One other suggestion is don't waste your money on a Fantasmic dining experience, we've done Fantasmic with a dining experience and also done it without a few times. We've gotten a better view without and a worse view without, so don't assume just because you've paid extra that your view will be great.... If you do want a great view with the dining experience you will need to show up early so you get near the front of the dining experience line of people. Disney loves to make money and the area for dining experience includes some spots that are just not that great and to avoid that happening you end up having to get there sooner than later. We foolishly expect that when we bought it that we could justify the price by the fact that we would be able to avoid standing in line so long for a good seat, that we would just show up about the time we needed to so we didn't miss it and all would be well - didn't happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom