Plaza Inn Fried Chicken v. Flo’s Fried Chicken

Plaza Inn or Flo’s Fried Chicken

• Total voters

mickEblu

Original Poster
This is a self serving poll because I’ll be stuck at DCA and can’t get my Plaza Inn fried chicken next Saturday. How is Flo’s chicken in comparison?

MoonRakerSCM

No comparison... Plaza Inn has proper southern fried chicken (for a themepark)... Flo's has... a knock off version with somehow lower quality chicken... and a batter that is just... not good. It's too crispy... and its flavor is... just... not as good.

I can't really explain Flo's chicken. I just know I did not like it the one time I ate it (reminded me of cheap cafeteria fried chicken). No one who has had both prefers Flo's nor likes it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
No comparison... Plaza Inn has proper southern fried chicken (for a themepark)... Flo's has... a knock off version with somehow lower quality chicken... and a batter that is just... not good. It's too crispy... and its flavor is... just... not as good.

I can't really explain Flo's chicken. I just know I did not like it the one time I ate it (reminded me of cheap cafeteria fried chicken). No one who has had both prefers Flo's nor likes it.

I had a feeling this would be the case. What to do? I guess I could bribe a park hopper for some Plaza Inn?

SoCalDisneyLover

You could at least make it competitive by having it be between Knott's and Plaza Inn. Since this is a Disney board, the choice would be a foregone conclusion, but at least it would be a legit competition. FWIW, Knott's was making Fried Chicken before there was a Disneyland.

mickEblu

Original Poster
You could at least make it competitive by having it be between Knott's and Plaza Inn. Since this is a Disney board, the choice would be a foregone conclusion, but at least it would be a legit competition. FWIW, Knott's was making Fried Chicken before there was a Disneyland.

Yeah but I’m not going to Knotts

MoonRakerSCM

I've had Knott's sparingly through the years and it's always pretty good... I noted several years back that their sides were quite lacking, but it seems like they stepped it back up a bit when they did their recent remodel?

I had a feeling this would be the case. What to do? I guess I could bribe a park hopper for some Plaza Inn?

We have park hoppers for that day to keep our options open (not gunna lie, an interesting ride in Dogecoin payed for the ticket). I'm a little concerned with how the food at Avengersland seems to be a disaster... we'll probably try to arrange to have lunch there and then dinner in Dland...

If one were trapped in DCA for dinner... I usually recommend the italian place at the gardens. Their one pasta isn't too shabby and the setting is always nice in the evenings. A breadbowl from Boudin is my other go to... pretty good when they have a good seasonal soup etc.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Wow that good huh? I had it once or twice over 15 years ago but can’t remember what it tasted like.
Mrs. Knott's is the best fired chicken I have ever had in my entire life. Fried Chicken is my favorite food of all time. Have had tons of it over the years from different places, and to this day, none of them to me, hold a candle to Mrs. Knott's Chicken.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I've had Knott's sparingly through the years and it's always pretty good... I noted several years back that their sides were quite lacking, but it seems like they stepped it back up a bit when they did their recent remodel?

We have park hoppers for that day to keep our options open (not gunna lie, an interesting ride in Dogecoin payed for the ticket). I'm a little concerned with how the food at Avengersland seems to be a disaster... we'll probably try to arrange to have lunch there and then dinner in Dland...

If one were trapped in DCA for dinner... I usually recommend the italian place at the gardens. Their one pasta isn't too shabby and the setting is always nice in the evenings. A breadbowl from Boudin is my other go to... pretty good when they have a good seasonal soup etc.

Nice with the Doggecoin! I think I’ll be ok with the Birria tacos, fluffer nutter churros and either a dinner or lunch stop at Craftsman Grill now that they are allowing non hotel guests. I just wanted to know if I should even waste my time or precious stomach space on Flo’s. Sounds like a heck no. If I get into Avengers Campus I’ll be trying the shawarma and probably sharing one of those pretzels with the group.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Mrs. Knott's is the best fired chicken I have ever had in my entire life. Fried Chicken is my favorite food of all time. Have had tons of it over the years from different places, and to this day, none of them to me, hold a candle to Mrs. Knott's Chicken.

Wow. You have my attention now. Couple questions. When was the last time you had it? What are some of your other favorite spots? And have you had Gus’ World Famous fried chicken?

PiratesMansion

Eating at the Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant is a great experience, and the meal is a great value compared to Plaza Inn. It's also nice that you can eat there without having to pay park admission.

BUT...

The actual fried chicken is, IMO, the most overhyped, overrated fried chicken on the planet. Definitely inferior to Plaza Inn's chicken in all respects, except for the aforementioned value.

I can't truly speak one way or another about Flo's chicken, but I haven't been back to Flo's at all since my 2nd visit there, which saw a dramatically changed and inferior menu to what I experienced there originally.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Wow. You have my attention now. Couple questions. When was the last time you had it? What are some of your other favorite spots? And have you had Gus’ World Famous fried chicken?
Last time was in the past 10 years. I don't get out to cali as often as I like. maybe 2013-2015 I think was last time I had it. When I do go to cali I don't usually go to Knott's but if I am in that area I will stop by for the chicken alone and every time it tastes just like it did when I was kid. Just as great as it always has been. So I doubt it does not taste the same as it always has despite how long its been since I last had it. I do like Plaza Inn's fried chicken, its pretty good, overrated by the locals but pretty good. Its hard to pick some of my favorites because anytime I see fried chicken on a menu I usually always order it. So I HAVE had a ton of it in my life. My grandma's fried chicken was amazing but Knott's has got her beat too. Sorry grandma. I have not had Gus's to my knowledge. looked it up it looks like its based out of texas. I have only been to CA, AZ, NM, NV, UT and FL once as a kid for Disney World. So I can't compare it to that but its better than Roscoe's chicken and waffles, and better than any fried chicken at a chain restaurant, and many others I have had over the years. Knott's is a no brainer when I THINK of the best I ever had. I can taste it just by thinking about it. Some will disagree with me and say Plaza Inn is better, but to me, not even close.

MoonRakerSCM

Best fried chicken I've had in SoCal is at a little hoighty toighty place called Shenandoah at the Arbor. It's a dainty little place with a nice outdoor patio garden that is worthwhile for a nice meal on a cool late summer evening. They do boneless fried chicken there and it's pretty darn good.

Roscoes... I've eaten there 3 times (different locations) and twice it was a major let down... chicken was worse than a bad day at KFC... but ONE time (the Anaheim location actually) it was piping hot, fresh, and was honestly fantastic, great flavor. I've been meaning to go again and see what my luck turns out.

Best fried chicken I've ever had was a little joint in Portland called Basilisk that serves fried chicken thigh sandwiches. That was a life changing sandwich... soooo good.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Last time was in the past 10 years. I don't get out to cali as often as I like. maybe 2013-2015 I think was last time I had it. When I do go to cali I don't usually go to Knott's but if I am in that area I will stop by for the chicken alone and every time it tastes just like it did when I was kid. Just as great as it always has been. So I doubt it does not taste the same as it always has despite how long its been since I last had it. I do like Plaza Inn's fried chicken, its pretty good, overrated by the locals but pretty good. Its hard to pick some of my favorites because anytime I see fried chicken on a menu I usually always order it. So I HAVE had a ton of it in my life. My grandma's fried chicken was amazing but Knott's has got her beat too. Sorry grandma. I have not had Gus's to my knowledge. looked it up it looks like its based out of texas. I have only been to CA, AZ, NM, NV, UT and FL once as a kid for Disney World. So I can't compare it to that but its better than Roscoe's chicken and waffles, and better than any fried chicken at a chain restaurant, and many others I have had over the years. Knott's is a no brainer when I THINK of the best I ever had. I can taste it just by thinking about it. Some will disagree with me and say Plaza Inn is better, but to me, not even close.

I don’t know why I thought you lived out here. I think Plaza Inn is pretty good especially when you consider it’s at a theme park. One of these days I’ll make it out to Knotts and give it a try. Gus’ I think it’s the best fried chicken I’ve had. There’s a couple locations out here in So Cal. It’s hard to say though because I’ve had a lot of fried chicken over the years and there are many different styles. Hard to compare chicken that you’ve eaten years apart.

CaptinEO

They are both caffeteria food tier. Had Plaza Inn again just 2 weeks ago and my opinion has not changed. I don't see the hype.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They are both caffeteria food tier. Had Plaza Inn again just 2 weeks ago and my opinion has not changed. I don't see the hype.

I think the hype is misconstrued. It’s a park staple at this point. Almost at the level of dole whips. Certain food becomes popular over time because of tradition and the fact that you’re eating it Disneyland. Ambiance can bump up the flavor a little too sometimes. I also think people are pleasantly surprised that that caliber fried chicken is available at a theme park. I never ate at Plaza Inn when I was a kid. From what I understand the chicken has been there for a while. Meaning it was around when there wasn’t many options and all you could find were nasty burgers. With that said, all other factors aside I do think Plaza Inn serves solid fried chicken.

If the “hype” comes before ones first time trying something I think it’s almost impossible to meet expectations. With that said, I don’t ever really see people saying it’s best thing they ve ever eaten. It’s more like it’s their favorite or one of their favorite things to eat at Disneyland and part of the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom