Plaza de la Familia confusion

TP2000

I’m sorry, but what exactly are they advertising here?

It’s a restaurant courtyard with coco decorations, no?

I'm just going to guess that you aren't Hispanic and thus don't understand that culture. ;)

I'm not Hispanic either, far from it, but I do read the Disney Parks Blog and the Disney Parks Blog via their enlightening #DisneyFamilia series has explained to me that Hispanic people actually enjoy spending time with their families. Not only that, but it's reported that Hispanic people actually love their families and families are very important to them culturally, which is a human emotion and cultural experience that I as a White Protestant of Scandinavian descent am incapable of feeling. But I trust the Disney Parks Blog enough to believe them when they tell me that Hispanic folks love and cherish their families.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just... different.

This commercial is aimed at the Hispanic community, and speaks to their love of family and unique family culture. It's still a bit foggy for me why families would want to spend time together at a theme park, but I trust Disney to educate me.

It's also just a forgotten corner of the extra theme park that's a decorated food court with a Mariachi band and some arts n' crafts tables. They also swap out the usual Greek skewers and pizza for tacos and enchiladas. 🌮

Because, #DisneyFamilia.

You should go see it. Ahora!

TP2000

For those not in SoCal, here it is! #DisneyFamilia

Dm58amVWwAA62Dd.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm just going to guess that you aren't Hispanic and thus don't understand that culture. ;)

I'm not Hispanic either, far from it, but I do read the Disney Parks Blog and the Disney Parks Blog via their enlightening #DisneyFamilia series has explained to me that Hispanic people actually enjoy spending time with their families. Not only that, but it's reported that Hispanic people actually love their families and families are very important to them culturally, which is a human emotion and cultural experience that I as a White Protestant of Scandinavian descent am incapable of feeling. But I trust the Disney Parks Blog enough to believe them when they tell me that Hispanic folks love and cherish their families.

This commercial is aimed at the Hispanic community, and speaks to their love of family and unique family culture. It's still a bit foggy for me why families would want to spend time together at a theme park, but I trust Disney to educate me.

It's also just a forgotten corner of the extra theme park that's a decorated food court with a Mariachi band and some arts n' crafts tables. They also swap out the usual Greek skewers and pizza for tacos and enchiladas. 🌮

Because, #DisneyFamilia.

I don't know why you get so fixated on the familia and ahora stuff...

TP2000

I don't know why you get so fixated on the familia and ahora stuff...

Just because it's funny to me. The original Parks Blog posts from 2015-16 with the #DisneyFamilia stuff where they explained to us how Hispanics have a unique ability to love their families have been removed, probably because they were slightly offensive and pandering. But I remember.

TP2000

I’m all for this, but I’ve had it with the TexMex-style Mexican food that’s served in the parks. It’s Southern California and Los Angeles is less than an hour away. There’s no reason for the Mexican food in the parks to not be as authentic as possible.

Enough already.

They've had some flashes of brilliance, but I agree that for the most part it's really dumbed down and bland.

Although, now that I think about it, some of the best food is from their Lunar New Year events in this same area.

Tanna Eros

Are they offering skeletons?
I'm up for dropping off a questionnaire about my great grandfather and have a Disney Certified Artist paint his skeletal portrait.
Either that, or I can just do it myself for less.

Last edited:

Phroobar

That ad has some seriously cheap production values. Would it have killed them to up the frame rate to thirty instead of twelve?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Because, #DisneyFamilia.

Your human emotion simulation subroutine has shown great strides, TP-2000. And your cultural algorithms are well within Sigma 4 congruence. Though, your announcement of the details of your WASP interactive profile is no longer normative for this time period in human earth history, please recalibrate.

The Harmodity Collective approves of your continuance.

Last edited:

TP2000

Just to be clear, Plaza de la Familia is not just a decorated food court patio, it's a "limited-time festivity" according to Disney. Here is the official Disney explanation of this decorated food court patio exciting event.

Disney•Pixar’s Academy Award-winning hit film “Coco” is at the heart of Plaza de la Familia, a limited-time festivity at Paradise Gardens. Families visiting Plaza de la Familia can share meaningful memories of loved ones at the interactive Memory Wall, enjoy the iconic Mexican Árbol de la Vida (Tree of Life) photo location and take part in a new mask-making craft that depicts an alebrije (spirit guide) from the film “Coco.” You’ll find yourself drawn to the immersive art exhibit The World of “Coco,” the emotional Mariachi music performed on the bandstand and the delicious Mexican food menu at Paradise Gardens Grill.

And here's a short Disney produced video from when these decorations debuted in Fall 2017.

This isn't a new thing, they've been doing this in DCA's Paradise Garden food court area for a couple years now.

But in Fall 2019 they decided to put up a bunch of freeway billboards across SoCal and create a new TV commercial for it. Because, you know, it's not like they could advertise a giant Star Wars Land that's only 100 days old with a new E Ticket that only has a 30 minute wait. #Ahora

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom